Can I trade without leverage?

Hi guys.

I understand that we all want to help the OP and share knowledge based on our own experiences. After all, that’s what the community is all about. However, we believe that we could do so in a calm and collected manner. There’s no need for name-calling, no need for insults, and definitely no need for ultimatums.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to argue for your position. But arguing in this manner simply obstructs the learning opportunity for the OP. I hope we keep that in mind.

I’m closing this thread for now, just to give you guys some time to collect your thoughts.

Gents, you’ve taken the “discussion” into PM territory, if even that is warranted. Please don’t post any more in this topic, as if you continue on the current course, your messages will get deleted. Cleanup is on the way.

1 Like

This is true. I tried to set my account to 1:1 leverage but it wasn’t possible. Instead I trade lotsizes within my available balance.

I have not watched the movie HACKERS but I will now! While I am losing ~1000USD on a LTC position and praying for the bulls to save me.

Hi @ropunzel, I found this thread while googling “no leverage trading”. I didn’t find the answer in this thread and I don’t think I would add to this particular conversation so I wrote a new one, could you have a look at it with the benefit of your experience on Barclays Capital?

It’s the only thread I created here, I believe you should be able to find it via my username (I’m new here so I can’t post links). The title is “Kraken margin pool/no leverage option”.

Many thanks in advance

In fact it is better to trade without leverage until you become an experienced trader.

Every broker will allow you to trade without leverage. Leverage is just an option not a compulsion. But just so you know, if you trade solely using your own capital, you hold the bigger risk of losing it all, so think about it.

Of course you can and you must. Don’t get into the habit of using leverage in the beginning just because you might be having less capital. Most beginners think that leverage is like the kind of loan that can help them achieve their dreams and in the process, lose what they even had in the first place. I used 500x leverage with ic markets right at the start of my trading journey and lost the few dollars I had. Leverage is so tempting that I kept repeating the same mistake over and over. Blew so many accounts, now again I am using a broker fxview which gives 500x leverage but I don’t use it. Only when I become a very confident trader will I reframe my strategy which will include use of leverage.