AceTraderFx Feb 18: Intra-Day News and Views (USD/JPY) & data to be released today

[B]Intra-day Market Moving News and Views
18 Dec 2015[/B] [I] 01:36GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY[/B] - ......... The greenback found renewed buying at 122.22 at European open yesterday and resumed its recent ascent to intra-day high at 122.88 in New York afternoon on dlr's broad-based strength post Fed's hike. 

However, profit-taking offers there capped gains and price retreated to 122.43 in Australia before stabilising in Tokyo morning.

BoJ will announce its rate decision at around 03:00GMT. Although no change is expected there, traders should pay attention to Governor Kuroda’s press conference at 05:00GMT.
He may provide insights on whether the central bank will look to expand its QQE program.

Bids are now seen at 122.20/30 and more below at 122.00/10 with stops building up below there whilst initial offers are noted at 122.90/00, suggesting choppy trading could be seen.

[B]Data to be released on Friday: [/B]

New Zealand ANZ activity outlook, China MNI business sentiment indicator, Japan BoJ interest rate decision, France producer prices, Italy wage inflation and Eurozone current account.

18 Dec 2015[/B] [I]04:14GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY [/B]- ..... Dlr swung 'wildly' after BoJ kept its rate decision unchanged as widely expected, however, the central bank surprised the market by extending its QE programme period, the pair fell initially to 122.36 abd then 'jumped' to intra-day high of 123.57 when the QE change was announced.

However, price then tumbled to 122.18 shortly afterwards.

Reuters then reported the Bank of Japan maintained its base money target under its massive stimulus programme on Friday but decided to expand the types of assets it purchases, targeting longer-dated government bonds and increasing its purchases of risky assets.

In a split vote, the BOJ set up a new programme buying exchange-traded funds and said it would extend the maturity of government bonds it buys to around 12 years, beginning next year.

The BOJ said the new measures were adopted to supplement the effects of its existing quantitative and qualitative easing programme.
BOJ Governor Haruhiko Kuroda will hold a news conference at 3:30 p.m. (06:30 GMT) to explain the policy decision.

21 Dec 2015[/B] [I]1:01GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY[/B] - ...... Dlr trades narrowly in early Asian morning on Monday following last Friday's intra-day sharp selloff from 123.57 (post-BOJ's rate decision's high) to as low as 121.06 in Europe. 

Traders were perplexed by the intra-day ‘wild’ swings as market later came to the conclusion the BoJ effectively did not change its QQE programme after extending the maturity period of its bond purchases.

Despite present sideways move, Friday’s 2% drop in the Dow and intra-day weakness in the Nikkie (currently down 366 points) should spur more yen-buying on risk aversion, so selling the greenback of recovery is favoured.

At present, offers are noted at 121.40/50 and more at 121.70/80 with some stops touted above 122.00. Some bids are reported at 121.10/00 with stops below there.

22 Dec 2015[/B] [I]01:21GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY [/B]- ........ Dlr pares yesterday's intra-day decline from 121.51 (Europe) to 120.84 ahead of New York midday as the greenback weakened broadly after release of weaker-than-expected Chicago Fed activity index.

However, rebound in the Dow boosted risk sentiment and triggered yen-selling.

Despite initial retreat from Australian high of 121.27 to 121.08, renewed yen-selling emerged and pushed the pair higher, suggesting consolidation above 120.84 would be seen with upside bias. Having said that, pay attention to key U.S. Q3 GDP n PCE data later today.

For now, bids are noted at 121.10-00 with stops below 120.80, however, good buying interest is touted above Dec’s low at 120.35. On the upside, offers are reported at 121.50/60 and more above with stops above 121.80.

[B]Data to be released on Tuesday:[/B]

China leading economic index, Germany consumer confidence survey, Swiss exports, imports, trade balance, U.K. consumer confidence, public sector net borrowing, U.S. GDP, PCE, Redbook, housing price index, existing home sales and Richmond Fed manufacturing index

23 Dec 2015[/B] [I]00:35GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY[/B] - ...... Dlr remained under pressure in Tuesday's trading in Europe on Tuesday and weakened to session lows of 120.72 after a surprisingly large drop in U.S. existing home sales (Nov's 10.5% fall represents the steep decline in 5 years). 

