American killed by stone age tribe in Indian ocean islands

Very valid points there @sprotz. - Myself I take the other side of the view - I’d love to have the chance to just walk away from the modern idiom and go live in a wood somewhere.

But whether one shoud be allowed to go round murdering people just because you happen to live in a wood ?

Difficult to say really - I LOVE a bit of “cognitive dissonance” like these things tend to flag up !

Living as a 21st century caged domesticated animal, with “Hunter - gatherer” emotions ! 20,000 years out of date :joy:

That’s one of the psychlogical factors which makes trading so difficult in practice.

I think that if you up and went to live in the wood as an adult with prior knowledge of contemporary civilization you very much should not be allowed to murder people just because they entered your terrirory, if they didn’t pose any physical danger to you as far as you knew. But if you have no knowledge or concept of the outside world, then it wouldn’t be fair to judge you in the same way.

2 Likes

It is a very sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victim’s families. There are so many tribes that we don’t know them yet. People who live in isolation should be kept that way. There is no replacement for life. I hope that the victim’s family will find the patience.

I really hope that no more people will try to approach the island like that and there will be no more tragedies.

Too late!

May not the same island/tribe but it’s of the same nature.

1 Like

I am disappointed but not at all surprised, unfortunately.

If the Native Americans were hostile, then they would be alive today. If someone wants to live in isolation, then we should respect their wishes. I feel sorry for the guy that lost their lives. My prayers are with his family and friends. But we shouldn’t blame the isolated tribe.

Some of them were hostile. Some, especially the Comanche and Huron were absolutely savage they butchered settlers. Others bounced between hostility and friendship, most famously the Powhatan against the first Virginia settlers.

They are still alive today. They are found in reservations or integrated into the rest of society, and for some their culture and customs still exist, for others, their culture is lost.