Channel Trading: Viking1961 500 step system

ZeppDK: I went through your trades at MyFXBook and I have a couple of questions, if you don’t mind. I see you’re using 30 pips on a live account, gutsy move, but I like it.

In March there’s a lot of variation, did you run all manual back then?
By June, 0.04 orders start showing up. Are those primers or regulars?
If primers, did you use the balance calculations or actual drawdown?

Re
D

shhhh, “this is not the droids you’r looking for” :smiley:

yes, your right, in the beginning my account was run manualy, testing the exit strategy a Little…
the 0.04 trades you should ignore… that is just me making some extra pips, by having 1 trade of the next lot size extra open in each direction from the center out, with TP as the normal trades (ofcourse im not opening extra on retractions, dont want more than 2 extra trades)…
but as this is just me collecting extra pips without taking a big risk, and not the main system you should not look at that :smiley:
by the way, im also starting primers at 45-50% as i want room to make errors :slight_smile:

and for the 30 pip, i startet my channel with 3000$ (i have 1620$ in deposit bonus not showing up in myfxbook),
and im collecting 33% more $ before each lot increase to even it out…

CC:
i had to modify the DD variable in the version of the EA that i run, to have it show the correct drawdown % due to the deposit bonusses i have got from my broker, as you get theese bonusses at many brokers it might be a good idea to add this change to the official EA

double AllAccount = (AccountCredit()+AccountBalance());
double DD = ((AccountFreeMargin()/AllAccount)*100);

i have made my stats easy to decifer, so that i can keep an eye on the important numbers while working
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5267610/comments.jpg

Just a quick hello to keep the thread going.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone experimented with negatively correlated currency-pairs / trading the greenland on multiple currencies simultaneously? Some of you might have seen that a new channel has just been opened on etoro; it trades 7 currencies at the same time. The idea being that if you get large drawdowns on some pairs, you will have equally gained quite some equity in correlated pairs, so that you overall will progress quicker and minimize your overall drawdown.

2. I have been demo-trading the greenland for some months, and I am currently at step 30 or something like that, which means that I need to begin doubling my size for the medium-price range (550 pips). Does anyone have any suggestions as how to calculate that range? Look at top/bottoms on the daily chart for the past 2-3 months in order to determine range? For the EUR/USD which I am trading now I am thinking something like 1.2800-1-3350 as the medium range?

I have yet to experience the need to use primers, and until I reach that point and manage it successfully I am still a bit reluctant to start trading this live. But my goal is to transition to a live multiple-currencies channel similar to greenlander88 with some 7500 USD starting capital.

I’ve got two demo accounts running the original hour-glass using the EA. When they get to primer stage I hope to find out more about the tactics by asking M specific questions about my situation and then generalizing from there. The EA discussed here is good, but until we actually get to the roots and the tactics it will never work, so I’m also participating in two threads about the new system, trying to get a hold of more specific information.

Below are the questions I’ve posed in an attempt to get a complete understanding of hour-glass:

Personally I find the following six questions to be the basis of any complete trading systems (though I’m still at the theoretical stage personally so I’m open to other suggestions):
  1. Markets - What to buy or sell and why?
  2. Position Sizing - How much to buy or sell and why?
  3. Entries - When to buy or sell and why?
  4. Stops - When to get out of a losing trade (symbol) and why?
  5. Exits - When to get out of a winning position and why?
  6. Tactics - How to buy or sell and why?

Markets
We should know what symbols are chosen and why. A list of symbols to use is a good start, but why only those, and why include some that are positively correlated like EUR/GBP? Since there will be “no primers” I assume any symbol going haywire will be replaced with another, but how do we decide “condition haywire”, and what do we look for in the alternative?

Position sizing
As far as I’ve gathered the new system will use the same positioning scheme as the original two-way hourglass, but I don’t know how that was calculated either. The trade risk gets all the way up to 7.41% of balance in the Excel sheet, allowing for only 13 trades to be opened. That sounds impossible.
Using different symbols, will there be some sort of weighting? A pip may be a pip is a pip, but its value is not necessarily the same or its frequency, volatility and true range.

Entries
Since entries (or placement steps in our case) will be flexible, I assume changing steps will basically be the equivalent of primers in the original system, a balancing tool. How is this calculated? We can’t use equity as that will depend on all symbols and trades in the account so I assume each symbol would be split into some sort of “go”, “warning” and “no go” rate areas with “warning” being the place to change placement distance according to some calculation (which should be published), while “no go” means it’s time to dump the symbol and replace it with another.

Stops
With fixed (or changeable) TP and no SL, stops in this case would be dumping a symbol, I guess. Would that mean leaving open orders to close on their own, but otherwise ignoring the symbol, or a more temporary variant where new orders are only placed in one direction, alternatively trades are picked up again once the symbol re-enters a previously defined top and bottom rate level? If an alternative symbol is chosen, what would be the specifications to look for? Correlation to exiting symbol, or maybe its current level of “rangingness”?

Exits
Well, this sounds easy. Exit at TP, rinse and repeat. Did I miss something?
I guess I should mention that from a coding perspective (and who doesn’t want to limit the job of trading to just watching out for potential problems and making decisions about the best way to solve them, not to mention getting all those extra trades when AUD/USD does it’s 60 pip yo-yo impression while you have the audacity to sleep?) it would be significantly easier to close existing trades (by setting TP to break-even) and adding new orders when placement steps change for a symbol than to extend existing trade’s TP. It would cost more spread, but can it work this way? I sure hope so.

Tactics
Michael is the only Forex teacher I’ve met so far who hasn’t tried to charge me 3K for a simplistic rip-off of Steve Nison with some random indicators on top, or a philosophy lecture based on Turtle trading that hasn’t worked since Reagan was president (or at least the dot com crash), and even then only if you had a million dollar account to play with, but (and I’m sorry to complain) we have to get more specific about the tactics than “it depends”. I was an IT advisor for 25 years so I’m pretty familiar with the phrase and why it’s used, but it doesn’t help anyone (except corporate lawyers). If there are too many scenarios to document, let’s group them together into a manageable set of “main situation types” and define approximate descriptions for what to look for and general ways to react. We should at the very least be able to ask Michael an intelligent question. You can do a lot of different tasks with a hammer, but it’s also possible for most people to see when a screw driver is more likely to fit the task, even if you’re not a trained carpenter. The system documentation should get all wannabe Greenlanders up to at least that level of understanding, in my humble opinion.

Re
D
As mentioned above, what we are currently missing to make either system work are the tactics.

Re
D

Sorry to bump this up but does system still works for this year? I mean, as anyone else tried this so far?