Best demo account for mac

Hi everyone, this is my first post, I have been playing round on demo accounts for a few weeks on a couple of different platforms but have come to quite like Meta trader 4.

I’ve been working my way through pip school which I’m a big fan of and watching some different YouTube videos which I find very good also.

I have just got a new laptop but it’s a MacBook and have been told I have to install wine in order to run it mt4 on a mac, so my question really was would you recommend a better platform than mt4 that is made for mac or would you go through the wine route.

I know a lot of people are probably going to say the platform depends on what you want to do but I’m still trying to find my feet, I have no real strategy at the moment so maybe a good all rounder just so I can find a direction I want to go in and understand the principles and then maybe move into a more tailored platform for whatever path I choose.

Is what I do know is I want to day trade, quite liking learning the technical analysis charts and lines etc and was going to stick to forex to begin with.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Jack

Check out Dukascopy’s JForex platform. Works great on Mac.

Hi Jack,

FOREX.com offers a web version of MT4 that will allow you to run the platform on your Mac without having to install Wine.

The web version is a good option if you need to check something quick on your trading account but cannot run the desktop version (for some reason). However the web version has IMO too limited functionalities and I don’t find it that attractive. I know there are brokers that offer a desktop version of MT4 for MAC which can be installed without any emulators etc. I am not sure how it’s done but assume that they have paid someone to program the application which includes the needed steps for MAC installation, allowing the end user to skip them, which is actually cool :wink:

1 Like

Great points @eyedfondue :slight_smile:

Another option is to run the full Windows version of MT4 on a virtual private server (VPS).

This is a popular solution for Mac and PC users alike if they run automated strategies AKA expert advisors on MT4. Since the forex market trades 24 hours a day during the week, the advantage of a VPS is that it allows you to keep running your EA even when your own computer is turned off or disconnected from the internet.

You can access the MT4 platform on your VPS from any computer (Mac, PC, Linux) with an internet connection. You can even access the VPS via web browser when you are at the office or using a public computer.

1 Like

Prorealtime can be worth a check.

1 Like

Yes @solversen

TradingView is another platform that will work for Mac users.

Yes, using a VPS is indeed a solution for all MAC users. Additionally to what you mentioned choosing a VPS, located close to the server of your broker may reduce your latency = better execution. However if you are not using EAs which need 24h a running platform and you don’t care that much about 50-100 milliseconds faster connecntion you might prefer not to pay monthly fees for virtual private server.

I ve made an account with FxPro, they have a native app for mac and i am quite happy with it! It was one of the few i found that are NoT web based.