A bunch of questions

Thank you for your reply @justshell

Will take a note of that.

Seb.

Am really learning a lot here, am new but am already feeling belonged!!

1 Like

I feel the same way @Nchebest

Yea, you learn a lot not just from the school, but from the forum convos as well lol Iā€™m on here daily just scrolling through the posts

A closer look at the pinbarā€¦

Revealsā€¦

It was just a pull backā€¦

Looking like an ABC Retracementā€¦

Now at 3.14 or Piā€¦ Will it reach the 3.168 and then come down for the Returnā€¦?

Elliot wave followers can prob see a 1,2,3,4,5 Bullish Inpulse wave hereā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for pictures @A1lenTrader

Is that Fibonacci retracement indicator?

Seb.

It is a fibonacci yes.

There is a huge number of people claiming that indicators donā€™t work. What do you think about indicators @A1lenTrader ? And how would trade a pin bar?

Seb.

I think that thereā€™s lots of different ways to trade Indicators, price action, supply demand, chart patterns etcā€¦ But its a combination of a few things that will be best and being able to manage your money and risk properly when you take the trades.
You would not just see a pin bar and take a trade, you would look for some kind of confirmation for example the red and blue lines i put at top and bottom of pin bar if price breaks through then you could have gone long or if it broke the blue gone short but thatā€™s pretty basic .

1 Like

Or letā€™s say you use the macd indicator with the rsi indicator and take your trades when macd crosses and rsi meets a certain criteria thatā€™s fine if it wins more times that loses. If you use say a R:R ratio of 1/3 so you risk Ā£10 to make Ā£30 then you could be wrong 7 times and right 3 times and still profit.

Really the best way is scan the markets for potential low risk high probability trades in which i mean a few different things are all lining up so say you have seen price is at a support / resistance area at a certain fibo level and momentum is starting to pick up and breaks the s/r level also your macd just crossed.
Iā€™m not saying use these exactly but just as an idea of what Iā€™m trying to say. Or you could keep it simple and just trade breakouts of certain areas.

Thank you for your reply @A1lenTrader

Thatā€™s what poker is all about as well - minimising risk and maximising profits.

How you get risk to return ratio at 1:3? Do you apply a leverage?

Seb.

Leverage magnifies your buying power if i put 1000 into broker and they give me leverage of 1:500 i now have 500.000 to use instead of 1000.

Risk reward ratio = if i open a trade and say put a my stop loss at 10 pips at Ā£1 per pip Iā€™m risking Ā£10 my take profit at 30 pips i make Ā£30. 1:3 R/R

So i either lose 10 or make 30

A 1:4 R/R ratio = i risk 1 to make 4 so i could put stop loss at say Ā£15 and take profit at Ā£60. So could lose 11 times win 3 and still be in profit.

Also remember if Iā€™m using leverage Iā€™m buying on margin so if i buy 1lot which is 100.000 with my leveraged money its either making say Ā£10 per pip or losing Ā£10 per pip if it goes against me so if it went against me 50 pips thatā€™s Ā£500 and that is taken of my original 1000 capital not 500.000 leveraged and i would be left with Ā£500 and get a margin call (50%) if it carried on against me i get margin stop out at 20% and my trade would be closed.

So risk to reward ratio is determined by your stop los setting. You said that, to get 1:3 you would set stop at 10 pip and profit at 30 but then, itā€™s a very tight setting. Iā€™ve seen some videos of experienced traders and they say that, most people donā€™t make any money in forex cause of tight stop los. You get traded against by those ā€˜market makersā€™ or ā€˜institutional tradersā€™ donā€™t know how you call them.
Let say for argument that, you would set up your stop at 30 pip and take profit at 90. You still get 1:3 ratio and still have to be right only 3 times out of 10 but you kind of risk more as your stop is lower.

Leverage allows you to control a larger position which comes with a bigger risk but if you only risk a 1% on a single trade, should you be concerned about a margin call?

Have you tried ā€œthe school of pipsologyā€?

Thanks for you reply @Maximus_martins

I am reading a book as I said in my first post. Iā€™ve planned to do the school of pipsology afterwards and a demo after that.

Seb.

Yeah the 10 pip 30 pip was just an example you could open a smaller lot size and set 20 pips etcā€¦

If you have a bigger balance/capital you got more margin obviously.

So if you start with Ā£1000 your 1% is Ā£10 and that would be a 1 pip stop loss on 1 standard Lot of EUR/GBP say And 10pip SL on 0.10 Lot or 100 pip stop loss on a 0.01 lot

So bear that in mind when working out position sizeā€¦

Hereā€™s a useful link to work out how much each pip is worth for the different currency pairsā€¦

https://www.mataf.net/en/forex/tools/pip-value

2 Likes

Whats your opinion on BDSwiss as a broker?