Buying my first book. Need some advice

Have any specific reason to buy this book?

Thank you for pointing out that John Murphy’s book is freely availble @MrDE :sunglasses:

_ do not have this one - but I do have his “Intermarket analysis” and am a great believer in using his website - “Stockcharts” which is an invaluable source of quality information.

@Quantonium - There is massee of information out there - much of it is purely there to extract money from those eager to learn. When you look up a book on “Amazon” etc read the reviews - starting with the “1 star” and work your way up. Generally those who give less than “5 stars” are real reviews and nt just “Mates”

I looked at Ms Coulling’s book “Volume price analysis” recently and this was one of the “1 star” revews

"… the author cannot trade, that much is evident from the way she writes and all her other “writings” over the internet, along with her silly websites that seek to “help women to learn to trade”!!!

In fact she has so many different websites it’s almost laughable to be honest. She got her “credibility” this way and is now trying to sell even more rubbish that she spouts along with these other systems that she has been made either a reseller of or is sponsored by since she got her audience from her websites and social media profiles. Believe me if she was really making that kind of money that she claims she does there would be no way she would be doing that things that she is doing now . . . Nowhere in any of her posts on social media has she ever laid any real money down for a position at all, it’s all vague commentary and other nonsense which is can be exonerated from any repsonsibility if they don’t turn out as she expected. Oldest trick in the book unfortunately.

So knowing that this person cannot trade, does not trade, and her income comes from other sources, does anyone really want to learn from such a shyster? Or a charlatan to be more precise? If the public really knew what it takes to become a proper trader 99.999% of them would give it a miss, like this person obviously has…"

It seems that you will not gain much from engaging with this woman.

thanks for that! I’m probably more keen on just reading Murphy’s book now anyway… just haven’t decided if I’m gonna order it as a physical copy or read it on the screen yet…

Ok - I downloaded it from @MrDE s link and it came up fine - well what I actually did was to “open with Acrobat” then did a “Save as” - but the first few charts etc are all good.

youre welcome anytime. yes i saw when @westbam posted you a link to intermarket analysis, you didnt like the advice but took it. im glad you took his/her advice and did read the book.

if you did the school here then technical analysis of the financial markets is a must read. you will see very quick how many mistakes had been made with the school section here and how much in depth knowledge is actually missing. actually i wont call it mistakes, just the focus was different and i for myself dont think its good the way they stripped off the knowledge which they stripped off.

anyways, when you move on to futures trading (which you will when becoming profitable) then read murphys technical analysis of the futures markets. its the original work before TA of the financial markets and a good go at futures and real commodites trading.

I bought the book way back - early 2000’s. and was spread betting Dow futures then too,. Thanks for the advice though. :sunglasses:

1 Like

took you 17 years to find his other great book? :slight_smile:

credit where credit is due @westbam

Apparently I do already have it ! - lol

2 Likes

Falstaff
Ok - I downloaded it from @MrDE s link and it came up fine - well what I actually did was to “open with Acrobat” then did a “Save as” - but the first few charts etc are all good.

Yeah, the first pages are ok, but once you go to page 39 or something, where there are some different styles of charts, things get strange!

Some new traders lost motivation when reading Fx books , I suggest for them video courses that available in online especially YouTube.

Yes - so they do

Well there are not that many Figs affected like that - so you just need to make a decision - either read it as it is and Google charts of the pictures missing like “Breakaway gap” - or just buy the real thing…

What a lovely thought - people without the attention span to read a “whole book” - trying to learn this, what Wyckoff called "The greatest game in the world " !

Perhaps they should just play with their Lego sets, until they grow up :laughing:

1 Like

To his defense, youtube is underrated… Still, I agree… You pretty much need to read books at some point!

I’m probably just going to buy the physical copy of it… More inspiring to have it on my table. I get more invested in things if I have it physically. Besides, reading on the computer is a pain.

Too bad it’s quite expensive though… Will be around 50-60 gbp to get it…

If you look on Amazon uk you can get a second hand one for £20-30.

Or if you want to pm me I’ll sell you mine around that price.

Just keep learning and learning because this is the only way to succeed in Forex.
Regards

I agree - I use You-tube all the time - a video of someone changing an engine sensor in my type of car is very useful.

Watching some “trader” going through a load of blurb and trying to get you onto his / her website “To learn the real secrets” somewhat less so - especially when many of them are just showing “stuff” they don’t understand and which is often hijacked from others.

The first type are just either showing off, or getting paid by advertisers a tiny amount of money - that is fine. The latter usually want some “Monthly payment” to access their “secrets” - just playing to the very natural human instincts to “Follow a leader” and to “Have someone to blame” because they can’t take responsibility for their own actions.

You may hear the proverb that by buying book you won’t be bankrupted. So I will say that each book is unique and a trader can actually gain some unique sorts of ideas from each book since pro traders are sharing their own views about forex market in their own way. Go through all the necessary books, and Babypips" s reviews also.

U works very hard!
I have this book.

Did you not buy this one then ?

https://forums.babypips.com/t/how-about-jim-brown-and-his-books/136085/2

I read some of the reviews on that book you show here and I think there are better onesif you want to be a trend follower to be honest. One reviewer wrote ;

"…I wasted time and money on both of Covell’s books. He doesn’t give up the good stuff in either, you have to buy his Trend Following course for that.You will not “learn to make millions in Up or Down Markets”. I don’t understand the mass of positive reviews for this book. It tells the story about Richard Dennis and the Turtles but not their methods, that will cost you $1,200.I made a mistake buying this book, don’t you repeat it.
Just started Curtis Faith’s book from which I am already getting more facts…"

Certainly, the title is at least misleading, The “Turtles” were taught to trade a set of strict rules and did not “Become millionaires over night” - The thought of losing 9 out of every 10 trades, does not set well with my psychology, but I know there are some here who manage to make it work on a modest scale - but if it works for you that’s good. :slight_smile:

I readed part of Jim Brown’s book .not very bad,not very good.

And…
Richard is a great trader.I dont think so any words about wasting time on his story.
This book is great.U know,someone can achieve anything,so another can do it too.It s great!
Two books are good showing the great story and hard realities.