Bollinger band trading with MAs

I have been begging and pleading to sit in on one of your sessions just to watch you trade this way. Perhaps now that I have quit my job (and will be on for Tokyo all the time) you will take me up on it. :slight_smile:

Please, please, pleaseā€¦ [I]Iā€™ll be your best friend![/I] :smiley:

Youā€™re a brave fella!

I see it went down to the 85 mark, but that wouldnā€™t be enough for the ask to hit it. Hope you got out!

Likely to go up for a while nowā€¦

Of course opinionsā€¦

Grain of saltā€¦

yada yada yada

:smiley:

Merchantprince,

I canā€™t see why you keep losing based on this chart except you seem to get out very quickly on your trades. 21 hours on the Daily is not a lot of time for the trade to develop. I hope youā€™re on a demo. Iā€™m donā€™t know a lot about the method youā€™re using but it seems to me youā€™re trying to scalp the market which would be better suited to a lower time frame. The Bollinger Bands are showing you direction why not follow it? Just my observation.

FX1

the problem with bbands is that they lag, donā€™t u guys see this as a problem?

witsnpips,

Tell me one indicator that doesnā€™t.

FX1

many.

trend lines, fibonacci, pitchfork, channels, pivot points, price action, candlestick patterns, look at things like double/triple top/bottom, head and shoulders, gartley and butterly, etcā€¦

thereā€™s loads mate, you just need to start using a couple of themā€¦

Lol, ya that one was a loss. Iā€™m just demoing the system :p, trying to find itā€™s flaws and go from there. Obviously I think I should be more selective on which trades Iā€™m taking lol

Yes, but they canā€™t just be used by themselves.

ā€¦in other news
So, looks like that AU counter trend didnā€™t work out, was up by 0.8%, now -1%.
EURCHF long is up by about 0.3%
EURJPY closed for 2.5% earlier in week.
Not the best week ever but ok.

E/J entered off the weekly last night now at 180+. Just entered a long off the weekly on E/A at 1.443.

You entering mainly off the weekly now rather than daily? I see E/A looks good on both time frames.

I think he has the traderā€™s prerogative to occasionally enter counter trend and different timeframes despite the predominance being with trend :wink:
After all, weā€™d all still be scalping GBPJPY if some traders had their way :slight_smile:

[B]1st question:[/B]
How do you feel about waiting for it to hit the LWMA - you say it often doesnā€™t reach it and Iā€™d agree with that but over 20 pairs, it would catch the extremes and perhaps give extra pips?

Canā€™t say itā€™s done much for me this week but thatā€™s fine - I donā€™t want to monitor it too much as itā€™s not the only way I trade so once a day is fine :slight_smile:

[B]2nd question:[/B]
Trend is long, you wait for price to reach the lows areas of the 2LWMA and specifically the 2:1 boll applied to the lows but you take a long off the high band on the LOWER boll tunnel (hope that was clear :)) - any reason why you donā€™t wait for the middle boll to be hit? I know youā€™re going to say:

• itā€™s less likely that it will be hit
  • the middle boll is almost the same as the LWMA
    but all these entires have a pretty siginifcant amount of pips difference.
    For example:
    GU long
    upper band of lower boll was at 1.5123
    lower LWMA at 1.5064

[B]3rd question:[/B]
Also, as itā€™s a 2:1 boll (2 period average), doesnā€™t the averaging always attach it directly to the current candleā€™s low/high? Kind of the same thing TalonD mentioned recentlyā€¦

Iā€™ve attached an exampleā€¦
This candle just opened and already the 2:1 is attached the high.
Purple = 2:1 boll applied to highs
Orange = 2 LWMA applied to high
Orange = 2 LWMA applied to lows
Purple = 2:1 boll applied to lows

3rd question:
Also, as itā€™s a 2:1 boll (2 period average), doesnā€™t the averaging always attach it directly to the current candleā€™s low/high? Kind of the same thing TalonD mentioned recentlyā€¦

sorry about this pic, the blues bolls are dark and hard to see. Nevermind, I just changed it to light blue, hopefully it is more visible now. Also please excuse my use of the words candles and bars interchangeably.

I can try to answer that. Center boll is a 2 period simpleMA so it doesnā€™t necessarily coincide with current candle high or low, but a 1 period SMA would. Here is a pic of my gbp/usd daily with the 2:1 bolls, looks a little strange because my candles are all the same color. but you get the picture.
You can see that the last candle ends are touching the (upper boll lower 1dev line) and the bottom is touching the (lower boll upper 1dev line) parenthesis hopefully make the wording less confusing :smiley:

note that these are price bars not HA bars. Thatā€™s a metatrader limitation.

note also that some bars extend through both bols or only touch the inner 1dev lines, others, the majority seems like will have one end on a 1 deviation line with the other end extending through the other boll. Is that significant? I donā€™t know. But I thought it was interesting.

Yes, but that candle has already formed.
Try it out on a 5min chart and just pretend itā€™s a higher timeframe.
Imagine price is at the lower portion of the LWMA tunnel - youā€™ll see that on the open of the next candle, the 2:1 boll will immediately snap to the candle high/low.

I need to get my thougts together before posting, I was editing while you were responding. Yep thatā€™s one question I have. When a new candle opens the tunnel is narrow. Do you wait for it to widen and then wait for price to be at one extreme or the other to place a trade?

I was just watching the 5m, on new candle open both inner 1 deviation lines snap to the open price, not the center 2ma. then things start to widen out from there.

Thatā€™s because at open, the high and the low are the sameā€¦essentially the open price.
For the tunnel to widen you have to let price move substantially so I donā€™t really understand how a trade can be taken off price touching the 2:1 boll as price would have to move up, retrace, and then move up again to the previous high before you could say price has ā€œtouchedā€ the 2:1 boll even though it was actually touching the 2:1 boll all along during the widening of the tunnel (if that makes sense).

yeah for this to work, price will have to bounce back and forth across the tunnel more than once.
Watching it on the 5M without making any trades is worth doing, just to see how the price and bolls move in relation to each other.

San E/A is with trend on my platformā€¦ positive HA candle and off the lower 2:1 HA (upper band).

You guys are touching on an issue I mentioned some time back about what time of day to consider a Daily candle ā€œformedā€; that is, when to consider the LWMAs/2:1 bolls to be in a reasonably stable position to set entry orders.

As Talon mentions, when the current daily candle closes and the new one opens there is obviously a compression of the MAs. Ought we just place pending orders only a few hours before the current daily candle closes (or at least 7-8 hours after the new one opens)?