Calculating profit

Can someone help me how do you get to this profit number?

I made a trade and bought audusd I entered at 0.77831 and exit at 0.77933 my profit was 0.87€. how do you get to this profit number mathematically? I have 1:400 leverage account.

Leverage has nothing to do with your return. The return is dependent on the size of holding you bought, and the 10.2 pips you made. Divide your return by the pips and you should come to teh price per pip you earned.

Hope that helps, but you should really know the price per pip you’re gambling BEFORE you go in ! :slight_smile:

[Edit -transaction costs are also relevant. ]

I still don’t know how to calculate the profit. I made 10.2 pips how do I get now to 0.87€ earned?
What good is the leverage for if not for better profits?

Anyone have an answer?

[quote=“Dego, post:3, topic:119086, full:true”]

I still don’t know how to calculate the profit. I made 10.2 pips how do I get now to 0.87€ earned?[/quote]

In order to explain this calculation, we need 2 pieces of information which you have not provided: (1) your position size, and (2) the price of EUR/USD at the time you entered your trade.

I’m going to guess at that information, in order to give you an answer.

I’m guessing that your position size was one micro-lot (1,000 units),
and I’m guessing that EUR/USD was about 1.1724 at the time of your entry.

Using these numbers, the calculation looks like this:

In a one-micro-lot AUD/USD trade, 10.2 pips = $0.10 per pip x 10.2 pips = $1.02

But, your account is in EUR, not USD.

So, we have to convert $1.02 to euro using the EUR/USD price of 1.1724 (which I guessed at).

$1.02 ÷ 1.1724 = €0.87

[quote=“Dego, post:3, topic:119086, full:true”]
What good is the leverage for if not for better profits?[/quote]

400:1 is maximum allowable leverage. It’s the most leverage you can use in your account.

I’m guessing that you didn’t use anywhere near that amount of leverage.

[U]Example[/U]:

Your trade was one micro-lot of AUD/USD in a euro-denominated account.

Let’s say that EUR/AUD was 1.5050 at the time you entered your trade.

Then the notional value of your trade (in euro) was 1,000 AUD ÷ 1.5050 = €664.45

If your account balance was €50, then the actual leverage used was €664.45 ÷ €50 = 13.29:1

If your account balance was more that €50, then you used even less than that amount of leverage.

If you were to use all of the 400:1 maximum allowable leverage offered by your broker,
then the notional value of your trade would have been €50 x 400 = €20,000 – not €664.45