Bold move by this German newspaper šŸ˜²

Hi guuuys! :blush: I canā€™t sleep and I found myself reading more articles about the coronavirus online. :thinking: And I just saw this news about a German newspaper charging China for ā€œcoronavirus damages.ā€ :open_mouth:

What do you think of this? :open_mouth: Personally, I donā€™t think itā€™s a super crazy idea. I think itā€™s just a way to hold China accountable for their neglect during the earlier emergence of the virus. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Hopefully that Ā£130bn invoice in a recurring monthly invoice that continues through perpetuity! :rage:

1 Like

I hope my country does something like this, but with the current president being a dog of that country, weā€™re basically just thanking them for being ā€œfriendsā€ :angry:

Yeah go for it. They tried to suppress news about the virus early on. Even some doctor got silenced for trying warn doctors. Unfortunately he passed away.

Would be nice if that would be taken seriously. Or if an actual world leader is doing it! Kind of hard when itā€™s a tabloid. :sweat_smile:

My understanding is that the Bild, which is a tabloid newspaper, is the German equivalent to the least journalistic stuff coming out of Fox News. So maybe a stretch to take it 100% seriously.

Any German locals have the insider scoop on that?

China shot back with an open letter to Reichelt, editor-in-chief, denying the allegations and denigrating the paperā€™s ā€œnationalism, prejudice, and hostility against China.ā€

The letter from Chinaā€™s embassy said: ā€œI followed your reporting on the corona pandemic in general and Chinaā€™s alleged guilt in particular today. Apart from the fact that we consider it a pretty bad style to blame a country for a pandemic that is affecting the whole world and then to present an explicit account of alleged Chinese debts to Germany, the article ignores some essential facts.ā€

It added: ā€œWe note that many countries now struggling with COVID-19 have had time to prepare for the cross-border spread of the pathogen after China reported its outbreak under IHR [World Health Organization] guidelines.ā€

http://www.china-botschaft.de/det/sgyw/t1770161.htm