Bollinger band trading with MAs

This is a question for TalonD
When you close part of a position with Oanda by selling 1/2 of a long position is a spread calculated on the second transaction? or is just 1/2 the original position closed?

It’s a little confusing, but looks like the way it works is the spread is calculated on the half that is closed. So say the spread is 4 pips. When you close half the position, you loose whatever that half amount is times the spread and same thing happens when you close the remaining half.

I couldn’t figure it out. I had a preopen trade with a 10 pip spread on it I wanted to close 1/2 but I didn’t know what would happen with that big spread.
I closed out the whole trade to be safe.

Yeah, to quote the article, “We may not learn the calculations of his indicator but we can learn the value of his indicator by its characteristics.”, kinda had me thinking the calculations were lost for part of it. So, kinda had my thinking off, if that is the formula for it. :smiley:

I laid down last night eager to apply all I’d learned from this thread last week. FXCM opens live retail trading at 5:15pm EST(-5:00 GMT) time. I usually arise for work around 4:30pm. Well, I wake up to the sound of my neighbor’s chainsaw at 1:00am. Fun. I decide to look over my charts a bit to the soothing sounds of a chainsaw. Well, at 2:00pm I notice chart movement. Someone is trading. I watch the pair I was charting make a 160 move upwards. Well, having Mr. Carter’s chart template in place after a nice walk up the Bollinger line I spot the coming downturn. I enter a sell which goes through without issue. So, I’m thinking that FXCM has opened early. Before leaving for work, I close out for a 103 pip gain. So, I’m pleased, very pleased. Still puzzled, I inquire with FXCM via live chat after the retail open what was going on. I was told the demo I was using somehow was allowed to trade with the weekend action. (I liken me and my laptop trading with ten of the top banks in the world to a Chihuahua somehow being allowed to run with a pack of Dire Wolves for a moment.) So, I inquired again just who was trading, told it was a great question: they said 10 of the top banks in the world. So, I came back again to find out just who they were. This information they would not release due to a non disclosure argeement. Understood. Nor would they release the names of the 10 banks “competing to provide FXCM with tight spreads”. Understood. Now I’m not claiming anything evil is going on, but it’s a good lesson for anyone new to forex that leaves trades open over the weekend with FXCM or any broker for that matter.

That was RCarter making some big moves:D

I don’t ever leave a trade open over the weekend.

yeah that was just R.C trading his personal account… :smiley:

Somewhere here on Babypips there is a post by Clint I think, showing who the biggest interbanks are.

I got in early for a change and doing well on the long trade :slight_smile:

:smiley: hahahaha :smiley: yeah, I hope he has an interesting comment to add to this, and if someone were to leave one open they need to talk to their broker to get an idea about what’s going on on the weekends. A sharp 160 pip move either way, just hours before the Sunday open, and they wont disclose their names? I’m not affected, other than being mad I can’t take part in weekend trading, but to others, that do leave trades open, this is a bit shady. Honestly, sounds like a bit of stop clearing I recall reading about in Master the Markets. Hopefully Mr. Carter will sort this out for us. :slight_smile:

I just wonder though, why the secrecy? I’m not disturbed, just curious…and I closed out the trade before I left for work, before the retail open at 5:15 est. I took a short after seeing an upward movement on the 4 Hour having trouble breaking the center Bollinger line(update: already dropping steadily, moved my stop to break even and up well over 110+ pips, exepecting a sharp upward movement during the Power Hour now). I’m hoping for a sharp drop during the Euro/London/Tokyo overlap. Known as the Power Hour. I’m trading at work on my demo, so, I take chances I normally wouldn’t. Very distracted. :slight_smile:

Meant to ask you for this whether the order was set at the Daily 20:2 before price moved past it or if you waited for price to move past it and then set the order to catch it when it came back. Obviously, 1 has a draw down.
I just followed the 1hr MA crossover to enter so worked out the same.

I hesitate to suggest changing your charts again but you might like to try the following. Overall PA direction is currently down. In fact on the daily its been heading south for quite a while (5:1 boll).

The 20:x boll is good for overbought sold and is still valid but the 5:1 and 10:1 will give a clearer indication of likely movement within the 20:2. Nothing new here just thought it worth bringing up as I read some posts thinking PA was breaking up (long). :slight_smile:

Attached chart. Might need to expand to 500%. The four charts to the left. Right hand chart is main monitor for flipping through the various TF charts for a better view only (but has a slightly different set up).

SM yes I put an advance entry order in late the night (early AM) before on the daily 20:2 lower boll band. Figured that was a reasonable risk until I could be in front of the monitors the next morning.

Slightly strange one coming up on the 1hr but the 4hr 20:2 BB is actually below the Daily 20:2 BB. It’s in a big downtrend at the moment anyway so would need a clear bounce.
Likely to be some scalpable 1hr trades to the 1hr centre bollinger.

I agree but dont yet like the angle on the 1h TF chart so opted for a hedge on my longer short. I’ll wait until the Asian or maybe even tomorrows London open before lifting either way.

See attached main chart… theres some pretty convincing support.:slight_smile:

What’s the SFK oscilator? Looks like you are right about support. It’s turned up some here this afternoon, maybe continue into the Asian ?

Hi Mike

Nothing fancy. SFK is just the fast Stochastic. SSD is the slow stochastic. I use the SFK on the longer TF charts and the SSD on the shorter TF charts for secondary confirmation of the various bolls.

I’m thinking 1.6475 area before it stalls, might make 1.6500 I suppose? But then again the 1h center boll is still at 5 o’clock on my chart… thats why I’m hedging it as a counter trade on my longer short. :wink:

Looks like 1.6460 was the high point. Have lifted my long hedge.

I had ended my short earlier but have been out and about for a wile so didn’t catch any of that up drift, Can’t hedge yet. But I’ve gotten back in short, I see some downside still. We’ll see.

RC,
Having gone through the chats you posted,i am just wondering where and how do you start to analyse your S/R on longer TF?
John.

Is this system available in a simplified pdf?