Channel Trading: Viking1961 500 step system

until the AAA rating drop, there was only 2 in 1 year in his own history, and that was due to the rate changing right at the moment where he was trying to close old trades just close to 0 to open new trades with a bigger lot size instead :wink:

With primers automatically handling borders, and account balance deciding lot size, the theoretical result should look like the included Excel sheet (ignoring swap and primer profits beyond balancing). Do we agreed on that?

Re
D

The investment plan seems very likely to be right.
The EA wont be quite as fast as a manuel system, because it has to stick to the rules and can’t take advantage of fundamentals.
But in first eye cast it looks allright

I am looking forward to Vikings 750 step overview. It seems to me that once you reach step 500 that is where the real fun begin, as from there the growth will really be quite substantial due to the sheer volume one is trading.

Another thing I thought of:

As of now we are trading with a 50 pip grid. It would be interesting to back-test/adjust the EA for 30, 40 and maybe 75 pip TPs, to find the optimal balance between equity required to run a channel (must be larger for 30 pips) vs. maximizing growth. It is my impression from the last couple of days testing a EUR/USD channel that a lot more trades would have reached TP if I had traded 30-pip movements instead, so although a 30-pip TP might require 2x as many trades to get you 1 step forward, I am thinking that the increased number will make up for it. But that would of course need to be backtested.

The 50 pip only catches major movements in the pair, creating some more quiet weeks, where a 30-pip TP would be able to catch most of that range trading.

I am still having difficulties accessing my MT4 data, so I haven’t been able to do any experiments myself yet.

The system will work just fine with a lower TP level, but you would need more money in the initial investment to cover the added number of trades. I do not know how to calculate that sum. Maybe WebZone can tell us?

Re
D

Guys,

I have been programming a lot and i am in the troubleshooting stage. But could not finish it by today.
I will need a few more hours to finish it. Shall try to finish it asap.

Hopefully tomorrow after work.

Cheers!

I think we all appriciate your efforts. Anything I can do to help?

Re
D

sounds great! :slight_smile:

If any body want to use 25 pips as TP.
Then You will need the double amount of start capital.
And each trade should only be the half amount of percent.
But then it will work exactly as the original system just with lower TP and maybe more profit made.
But as the basis system already need $2000 to begin with. Then we haven’t advice people to use lower TP. But if You have the money to spare. Then just go ahead.
The EA doesn’t care. The basics is the same. And the TP an percent’s can be set in the settings.

Guys,

I have been working on the primer strategy but faced a bit of problems. I have not yet been able to successfully implement the logic of starting to place primers upon equity drop of 0.06% drop per pip etc. I am still working on it.

What I did today was implement the primer strategy based on my Channeltop/channelbottom logic. But the rules of the primers is exactly as Kent described in his post on page 11.
Primers will be activated below or above channelbottom/channeltop. For testing purposes pls use a PrimerPercent for the time being. As soon as I am able to code the actual strategy using the equity drop I will attach here.

Most of the parameters I believe you already know. If any doubts just feel free to ask.

I am currently testing it. I just tested it in the extreme drop of EURUSD from Nov 2009 to May 2010 and attached is the chart.

Test in various conditions and keep posting your results/concerns. Until then I shall work on trying to code it the actual Greenland way.

Cheers!!
Greenland Strategy Rev 1-2.zip (2.9 KB)

REV 1-2 EURUSD NOV2009 TO JUN2010 using 0.2 primerpercent as part of account balance.pdf (970 KB)

I was working on that awhile ago and my take on it was to use OrderLots() as you loop through open orders and add the lot sizes to two variables, “shortLots” and “longLots” by incrementation. Once the loop is done you multiply both with 100.000 to get units in new variables “longs” and “shorts”. Then test the direction of trend (last closed order vs. current rate). If falling you would calculate (((shorts - longs)/10.000)/AccountBalance())*100). If that => -0.06, you need primers, and you already have the direction for them. (For rising use longs - shorts).

Does that help?

Re
D

I did a similar thing. Calculated no of shorts and no. of longs. My thinking is that when equity drops below 0.06% per pip obviously price is going one sided, hence there will either be one long and many shorts or one short and many longs.
Thus primer lots will be (No. of longs - no. of short)/3 as Kent suggested (if price is going down).

And if No.of buy is more than no. of sells then we have to place short primers or vice versa when sells are more than buys.

But i still have to finish implementing the logic of stopping primers etc…
Still working on it. Hopefully in a few days time.

I’m having some trouble with invalid lots and OrderSend error 4051, I think it’s the percent variables.
extern double Percent = 0.1;
extern double PrimerPercent = 0.5;
Does this mean 1% and 5% or 0.1% and 5% of balance?

Re
D

I’m not sure you can count on there being only 1 order going with the trade. Wouldn’t it be likely that older orders can exist in a different range once the channel has run for awhile?

Re
D

If you are testing with a balance of 2000$ on a 1:100 leverage then you should put 1% and 3% and try. Too much of primers can be a drawdown too.
I also think backtest is not very perfect. There are many primers which are placed 10 pip apart although when the PrimerStep is 30 pips.

Also in real conditions we can keep changing the channeltop and bottom values to adjust to current market conditions.

Yes it is possible.

this looks weird… from 0.01 to 0.11 in lot size in 26 days

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93453374/rev1-2/Strategy%20Tester_%20Greenland%20Strategy%20Rev%201-2.pdf

When compiling, I get an error.

Function “DeleteFarAwayPendingOrders” is not referenced and will be removed from exp-file
Am I the only one?

I’m getting strange results. Using 2.000$ on x100, the 4th order is set as 0.03. Then it fluctuates between 0.04 and 0.01, followed by a barrage of OrderModify error 1. There might be something wrong with the Tick Data Suite software I installed. I’ll remove it and try with just regular MT4 tests.

Re
D