However, gain in the Dow prompted renewed yen-selling, lifting the pair back up to 121.10 right at New York close.

With Japanese financial markets closed today for Emperor’s birthday, narrow moves in the dlr majors are expected until European open.
However, pay attention to release of a slew of U.S. data later today, especially November durable goods data at 13:30GMT, street forecast is looking for a 0.6% drop following previous month’s reading of 2.9%, a worse-than-expected reading would trigger more dlr selling.

For now, bids are noted at 120.80-70 and more below (possibly from Japanese importers) with stops building below December’s low at 120.35. On the upside, initial offers are reported at 121.10/20 and more at 121.30/40 with stops above 121.50.

[B]Data to be released on Wednesday:[/B]

New Zealand imports, exports, trade balance, U.K. nationwide house price, GDP, current account, France GDP, consumer spending, Swiss KOF indicator, Italy industrial sales, industrial order, retail sales, U.S. mortgage applications, build permits, consumption, PCE, durable goods, personal income, personal consumption, new home sales, Reuters/ University of Michigan consumer sentiment index, Canada GDP and retail sales.

24 Dec 2015[/B] [I]01:03GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY[/B] - ...... Although Japanese financial markets returned from yesterday's holiday, trading today is likely to be lacklustre as many traders have already taken X'mas vacation but intra-day swings may still continue as Tokyo market is open on X'mas day. 

Price has eased at Asian open due to renewed dlr’s retreat vs its major peer currencies.
However, as yesterday’s rebound from New York low at 120.82 suggests sideways move above Tuesday’s bottom at 120.72 would continue and with Nikkie is trading high after o/n gain in U.S. stocks, consolidation with upside bias remains.

Bids are reported at 120.80-70 with stops below there, however, more buying interest is touted below there with stops building below last week’s 120.35 low.
On the upside, initial offers are tipped at 121.10/20 with stops above 121.30, however, more selling interest is reported at 121.50/60, suggesting broad sideways move are expected to continue.

Pay attention to BoJ Kuroda speech scheduled at 04:00GMT and then U.S. weekly jobless claims later today at 13:30GMT.

[B]Data to be released on Thursday: [/B]

Australia leading indicator, Swiss leading indicator, U.K. mortgage approvals and U.S. initial jobless claims

28 Dec 2015[/B] [I]01:00GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY [/B]- ....... Dlr trades above last Friday's 7-week trough of 120.06 in holiday-thinned Asian morning, with NZ & Australia together with many European centres (including U.K.) are still on holiday, sharp moves are unlikely to be seen and order flows may have strg influence on intra-day price swings. 

Although dlr showed muted reaction to the release of downbeat Japanese data earlier, sideways move with mild upside bias is seen for a minor recovery.
However, recent decline is expected to resume later today. For now, some offers are noted at 120.40/50 with stops above 120.75, initial bids are touted at 120.10-00 with stop below 119.90.

Reuters just reported Japan’s industrial output fell 1.0 percent in November from the previous month, government data showed on Monday, suggesting that sluggish emerging market demand continues to cloud the outlook for the economy.
The fall compared with a median market forecast of a 0.6 percent drop, data from the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry showed.

The retail sales also fell 1.0 percent in November from a year earlier, more than a median market forecast for a 0.6 percent decline, government data showed on Monday.
Manufacturers surveyed by the ministry had expected output to rise 0.9 percent in December and increase 6.0 percent in January.

29 Dec 2015[/B] [I]02:48GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY[/B] - ...... Dlr trades narrowly but with a soft bias in subdued Tokyo session after yesterday's retreat from European morning high of 120.63 to 120.20 in New York morning due to dlr's broad-based weakness and cross-buying in yen as decline in European & U.S. stocks triggered buying of yen for risk aversion. 

Looks like sideways move would continue b4 prospect of a re-test of last Fri’s 7-week low at 120.05 would be seen, so selling the pair on recovery is favoured.

