Blowing a live account

That makes sense. I just figure if you are going to open a live account with $200, then open your demo with $200! That way you can replicate your demo trading in live.

I too am profitable :blush: I had a return of 52% in my first year and I am sitting at 339% this year (I use the financial year in Australia which is 1 July - 30 June).

2 Likes

Excellent, well done. You should teach on this site…

1 Like

Thank you, but I don’t think so! I still feel like I am learning. I did the whole Baby Pips course and took about 120 pages of notes. I then went through the notes and condensed them to about 40 pages. I developed a strategy and back tested it (that took a while) and then demo traded it for about 6 months before going live. The aforementioned probably took 12-18 months all up. That’s a lot of prep work, but I think it was worth it. Oh, and I’m a financial adviser so I have reasonable knowledge of markets etc. I think a lot of people don’t want to put in that leg work first and think they are going to make millions straight away. It’s a bit like someone finishing school and wanting to be a CEO without going to university/college/trade school etc and working their way up. Sadly, there is a generation of people like that (here in Australia anyway). They don’t want to work to achieve anything, they expect it to be handed to them. That’s my two cents!

6 Likes

Beginners usually blow their account because of lack of proper knowledge and profitable strategy. However it is perfectly normal to do so; in forex trading we learn majorly from our mistakes. Also, most of the traders don’t practise in a demo account before moving to a live account; therefore, they don’t know the market behaviour and end up blowing their account.

2 Likes

Thank you , I’m humbled

Cheers :clinking_glasses: a very awesome :+1: piece of advice, so getting enough information and knowledge is key.

imo it’s not neccessary to blow your account. However, if you are still learning on a live trading then there’s definitely a risk of blowing it. I would just suggest keeping the fund minimal like $100 at best so you arent loosing to much.

1 Like

never give up, FX trading is a journey that you’ll experience many hurdles on your way but if you master you’ll reap

It is about learning more than about blowing your account. Blowing your account will make you learn so many new things on the way.
But this is simply not a good idea, even if it seems feasible. So practise on a demo account until perfection ensues.

1 Like

Well, there is no written or unwritten rule that says you must blow up your live account to mark the right beginning for success in forex trading. It is just very common and normal to blow up your first trading account. Many successful traders have blown up their first live account, but it is better to make every possible effort to protect your account no matter how small it is. It will be a good practice to develop the kind of attitude and mindset that you will require for being a successful trader.

1 Like

I do not believe it is a hard and fast rule that a person must blow his account at least once so that he gains consistent profits. Some people have blown their accounts, and gained good profits after. But there are also some people who have blown their accounts but still did not make good profits, or suffered more losses than profits. Hence, it is best not to risk blowing your account. It does not increase the potential reputation of a trader, nor is it fun to lose all your trading capital.

1 Like

The only acceptable reason for blowing up an account should be a Black Swan event. Something so rare that you can’t plan for it and so serious that it wipes out your risk management tactics.

Price movements on an interest rate change or unemployment data or inflation estimate announcements are not Black Swan events.

1 Like

Blowing a live account just means that you need to work hard on your trading knowledge. And I think failures let us know the potential areas of our improvement. But it does not mean that one has to lose in order to learn. Learning comes with time too. Success also teaches us something new. Failures obviously impact us more than success because we are oriented in that way.

1 Like

Actually most new traders blow up their first trading account. But you don’t really need to actively try to blow up your first account in order to become successful. Even if it’s a micro account, try to trade seriously. It will help to prepare and train your mind for bigger trades. If you happen to blow up the account by chance, that’s pretty normal and common. Always focus on risk management and keep learning. Good luck!

1 Like

Due to a lack of appropriate information and a profitable approach, beginners frequently lose their entire account. However, doing so is entirely acceptable because we learn the most about forex trading through our mistakes. Additionally, the majority of traders do not train on a demo account before switching to a live account; as a result, they are unaware of market behaviour and end up losing their entire account.

1 Like

I think blowing an account will shatter your confidence. Losing is inevitable, and losses teach us more than profits (they both teach us something, but losses have more emotional attachment involved than profits, in my opinion). You must use risk management strategies to avoid heavy losses that ultimately lead to a blown up account.

1 Like

Nit actually! You can use the demo trading opportunities to improve your trading skill! There is no way to learn Forex without practice; so use the virtual money instead of your real capital!

1 Like

It’s great you opened a micro trading account. But what’s the point of blowing up your account? If you are an advancing trader, it’s better that you learn money management, and make proper usage of leverage. If you blow up your account, you will lose all your profit. Is it some kind of bad thing that is ‘cool’ to do these days, like drugs?

1 Like

For a beginner, it is very common to blow a live account. It offers a good learning curve to traders because they then know things that they shouldn’t do. Hence, experiencing failure is necessary to experience real success. It is not a compulsion, though, but it will make you learn much more in your trading journey.

1 Like

I would say you should be using a tight risk management plan no matter how small your account is. You should be trading a small account with the same seriousness that you would have for a bigger account. It is ok if you lose money after trying your best. But try to keep your drawdown in limit at all costs.

1 Like