A brief share, questions around volume, any contribution welcome

I don’t know if this will help, it did me when I first started with VSA

It is located in custom indicators on MT4. Just Drag and Drop

Gp

Here is an example from the CAD/JPY Daily chart (today):

look at how the rising candles at the end have absolutely no relationship in size to the volume bars, and

how the last bar is overly exaggerated!!

Thanks for your two cents. I currently use IBFX per the rec of a fellow Babypips member who trades VSA. Look forward to hearing others weigh in on the subject.

Love the VSA methodology. Many factors are at play when choosing a broker; however, with VSA, volume is such an integral data point that it needs to be near the top of the list when making the choice.

I hope this doesn’t take the thread in the wrong direction as I look forward to hearing more on methodology.

Here is what my daily CAD/JPY looks like on IBFX.

Several different Review sites, give them high marks. Also they look pretty good on the comparison chart I use as long as you’re not looking for ECN. But no commissions and swap free, and being doing business for more than 5 years are some good indications included in my 2 cents. Here’s what I used to see how thy stack up.
Forex Brokers Comparison

God, the volume bars look very different from the ones on my chart… I just looked

at your screenshot and mine, side by side… look at the last six volume bars in each

example…

head scratching

Exactly! Night and day. That is the reason for my posted question. Volume is not created equal among brokers.

Hi Guys, I find volume very difficult to get to grips with. I have also read Anna Coullings book and have watched many videos so count me in on this thread. I will continue working on it as Rome was not built in a day.

For reference this is my CADJPY Daily chart.

Hello Daxter 1962 and welcome… While we await Professor Emerald’s take on our questions, I notice that your CAD/JPY daily chart volume bars differ in behaviour/direction/size not only from mine, but also from gsofield’s… Just look at the last three,
for example!

This is one of those situations where one really could do with having Anna Coulling or anyone else well-versed in VSA
sitting down next to oneself, answering direct questions and engaging in one-to-one tuition… Or, perhaps, some sort of Skype lesson!

Hi everyone, Daxter appears to have a normal chart, the other guy has clearly delayed quotes so his broker is market making. You can tell by the gaps in the volume which shouldn’t show.

Daxter’s chart shows falling volume bars on rising prices which may be a lack of momentum not to say price won’t go higher just anomaly that requires thought.

Pip yours just appears to be pulled too tight but I see a large volume spike with a small spread candle this suggests some kind of insider buying or selling. The next candle would complete the picture. In simple terms what is happening there is price is not changing much but there is a lot of activity indicating another anomaly too much effort and very little result again you must think if this was really just buying then why are we not seeing prices go higher ? And if it was selling then why have prices not gone lower? Simply it is a battle which can be viewed more closely on a smaller time frame.

There is an indicator called VAP only available on a Ninja trader licence that will tell you exactly at what price the volume was most active.

Hope that helped a little…

Market making brokers delay quotes a lot simply because they want to know what’s happening before hand but their volume will still reveal the same thing it will just be different and it will likely lag behind the real price changes so the activity may somewhat be played down or over stated but that said all their customers will see same thing and buy at the same time but will almost always be late to enter or exit. That’s my thinking anyway.

Hello Professor!

Thank you very much for your answers, which was kind of you to give so freely.

Unfortunately my tick volume charts always display the last live bar-in-the-making as A MASSIVE BAR, as I explained before,
which means that the small-candle-versus-high-volume analysis falls flat. Given that this is a daily chart, for smaller changes one would have to zoom in, as you and Coulling say, to see what is really going on.

Somehow VSA seems to add complication rather than simplification to trading analysis… or at least that is my impression… But I hope to be re-evaluating such comments at a time when I may be more proficient in this art!

Thank you.

I am just stopping by to see if I can join the “Party”. Unfortunately, I wasnt invited so here I am just invited myslef :slight_smile:

OK, I have’nt gone through the discussion so bare with me while I catch up!

Tick Volume chart… okay, first question and I know I will be sound so dumb. Where can I find those?

1 Like

Welcome! You cannot get the Tick Volume on the mobile 'phone trading station, at least not with FXCM; on a computer, you can, with FXCM, right click on the chart and select “Show Tick Volume”… You trade with your iPhone but with which broker?

Oh really? No wonder I cannot find it. I will check to see if I have that feature on my Desktop at home. Sorry, I’m driving while texting at the moment… Shhhh lol :slight_smile:

Okay, thank you!

Hi PipNRoll
Follow the instructions on this video. He talks about how to download indicators, don’t worry is short and right after he tells you how to access them and set them up.
MetaTrader 4 - How to Add Tick Charts - YouTube

Hope that helps
Gp

Naughty! I shall pretend I did not read it … Drive safe!!

Awesome! Thank you Sir… I just hope it won’t put me to sleep! Oh wait it’s only 3 min. I can handle that :slight_smile:

Thanks again…

Haha! I am bored while Im stuck in traffic. It’s called multi- texting! Lol okay, I will…

Thanks.

You are an Honorary FX-Person, so if you cannot ‘multi-text’ then who can!

Happy pipping and see how you like the Tick Volume idea!

You know that you don’t have to use tick charts or volume and can use time charts right? I use both and I notice a difference in lower time frames,(not much) and hardly any on 4+ time frames. Tick volume or charts are not the most important parts IMO. The intensity of a certain price shifts and the phases VSA: Accumulation, Mark Up Distribution and Mark Down, are what you need to apply VSA. Check out petefaders - YouTube when you’re done that listen to Part 1, 2, 3, 4. Great description and how to apply VSA