Reuters earlier reported mildly ‘hawkish’ comments by BoJ member. Bank of Japan board member Yukitoshi Funo said the central bank will look at the long-term economic trend in guiding monetary policy and won’t expand stimulus automatically in response to short-term dips in prices, according to the Nikkei newspaper.

Funo, a former executive of Toyota Motor Corp who joined the nine-member board in July, also said Japan is on track to meet the central bank’s 2 percent inflation target as companies are steadily raising prices of their goods, and that BOJ should look at various information, not just a specific economic or price indicator, in judging whether additional monetary easing was necessary.

[B]Data to be released on Tuesday: [/B]

Australia producer price index, Italy business confidence, consumer confidence, U.S. good trade balance, Redbook, CaseShiller and consumer confidence.

30 Dec 2015[/B] [I]01:05GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY [/B]- ...... Although dlr maintains a firm undertone in subdued Tokyo trading, the intra-day sideways move in New York session yesterday despite dlr's rally vs European currencies suggests market is not interested in buying the pair due to yen's strength vs EUR and GBP. 

As financial markets in Japan will be closed for Bank holiday tomorrow, trading is likely to be lethargic in Asia n European morning n with U.S. pending home sales being the only data that may capture traders’ notice later today, further sideways move is expected to continue.

Offers are reported at 120.55/65 with some stops above there, however, more selling interest is touted at 120.90/00.
Initial bids are noted at 120.30-20 and more below with stops below 120.00, however, as reported earlier, there is market chatter of scaled-down buying interest by Japanese importer fm 120.00-119.50 area, so downside on dlr should be pretty much ltd. Therefore, if you are an avid dlr/yen trader, you’d better start singing ‘auld lang syne’ today.

[B]Data to be released on Wednesday: [/B]

U.K. nationwide house price, Swiss UBS consumption indicator, Italy producer prices, U.S. MBA mortgage applications, pending home index and pending home sales change.

31 Dec 2015[/B] [I]01:12GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY[/B] - ...... The pair is moving in familiar range in subdued Asian trading as closure of Japanese financial market for Bank holiday today ensure the pair would continue to move sideways. 

Despite yesterday’s cross-inspired marginal break of previous 120.63 res to 120.65 in New York afternoon session, lack of follow-through buying quickly sent price lower and dlr ratcheted lower in Australian morning to 120.42.
Offers are noted at 120.60/70 with some stops touted above there, some bids are reported at 120.35 and more below with stops below 120.00
However, as mentioned in previous update, there is market chatter of scaled down buying interest from Japanese importer from 120.00-119.50. So if you must trade, then buy on dips towards 120.35 or sell on further rise to 120.65/70.

U.S. initial jobless claims, MBA mortgage approvals and Chicago PMI.

[B] Intra-day Market Moving News and Views
04 Jan 2016 [/B] 02:00GMT

Today is PMI day for global markets. Reuters reported Japanese manufacturing activity expanded in December at the same pace as the previous month as new orders grew at a faster rate in a sign the economy maintained momentum at the end of 2015, a revised survey showed on Monday.

The Markit/Nikkei Final Japan Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) was a seasonally adjusted 52.6 in December versus a flash reading of 52.5 and unchanged from a final 52.6 in November - the highest reading since March 2014.

The index remained above the 50 threshold that separates expansion from contraction for the eighth consecutive month. The final index for new orders was 54.2, up from a preliminary 54.1 and a final 53.6 in the previous month.

For new export orders, the final number fell to 52.2 from a flash reading of 52.4 and from a final 53.2 in November, the survey also showed.

Japan’s economy dodged recession in the third quarter with the initial estimate of a contraction revised to an annualised expansion of 1.0 percent due to gains in capital expenditure, data showed last month.

An unexpected rise in machinery orders also suggests that business investment could help underpin growth due to improving corporate activity and domestic demand.

Reuters reported Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said today that Japan was no longer in deflation, while pledging that the government and the central bank would work together to completely defeat it.
When later asked whether such statement may be taken as hasty judgment on deflation, Abe said Japan has still not completely conquered deflation.

05 Jan 2016[/B] [I]02:30GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY -[/B] ..... Dlr regains composure in Asian morning as intra-day move back into positive territory in Chinese stocks has led to broad-based recovery in Asian stocks, Dollar rebounded from 119.10 to 119.63 as modest gain in the Nikkei has boosted risk sentiment, leading to yen selling vs its peer currencies. 

