Between fear and greed in trading, which would you rather have?

well…yeah! that works too lmao and trading is what, 80 percent psychology and 20 percent technical? Imagine, just learn how to control our emotions and we’ll kill the market lol the technical to me is not hard at all

1 Like

Both are hard for me lol so at least you’re finding ease with one thing at least! Just a few more decades (!!!) and maybe I too can kill the market!

Yes id choose fear anyday, at least that ay your not losing anything if youre not in anything. We all know sometimes it better to not be losing anything on your account then being in trades for the sake of it

Great way to put it!

i agree with most traders above. fear is far better than greed. no good comes out of greed.

Well, of course we all agree that both of those innate emotional behaviors is bad. And, needless to say, we all know that the absolute best way is being objective. Now…given all that as a prerequisite, and to enter in deeper, past all that most obvious way we should be…I would have to say I would pick greed. Why?

Well, one reason is, that I feel the market acts mostly out of greed. So it would be like you would be more in tune with how it flows than you would with fear. I’m just saying that in that respect.

Another reason is, that I think you would have a better chance of learning something, actually anything, coming out of a greed mentality than a fear mentality. I mean, it is all about whether we learn or not. Also whether we can learn or not. And as I see it, if you are coming from a fear aspect, chances are you might not get to the learning ideal.

They say it’s easier to steer a ship once it’s moving. I would equate greed with the ship moving, likewise fear with the ship not moving.

And, again, to wrap all this up, I would have to remind us that nothing is better than to be objective, see both sides of everything. Cause if you want to know about probabilities, which I feel is the best way to go about it, then you absolutely need to be objective in the first place. Right?

Anyway. For this question…I tried to be objective about my conclusion.

Mike

1 Like

I was ‘fear’, for sure… just feel that greed would do more damage. But really ideal would be to overcome both, or should I rather say learn to control those emotions in order to be a better trader :wink:

Greed, my first word on this forum. Very bad. That is the feeling that make you loose the total amount of your account. Too big size for a position. Too much risk. Too long wait for a winning trade. Too much expectation of a day of trading.

Fear is very important. We must feel the danger, feel the heart beat and take care of what we are doing, go back to risk management, follow the rules. Avoid to loose too much too fast.

Fear is a natural feeling, while greed is only a negative attitude of many people.

I need fear to stay alive.

Both!. ’ Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful’ - Warren Buffet .In other words, buy low and sell high.#Dow TheoryDOW THEORY

2 Likes

Greed can give u temporal wins called unjustified wins. U cant sustain these wins because they lack a trading plan. Greed can take u into gambling and lose all eventually. Fear can make u lose opportunities as u confined to small wins which u re confident of. For me Fear is a better evil

2 Likes

fear no go let you start at all. :joy:

3 Likes

Makes sense! I think fear can also just keep you frozen in action. Start trading then be fearful and just be stuck there vs. greed which can possibly continuously propel you to experience and learn more.

Thoughtful answer. Thanks for stopping by here, @MikeWolski! Appreciate it.

Yep, that’s the dream!

Good perspective too. But don’t you think fear can also keep you from doing things that you wouldn’t have done otherwise? (Something that can help you grow?)

This is not a question that needs to be Answered, but rather a question to determine your state of mind, when Trading. If I FEAR a trade, I do not enter it, if a Trade is going to make me money, I will enter it, this would then mean Greed, as per the poll. I say, that it is not Greed but rather an analytical choice. Case in point, how many traders realized what would happen to “BOEING” after 2 fatal accidents within a month? Did they TRADE “Long” or “Short”? This does NOT constitute GREED.

Fear is a measure of control. While greed can damage or destroy all that have been laboured for. Greed leads to total collapse of everything. God bless.

millions of people stuck in 9to5s all because of fear lol so yes, FEAR allllll the way

1 Like

I prefer greed. In this case, you’ll loose some money, but, only in the case where you learn your lessons, you can evolve from there and make better choices ( rathar than fear, where you aint making none ).

2 Likes

Either fear or sheer complacency lol. Are you trading full-time now?

No I’m still working, but that’s one of my ultimate goals is to be able to trade full-time,. It’s a work in progress

Yeah the important thing is you have a goal you’re working towards!

1 Like

most definitely! everyone needs to have a plan ya know?