Bollinger band trading with MAs

CAS That 63 SMA is working great on GU have you tried it on any other pairs?

I have added a 250 SMA on my 1H chart it seems to work the same.

[B]jcgibson[/B]

I have used 63SMA with EUR/USD. I’m just about ready to use it with USD/CAD.

It works well with EUR/USD. :slight_smile:

Cas

I�m experimenting with playing the long game. LOL Back at post #791 Mr Carter explained why he suggested the 4h BB bands, take a look.

Also, right now there isn�t much support under GBP, if it heads south in the next few days it could be a nice move, but… if it heads north I�ll watch the PA and MA maybe jump to the other side of the street. But…you�re right about leaving pips on the table. OUCH! been second guessing myself all day!!!

thanks for looking out for me, I appreciate it!

[B]d-pip[/B]

Looks like I have to read this thread again. :smiley:

I can see now why you entered “late”. “Late” in this case is subjective.

Thx for pointing out that particuliar post to me.

What month did it start dropping back down?
Also, remember the drop in Sept/Oct 2008, a trader could have made a lot during that period just getting lucky.

RC was trying to find an interesting name :slight_smile:

3 charts: 1hr, 15min, 5min.
These are trades based on the 5min charts though in principle it would work for the others.
If 1hr and 15min are in upper bollinger halves, wait for the 5 min PA to be in the lower and when it crosses over, buy.
If 1hr and 15min are in lower bollinger halves, wait for the 5 min PA to be in the upper and when it crosses over, sell.
ie going with the trend you can add to positions, look for an exit on the outer band.

Very similar to just taking bounces with the trend.

On which timeframe?
Got any oil trades going on :wink: ?

Identical setup as with EU & GU…5m,15m,1h,4h.

Today is Oil news day. :wink:

What month did it start dropping back down?
Also, remember the drop in Sept/Oct 2008, a trader could have made a lot during that period just getting lucky.

S.M.
funny thing about that. first I made the EA the normal way. fast MA crossing up through Slow MA is a buy, crossing down is a sell, it quickly blew the account. so I reversed the logic, sell when fast crosses up and buy when it crosses going down thats when it made money lol

I’ll go back to it later and see what month.

Do you have a site that announces when the releases are due?
I’m not doing any GU trades until after the BoE interest rate decision at present.

Did it close existing trades when the price crossed over?

[B]San Miguel[/B]

14:30 GMT Crude Oil Inventories :wink:

I use this site for everything in regards to Oil 'N Gold.

Oil N’ Gold - News, Analysis, Forecasts on WTI Crude Oil, Natural Gas, Gold, Silver - Oil N’ Gold - Resources for Serious Traders

But the 63SMA must work better on 1 TF? 1hr for example…

It works as well on a 4h as on 1h, 15m & 5m.

I can’t see any difference because 63SMA just transfers middle BB in between different TF’s.

Don’t know about CADUSD but. I have to wait and see how the 63SMA behaves there.

[B]SanMiguel[/B]

I know what you mean… struggling to get 10-12 pip trades today! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m off to check out [B]Cas[/B]'s site sounds interesting. :slight_smile:

Cas

I got bored with my 4h boll Hail Mary Pass and closed at 1.5874 for 70 pips, better than a stick in the eye. Quick oil inventories story, Back in June 2005 I opened my first stock account. My first two positions were PTEN an oil/gas driller, & FTO an independent refiner. At the time I had never of heard oil inventories reports. My first wednesday morning I thought the world had come to an end! And then again the next day with thurs nat gas numbers. From mid 2005 to mid 2006 I traded oil service, driller and independent refiner stocks. I found the oil/gas biz very interesting… it can be a fun game and lots of different ways to play it. but felt guilty making $$$ post Katrina.

PS it was a small stock account and i did it on the side, don�t want to make it sound like I was making a living doing it.

Well, I took a 5min bounce short for 20pips…there was a good one around 11GMT as well.
Probably done for the day things are so slow.

[B]d-pip[/B]

Hmm… like your last comment… obviously a decent person. But am bound to say were in the last bastion of pure capitalism here. :slight_smile: Not a religious man myself but I am a humanist. I find it good for the ‘soul’ to put something back in the way of favourite charities.

Sorry being off topic but thought your last comment worthy of reply. :slight_smile:

Well somehow I’ve managed to scrape together 50 pips today, so going to get out. Off to something far more entertaining… yep, a Rugby match. :smiley:

Good luck and good trading to all. :slight_smile:

S.M.

it does close or suposed to on every cross, I used an ea builder website to generate the code. it doesn’t always make a trade where I think it should. I figured when price is ranging horizontal that’s when you loose pips following a normal strat of buying when the short ma crosses up through the long ma and vice versa. so I thought why not reverse that and sell when it crosses up and buy when it crosses down. it seems to work, but then you loose pips on the long trending moves where you would normally be making pips… I think.
I just had a 2ma crossing a 20ma, no particular reason for those values. except I wanted to try and catch the cross quick before price moves too far away from the 20. I tried a 1period ma but got some kind of compile error.

I’ll post it here as an atachment in case you want to experiment with it.
cant right now though, I’m at work. will put it here later when I get home.

[B]WTI Crude Oil Boll Bounce [/B]

using the system as laid out in this thread

on 5m Chart around 14:30 GMT Crude Oil Inventories every Wednesday…

I placed an Limit Entry Order @upper 20 BB @71.40 @14.25 GMT because the previous candle bounced off 63 SMA and strong S&R.

Also placed TP @lower 20 BB @70.72.

As you can see in chart…last candle…news hit the wire…@14:30 GMT…PA went in [B]one long candle[/B] from upper 20BB and shot straight thru lower BB for a profit of 68 pips.

It even went past lower 20BB by +30 pips. Because PA is so volatile I place my Limit Entry Orders and TP 2 pips inside the outer 20BB’s. I leave pips on the table but I have seen retracements by 50% or more in a blink of an eye…so setting TP inside 2 pips of outer 20BBs…in this case lower 20BB…has proven a good strategy.

No wonder I was hesitant the other day. Your chart looks so calm compared to this one and the bollinger lines seem different. Hmm.