Looks like the pair would gain respite after yesterday’s selloff from 120.47 to an 11-week low of 118.70 (Europe). Having said that, dlr’s daily close below the ‘psychological’ 120.00 level bodes ill for the pair and price should head lower towards daily obj. 118.06 later this once current consolidation is over.
Offers are noted at 120.65/75 n more above with stops reported above 120.00, initial bids are touted at 119.20-10 with stops below 119.00, more stops are reported below 118.60.

BoJ Governor Kuroda is scheduled to deliver a speech at 07:10GMT.

Germany unemployment rate, unemployment change, U.K. construction PMI, Italy CPI, Eurozone inflation, Canada producer prices, U.S. Redbook and New York Index

06 Jan 2016[/B] [I]03:03GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY[/B] - ...... Dlr resumed recent decline and fell briefly but sharply from 119.17 (AUS) to a fresh 11-week trough of 118.45 as news of China authority to extend share share ban triggered another wave of yen-buying on risk aversion. 

As price has stabilised after said intra-day selloff, suggesting consolidation is in store.
However, as the Nikkei has continued to weaken, immediate short-covering rebound in the dlr is unlikely to be seen.
Offers are noted at 118.70/80 and more above with some stops reported above 119.00 and more above 119.30.
Some bids are touted above 118.50-40 and more below with stops touted below 118.00.

07 Jan 2016[/B] [I] 04:22 GMT[/I]

USD/JPY - ...... Dlr swung wildly in very hectic Asian trading caused by another day of stock market turmoil. Although the pair edged higher to session highs of 118.76 shortly after Asian open, renewed selloff in the dlr/yuan plus sharp decline in Chinese shares spooked investors, leading to broad-based buying of yen on risk aversion, dlr tumbled below daily sup at 118.06 n hit a 4-month trough of 117.66/67 before stabilising. 

Despite intra-day 7% limit down halt trading in the CSI300, rebound in the yuan prompted unwinding of long yen positions, dlr bounced back up to 118.24 near Asian midday.

Looks like the low print at 117.67 will probably be here to stay for the remainder of the day, however, unless we see a rebound in Asian shares n later European stocks, strong recovery in the dlr is unlikely.
For now, range trading is expected with some bids noted at 118.10-00 and more below with more stops touted below 117.60.
Offers are tipped at 118.25/35 with stops above there, however, more selling interest is reported earlier at 118.70/80.

Japan foreign bond investment, foreign invest in Japan stock, Australia building permits, imports, exports, trade balance, Swiss unemployment rate, Germany factory orders, retail sales, Italy unemployment rate, Eurozone economic sentiment, unemployment rate, consumer confidence, service sentiment, retail sales, inflation expectation, selling price expectation, U.S. initial jobless claims, Canada Ivey PMI.

08 Jan 2016[/B] [I]06:16GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY[/B] - ...... Dlr trades relatively narrowly in post-Tokyo lunch session after intra-day rally from 117.49 to as high as 118.60 due to broad-based active cross-selling in yen after China CB fixed the mid-point rate of the yuan higher, this was the 1st time in 9 days. Intra-day relief rally in Chinese stocks (Shanghai composite is currently up 3.3%) after Chinese authority lifted the so-called circuit breaker mechanism to halt trading. 

Looks like range trading within 118.00/60 range would continue as Asian traders are exhausted after 2 days of wild swings in early Asian trading.
However, European traders may well observe indicated range as next market focus is the release of key U.S. payrolls report. Street forecast for December jobs growth to be 200k n if the actual no. meets of beats estimate, then dlr will have more room to rally further to recoup this week’s losing streak, on the other hand, if the data surprise to the downside, then another wave of broad-based dlr bashing would occur.

In the meantime, offers are tipped at 118.60/70 and more above with stops reported above 119.00.
Initial bids re touted at 118.00-117.90 and more below, suggesting consolidation with a firm bias is envisaged.

