Bollinger band trading with MAs

For the slower-witted among us, might you provide a screenshot example of this? I have the 2:1 boll on my daily but, quite frankly, have never quite figured out how to interpret it.

You made me collapse my charts. :D:D

Look to the right hand chart. On the daily but applicable on 1h and up. Notice 2:1 boll will step across and flat top/bottom especially after a wick and step inside the 2:1 boll.

Might need to expand to 500%.

Zoom

That one went right over my head. :eek:

I did expand them to 500% but am not seeing what you are describing. I think your giant brain is still operating on another dimension from mine.

Can anyone else step in an explain/illustrate (coughTaloncoughSanMiguelcough)? :smiley:

Yep its a Brit expression (all be it old)… God Bless their Cotton Socks… is a turm of endearment. But in this case. :D:D

PA will usually remain in the 2:1 boll on the daily. If it steps out and retraces it leaves a wick/ wicks. When the 2:1 boll flattens off (upper or lower band)and PA returns within the 2:1 boll you will get a flat edge (upper or lower dependant on which way PA is heading) of the 2:1 boll.

Think along the lines of a 20:2 boll. When PA hits the outer bands and above and wicks it reverses. On the 2:1 boll it does the same. Wicks outside the 2:1 and comes back into the 2:1 boll but leaves a flat top or bottom. A strong clue to a likely PA reversal.

is this what you mean by flat top, the upper bollinger I circled. Hope it shows up ok on this pic. So if the boll flattens on top what does that mean for PA ? Expect a big down move?

Ok I thought it might be something like that or the apposite.

I think he means like this also known as tweezers

By jcgibson at 2009-11-25

:confused: OK :smiley:

I got stuck watching that tweezer move on EU I forgot to check GU and misses it.

I am sure you are enjoying it though.

my eyes quit focusing about an hour ago so I am calling in a night.

I’ll leve all these pips for the rest of you guys.

Yep Mike the 2:1 boll only not the 20:2 boll.

If you took off all indicators and just left the 2:1 boll on the daily (for the purposes of this example). When PA stepped outside and wicked and came back into the 2:1 boll its very likely to be tradable. Whether its a big down/ up or not I couldnt say its the same game as the 20:2 boll but on a bigger scale… might be 50 pips or 350 pips?

Rather annoyingly got stopped out at b/e lastnight and then PA went on to hit my target down at 1.6650 :rolleyes:
I’m in for the Daily breakout south but it looks to be having a little trouble on the 1hr 60SMA area - it’s also on the lower 1hr boll so may hedge it if there’s a bullish candle on the 15min.
[B]Edit: closed for +84[/B]

Look at today (26 Nov 09) where you go from the bullish daily candle, 2 wicks, then a flat 2:1 boll:

OK, thanks for all the replies, guys, I think I’m getting it. I have my Daily chart here for GBP/USD and put arrows to show the flat tops and bottoms to which you refer.

(My 2:1 boll is the black line bordered by the aqua lines.)

So when I see PA move from a position outside the 2:1 boll (creating a wick) to back inside the body of the candle I should look for a sign the outer boll is creating a [I]flat line[/I] at that point.

This then is a sign I should look for an entry on a lower TF chart to enter in the direction indicated by the aforementioned flat top/bottom, as a longer trend move is likely in that direction.

Is that right?

That is exactly right. Also strictly speaking you should also look to shorter TF trades in the direction of the newly established daily direction. But counter trades can net pips but its more risky. :slight_smile:

Looking like support at 1.6500.
The entry on a long isn’t too good though at present…over 50pips between that and the low on the 15min chart and it’s against the Daily candle.
Might leave this one…

Looks like the ‘fake out breakout’ in progress? Initial break north strong then fall back then next long with less momentum and gradually a turn north when center boll gets less of a down angle or levels off.

you mean tried to fakeout below 1.65 or it’s a fake break north before heading down further?

I’ve been loooking at the H1 and M30 charts. My LWMA’s have crossed on the M30 but not on the H1 yet. I’ve left this alone primarily because centre BB line is pointing so far in a southward direction.

Is this right and should I have considered anything else? The LWMA’s (i’m using the new ones as per Mr Carter’s post a couple of pages back) crossing alone is not a good enough entry signal, is it?