Breakouts on chart patterns

breakouts , i cant seem to get in the trend on time , any rules on identifying a solid breakout?

I don’t think you will find a system to do that. Most “Breakouts” turn into “Fakeys” and cost you money. There are those here @tommor is one - who do “Jump on the train” here, but I think they do it with tiny positions and pyramid in. Whether he will be prepared to disclose his method is of course entirely up to him :slight_smile:

When I have tried “Trend trading” I have invariably been stopped out by a “Retracement” and on the Dow in 2003, I held through the “Retracement” - for a loss of 600 pips at £3 a pip before I “Capitulated”…

"Learning Experience ! " :laughing:

This is really massive!

Yup - I was in short 2 hours before the 2003 turning point ! and ÂŁ was approx 2 dollars in those days. :slight_smile:

packed it in for a while. I took her and went off to have a rethink - 3 weeks AI in Dom - Rep (Got a last minute deal at a great price )

Great holiday and a significant change in attitude. That was the very last time I paid any attention to “Consensus” of other traders opinions !

600 pips lord thats a lot

Yes - it came from the frustration of being stopped out every time I tried to get in on the trend - I probably lost as much if not more by doing that ! - I decided to not use a stop-loss and “HODL !”

• But of course loss is only relative - I had a mate who was betting ÂŁ20 a point at that time. That’s how I got into it - bumped into him one day and he said "I’m ÂŁ40,000 up ! "

(There were no such things as “Demo” or “Micro accounts” back then )

for brakeout trading you need a lot of:

experience
patience
nerves

its not a daytraders approach.

and then you need as well:

experience
patience
nerves

and unfortunately this isnt all. on top of that you still need

experience
patience
nerves

Got it! I guess you were not using any SL level for that trade, right ?

No, in fact, all my positions are identical in size, which is the maximum % of account capital that I am prepared to risk. A lot of people use the 2% rule so if I was using 2% as the max risk, the first with-trend trade is 2% and I immediately set an identical entry order of another 2%: if that is triggered I set an identical 2% entry order and so on.

The only trades I initiate are trend-following and every one of these is a potential major winner (I recently increased a Dow long to 7 parallel positions, each of identical size). On the other hand, no trade or series of trades, whether its 2, 5 or 7 or whatever, can ever lose more than the initial ÂŁ risk from account capital.

I am sure long-term I will not get into many trades that can be added to another 6 times, but the small fraction that do will do great things for my profit levels.

1 Like

So if I’m reading that aright, the profit on position 1 funds all the other entries and registers 12% atm, position 2 10%, pos3 - 8%, 6%, 4%, 2% and if the trend breaks tomorrow, you will lose 7 x 2% = 14% - leaving a nett profit of 28% of account value ? (Hypothetically speaking of course, as you didn’t disclose your actual risk tolerance, but that is fine ) :sunglasses:

Yes, pretty much. The distance in points/pips or capital from entry to stop is the same as the distance from entry to add new position. I move the stop up on all open positions the same distance below the latest position to open. If say 7 positions are open, they will all be closed simultaneously when price pulls back that same distance from the last new trade’s entry price. At that point the last trade is -2% (or X% or Y pips or Z points), the next to last trade is break-even and all older trades are winners.