Data to be released on Friday:

Australia retail sales, Japan leading indicator, coincident indicator, Swiss unemployment rate, CPI, Germany imports, exports, trade balance, current account, industrial production, retail sales, France imports, exports, trade balance, Italy public deficit/GDP, U.K. goods trade balance, U.S. business optimism index, non-farm payrolls, unemployment rate, manufacturing payrolls, private payrolls, average earnings, wholesale inventories, wholesale sales, Canada unemployment rate, employment change, participation rate, full time employment change and building permits.

11 Jan 2016[/B] [I]01:18GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY[/B] - ...... Dlr is nursing loss in Asian morning (Japanese financial markers are closed for 'Coming of Age' holiday) after initial selloff below Friday's 117.23 low to a fresh 4-month trough of 116.69 in Australia. Traders cited renewed selloff in the S. African rand triggered renewed wave of unwinding of carry trades, triggering stop-loss selling in usd/yen. 

Food for thought, Fri’s CFTC report revealed Japanese net positioning turned net long for the 1st time last week since Oct 2012, this explains the previous mentality of selling yen for USD in anticipation of future U.S. rate hikes has proved to be wrong.

Expect minor calm b4 the storm as market participants await the official fixing of the yuan’s mid-point rate at 01:15GMT as well as performance of Chinese stocks, so pay attention of the intra-day price swings in the CSI300 for clue.

Offers are noted at 117.35/45 and more above with stops above 117.60/70.
Some bids are noted at 117.00-116.90 and more below with stops touted below 116.60.

[B]Data to be released: [/B]

New Zealand building permits, Swiss retail sales, Eurozone sentix investor confidence, Canada housing starts and U.S. employment trend on Monday.

Japan current account, trade balance, consumer confidence index, economy watchers poll, U.K. industrial production, ,manufacturing output, NIESR GDP estimate, U.S. business optimism index, Redbook and Canada manufacturing sales on Tuesday.

China exports, imports, trade balance, France CPI, inflation ex-tobacco, Eurozone industrial production, U.S. mortgage applications and budget on Wednesday.

Japan domestic corporate goods price index, machinery orders, machine tool orders, Australia unemployment rate, employment, Germany real GDP growth, Italy industrial output, U.K. bank rate, QE total, MPC vote, U.S. initial jobless claims, export prices, import prices and Canada new housing price index on Thursday.

Japan foreign bond investment, foreign investment in Japan stock, Australia home loans, France budget, Italy consumer price index, Eurozone trade balance, U.S. retail sales, producer price index, Empire State manufacturing index, industrial output, capacity utilization, Reuters/Michigan consumer sentiment index and business inventories on Friday.

12 Jan 2016 [/B] [I]02:24GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY[/B] - ...... Dlr rebounded after retreating from 118.03 to 117.19 in New York session on Monday and then climbed back to 118.03 again in Asia today due partly to comments from Dallas Fed President Robert Kaplan (see our prev. MMN) before retreating. 

Focus of market participants for the greenback is on the speeches from Fed’s Stanley Fischer, BoJ’s Governor Kuroda and Fed’s Lacker at 10:00GMT, 10:30GMT and 20:15GMT respectively, therefore, dlr/jpy pair is expected to continue to move sideways in Asia.

At present, bids are reported at 117.60-50 and then 117.40-30 with stops just below 117.20.
On the upside, offers are noted at 118.10-20 and around 118.30 with stops above 118.50.

Japan current account, trade balance, consumer confidence index, economy watchers poll, U.K. industrial production, ,manufacturing output, NIESR GDP estimate, U.S. business optimism index, Redbook and Canada manufacturing sales.

14 Jan 2016[/B] [I]01:47GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY[/B] - ..... A sea of red is seen among Asia equity markets as o/n selloff in U.S. stocks triggered fresh wave of selling with the Nikkie leading the way and tumbled 4% shortly after the open on Thursday, so the Japanese yen and also the euro were bought as risk aversion trade whilst investors shunned risky currencies like aud, nzd and cad with the loonie falling again vs the usd in Asia to another fresh 12-year low of 1.4383. 

Offers are tipped at 117.70/80 and more at 118.00/10, some bids are noted at 117.30-10 are with stops touted below 117.00, however, there is market chatter of fairly large stops below Monday’s 4-1/2 month bottom at 116.69, suggesting selling dlr on intra-day recovery is the way to go.

