Backtesting for a new trader

Hi Guys :smile:
I’ve been on babypips for around 6 months now working my way through the course. I am now at the end of it and would like to start backtesting a basic strategy I have come up with. My question is, which platform is the best for going back and manually backtesting a strategy? I have been using tradingview up till now, but it is quite inconvenient as every time I change the time frame, it takes me back to the current day and I lose where I was. Is there a better platform for backtesting that I should be using?
Thanks for any help :slight_smile:
John

1 Like

Try MT4 - you can open offline charts in the same currency pair under several timeframes. It always stays where you left off.

1 Like

Yes you can use Mt4 trading platform! But I also used Forex-tester 2 software! It provides last 17 years market data with multiple trading currencies!

1 Like

I also have back-testing experience with FT2; really good one! No technical error! I prefer back-testing than demo practicing for novice trader! Demo is time consuming!

Thanks, I’ll check out mt4.

Thanks, did you pay for Forex tester? I can’t afford to spend £299 on it so it isn’t really an option for me at the moment. Maybe in the future once I start trading for real and I’m earning a bit of money from it.

Exactly, you don’t need to pay for anything. Everything you need is avaliable for free online. The paid for products are identical to the free products; just packaged differently with unnecessary marketing.

Actually I just watched a YouTube video demonstrating Forex tester 3 and it looks brilliant. I think it would be incredibly useful to have, but that said, I’m not going to spend £299 on it

Can you use metatrader 4 for free?,
Is Metatrader 4 better than Metatrader 5?

of course it’s free, as is MT5. For the purpose of testing it’s a fine platform. MT4 just happens to be easier to download historical data, for free, which I assume you will need.

For the next 12 days it’s available at a discount price of $199.

I use it and recommend it. It really is as good as it looks.

It’s also sometimes possible, through forums, to buy a license-transfer for the software for prices around $100, and product licenses are transferable.

if you’re lazy and can’t be bothered doing manual testing then feel free to get it - the question you have to ask yourself though is how do you learn.

I think we both no the answer here :wink:

ps. You can also get it for free - it’s not difficult after looking for 10 minutes online.

Well I would use forextester for manual testing not automated testing. The benefit of it as far as I can tell is that you can play out any day as it would have happened, so you cant see whats going to happen. Thats another problem with tradingview, if you can see whats going to happen you can’t get a true idea of what your strategy would do because you’ll have a bit of bias. I’m not sure how backtesting on mt4 works, ill check that out later.

I just watched a tutorial on MT4 backtesting, and it seems that it does exactly the same thing as forextester. ft may have more features for automatic testing but im not interested in that anyway. Thanks for saving me £300! :smiley:

1 Like

Might so many platform trading, like as ninjatrader, cTrader, PTMC etc, but so far might already become default platform and many broker using mt4, hence I am only using this platform, and in my view this platform also already complete feature

Back test is always perfect. I don’t trust it. Best is look at the chart for immediate price action. U will know what I’m talking. Y I say back test is always perfect

this is one of the examples I post b4 of the breakdown

How can you see price in amongst that mess.

That is zoom out, so will see it like in a mass. But whenever I trade I will zoom in into last 2 candles only. 10m is my trigger. When see 10m prove pass over Sar. But when change to 4h or 8h TF, prove haven touch Sar. So i wait for the price to touch the Sar. When it touch the Sar on the higher time frame I place my order.

Now my platform don hv the below indecator. Ao