Bank Research Consensus Weekly 06-15-09

With the recent sell-off in bonds, markets have moved to price in a first hike in the fed funds rate as early as December. In the meantime, long-term interest rates have continued their upward climb, with the 10-year US Treasury yield now at 3.9%.

[I]Stephen Roach, Head Economist, Morgan Stanley [/I]

[B]Weekly Bank Research Center 06-15-09[/B]

[B] [B][B][/B][/B][/B]

[B][B][B][/B][/B][/B]

[B][B][B][B][B] Coming to Terms with the Term Premium [/B][/B][/B][/B][/B]

[I] Stephen Roach, Head Economist, Morgan Stanley [/I]

With the recent sell-off in bonds, markets have moved to price in a first hike  in the fed funds rate as early as December. In the meantime, long-term interest  rates have continued their upward climb, with the 10-year US Treasury yield now  at 3.9%. While central banks will certainly start to normalise policy rates once  the recovery is entrenched, a beginning of rate hikes any time this year seems  premature, in our view. For longer maturities, by contrast, we continue to  believe that the medium-term outlook is for higher yields, for two reasons.  First, with a large chunk of QE programmes yet to come, excess liquidity looks  set to continue its rapid growth, supporting risky assets and the real economy,  but raising inflation risks further down the road. Second, macroeconomic  uncertainty is back with a bang, bringing with it rising term premiums.  

Full Story

<b style=""> [B][B][B]

[B] A Look At Our Global Scenarios From an FX Perspective [/B]

[/B] [/B] [/B] <em> Niels-Henrik Bjørn Sørensen, Senior Analyst, Danske Bank

The main scenario calls for a sustained and stronger than expected global  recovery, putting an end to the global recession in Q3 09. On the FX market,  this is likely to lend support to currencies with strong commodity exposure and  better-than-G10-average domestic fundamentals (AUD, CAD, and NOK), and  facilitate a correction in those currencies that were sold off to become  fundamentally undervalued as risk appetite abated (GBP and SEK). By contrast,  currencies that benefited from the global financial deleveraging, and which  remain potential funding currencies, (CHF, JPY, and USD) are likely to be under  pressure.                                                                                                

Full Story

<b style=""> [B][B][B] [B] Canada – Reality Check for Pending Recovery [/B]

[/B] [/B] [/B] [I] Steve Chan, Economist, TD Bank Financial Group [/I]

While markets are anticipating a recovery, indicators of global demand remain  weak and we maintain the view that the worldwide rebound will be sluggish.  Those global imbalances between developed world spending and emerging market  lending remain yet to be unwound. Bank of Canada Governor Carney conveyed a  similar view in a sobering speech Thursday. Carney noted the downdraft to global  investment demand and consequent diminished potential growth in developed  economies. However, he also noted new opportunities as emerging markets shift towards greater consumption.  

Full Story

<b style=""> [B][B][B] [B] Pound Rallies on Signs of UK Recovery [/B]

[/B] [/B] [/B] [I] Trevor Williams, Chief Economist at Lloyds TSB Financial Markets [/I]

The pound was buoyed by data this week suggesting the UK could emerge from  recession as early as the current quarter. This saw £/$ briefly rally though  1.66, before ending the week 3% higher at 1.6492. The pound also rose to a  six-month high against the euro, £/€ gaining 2.8% to 1.1769 at the close of the  week. The US$ had another volatile week, but the dollar index rallied on Friday  to close above 80. It still ended the week modestly weaker against the euro and  yen, at 1.4014 and 98.30 respectively. Further broad gains for commodity prices  and equities this week, with crude oil breaking though $72, saw most  commodity-linked currencies extend recent gains. The Australian and New Zealand  dollars were also boosted by positive economic data, leading them to rise  through 0.82 and 0.64 respectively against the US$.  

Full Story

<b style=""> [B][B][B] [B] Other Pre-screened Independent Contributors[/B]

[/B] [/B] [/B] [I] J-Chart [/I]

J-Chart is an innovative charting and bias-neutral market analysis tool. Based  on its proprietary theoretical concept and display of market price action,  J-Chart provides a much clearer and unique insight into the market than  conventional charting methods.  This innovative charting and market analysis  tool is designed to visualize market price action that constructs unique price  patterns called "Equilibriums". Based on its "non-fixed time frame" concept and  "Kinetic Equilibrium" application, J-Chart users are able to forecast markets'  future movements with high accuracy.  

J-Chart Weekly Newsletter

[I][B]Compiled by David Song, Currency Analyst[/B][/I]