Despite PBOC setting yuan’s mid-point rate at 6.5616 (previous close at 6.5743), current offshore USD/CNH has currently jumped to 6.5000, suggesting dlr would remain under pressure vs the yen in Asian session.

Japan domestic corporate goods price index, machinery orders, machine tool orders, Australia unemployment rate, employment, Germany real GDP growth, Italy industrial output, U.K. bank rate, QE total, MPC vote, U.S. initial jobless claims, export prices, import prices and Canada new housing price index.

15 Jan 2016 [/B] [I]01:55GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY[/B] - ...... Although dlr ended Thursday's session above 118.00 level after swinging wildly in Europe & New York as rebound in U.S. stocks boosted risk sentiment and led to broad-based yen-selling, price rallied from New York morning low of 117.43 to as high as 118.28. 

Despite initial sideways move ahead of Asian open and a higher open in the Nikkie, intra-day rise in USD/CNH (offshore) after the morning PBOC yuan’s mid-point fixing triggered a sudden wave of yen buying and pressured the pair to 117.85.

Looks like dlr may orbit the 118.00 level in directionless Asian morning as offers are tipped at 118.20-40 area with stops above there, some bids are noted at 117.85-75 and more below with fairly good buying interest at 117.30-20.

Traders are expected to take cue from intra-day Asian and later European stocks’ movement, however, pay attention to a slew of important U.S. economic data due out later today, in particular, Dececember retail sales, street forecast is looking for a ‘flat’ growth vs previous reading of 0.2%, a weaker-than-expected number would pressure U.S. stocks and the usd vs yen and euro.

[B]Data to be released on Friday:[/B]

Australia home loans, France budget, Italy consumer price index, Eurozone trade balance, U.S. retail sales, producer price index, Empire State manufacturing index, industrial output, capacity utilization, Reuters/Michigan consumer sentiment index and business inventories

18 Jan 2016[/B] [I]01:28GMT[/I]

[B]USD/JPY[/B] - ........ Although the greenback fell sharply in NZ to as low as 116.58, failure to penetrate last Friday's low at 116.51 triggered short-covering and price rebounded strongly to 117.13 in Tokyo morning as BoJ Governor Haruhiko Kuroda kept an upbeat view of the country's economy during his speech earlier. 

Trading is going to be relatively thin today with U.S. markets closed for Martin Luther King’s birthday holiday.
Some offers are seen at 117.20/30 and more above at 117.40/50 with stops building up above there whilst initial bids are noted at 116.60/70, suggesting choppy sideways trading would be seen.

[B]Data to be released: [/B]

Japan tertiary industry index, industrial production, capacity utilization, U.K. house price index and Italy trade balance on Monday.

New Zealand business confidence, China GDP, industrial production, retail sales, Germany Harmonised index of consumer prices, CPI, Swiss producer and import prices, Euro zone current account, inflation, construction output, economic sentiment, U.K. retail price index, producer price index, consumer price index, house price, Germany current condition, economic sentiment, U.S. housing market index, net long-term TIC flows, overall net capital flows and foreign buying T-bonds on Tuesday.

New Zealand CPI, Germany producer price index, U.K. unemployment rate, average earnings, claimant change, Swiss investor sentiment, U.S. mortgage application, CPI, building permits, housing start, Redbook, Canada manufacturing sales, wholesale trade and BoC rate decision on Wednesday.

New Zealand manufacturing PMI, Japan all industry activity index, France business climate, U.K. housing survey, Euro zone interest rate decision, consumer confidence, U.S. initial jobless claims and Philadelphia Fed survey on Thursday.

Australia Westpac consumer confidence index, Japan manufacturing PMI flash, China business sentiment indicator, France manufacturing PMI flash, Service PMI flash, Germany manufacturing PMI flash, Service PMI flash, Euro zone manufacturing PMI flash, Service PMI flash, U.K. retail sales, public sector net borrowing, U.S. Chicago Fed national activity index, manufacturing PMI, existing home sales, CB leading indicator, Canada CPI and retail sales on Friday.