China has promised to protect the PH

I’ve been reading more about China and trying to find out the reasons why countries (especially ASEAN countries) seem to be afraid to go against China. :frowning: Well, I stumbled upon this article from a few months back. And it made me think: How will the enemy protect you from itself?

https://globalnation.inquirer.net/166651/duterte-china-promised-protect-ph

Apparently China is a good friend of the Philippines.

Not a bad friend to have, at all :slight_smile:

Unless perhaps you happen to live in Hong Kong !

Well… :frowning: :frowning: I’m not sure I’m happy with the kind of friendship we have. :frowning: It’s like they’re taking over our lands, our homes, our jobs, etc. :frowning: Friends would be great! But I just feel like we’re being used. :confused:

OMG. :frowning: Huhuhu. I’ve been reading about this too! :frowning: It’s heartbreaking to see what’s going on there. :frowning: We actually had to cancel our plans to visit HK next month cause there were people saying that the chaos won’t end anytime soon. :cry:

It is the kind of friend that gives you a finger nail and expects back a whole hand. Very much like the USA, but in Asia. Use at your own peril :slight_smile:

But sometimes, you actually do need those kind of friends, nothing like keeping a good relationship, just in case :slight_smile:

I didn’t know that -we don’t hear about it - do you have a link ?

I think you’re right to be worried, but I don’t thik there is much you as individuals can do about it.

Centuries ago, the French, the Belgians, the Dutch, the Brits, the SPanish - all went around the world grabbing land and exploitoing the resources (which included the people). In the last century, we in Britain gave back “Independence” to most of our “captives” and now they go their own ways.

We are in a new Era now. The Chinese are becoming very strong and very rich. Mao starved and killed many tens of millions (some say 100 million) of his own Chinese people duriing his own pursuit of the Communist Utopia and the Chinese now electronically monitor each of their proles, reward or punish them according to some “Rules” they have invented. - AND whch can of course easily be changed, by just typing a little code into a machine somewhere.

We are in evolutionary terms undergoing several “experiments” all at once.

The chinese centrally control everything. The Americans are heading towards the end of their “World power” it seems. Russia - is a bit ambivalent in that they seem to be operating as real capitalists in possibly a very bad version of it and the “EU” seems destined to do What ? I don’t know exactly but it doesn’t look good for the people stuck with living in it !

So I can’t offer you much hope really except to say that the citizens of USA and EU - are worried too about their own futures and that of their children. - Or at least they seriously should be, when they see all the Jesters dancing round the pole singing the chant of “Globalisation” !

We have a saying

" Keep your head down, Say nothing and Don’t buy a Programme "

That is about the only advice I can offer you tho’ sorry !

Destined to create more committees and sub-committees, create more rules and rules about the rules.

Talk about paralyzing red tape and higher taxes…

It is good for intra EU countries commerce, though and everything has become very “integrated” in the EU, it is very easy to travel within the EU, visit other countries, find your way around them, etc…So, it has a big practical side to it, actually

Dunno - Do we actually Have a thread on the EU ? - DO you fancy starting one ? - Where we could perhaps see if we can look at it from a “neutral” (ish) - point of view ?

I guess we don’t have one, and it would actually be interesting to have it.

But I am not starting it. Not really looking for incendiary political subjects: If you are looking for them this would be a great topic.

I once saw a very interesting documentary that claimed China and many Asian countries were booming, because they were not subjected to all those rules and red tape. The same doc view the EU as stagnating because of those same rules and red tape.

I can not recall the name of the documentary and can not seem to find it anywhere, but they certainly have a valid argument.

Well, that makes sense. :confused: I understand that it’s not uncommon for more advanced nations to really get their hands on smaller and less developed countries. :frowning: I’m just very sad about this. :frowning: But thank you so much for taking the time to discuss this issue. It already means so much to me. :blush:

I have a looot. :frowning: Huhu. But I guess I could just include a few here just to let you guys know what’s going on here. :frowning:

Thanks Falstaff! :slight_smile: I guess it’s how the world works. The strong conquer the weak. But I used to think we were waaay past this. :confused: I guess this conquering just took on a different form. China is really such a powerful country at the moment, and I dare say a lot of countries do their best to avoid any conflict with this country. :frowning:

I feel sorry for people from the other parts of the world too. :confused: And I don’t know much about international diplomatic relations and stuff like that, but I just hope we could take control of our own country again. :frowning:

1 Like

That’s how we in the Uk feel about “BREXIT” @ria_rose - In our own way we feel just the same after setting all those other countries free in the 20th century.

I’ll watch your links in a while - and get back to you about them - just felt the need to have a little moan - lol !

All the best

F

Hahaha! :slight_smile: Go ahead F. :slight_smile: Thanks also for giving this issue some attention even though I’m sure you guys also have a lot going on.

You are most welcome.
Thank you for sharing and I wish you the best luck with your big bully neighbors :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! Lots going on with the PH.

Had no idea…

The Chinese seem to be coming in pretty strong. Maybe you should try to reach some kind of deal with the US or the EU, in order to counterbalance China. Who am I to judge, really? But from my viewpoint it looks a bit dangerous to be opening your country like that to the Chinese…

1 Like

I couldn’t blame you. There’s really a lot going on everywhere so I’m sure you guys also have a lot to think about wherever you are. :sweat_smile: :slight_smile:

Definitely! :open_mouth: Just not sure our president is interested (or even thinking about) making deals with the US or the EU for this. I mean, he’s trying to turn a blind eye and convince his people that nothing’s going on. :confused:

Your president is in a tough position. It is never easy to deal with the big bully that robs your lunch money at the school yard.

How do you react?

Do you attack the bully and risk being beaten up?

Do you tell the teachers and risk appearing as a weak winning coward?

Do you turn a blind eye and risk the bully abusing you more and more?

Do you run away and have the bully and everyone else angry at you?

I guess it would take an extraordinary politician to deal with such a complex situation.

If your presi is that kind of man, then you are in safe hands.

If he is not, all you can do is very carefully begin looking for the next right president, hoping you will find the ONE. I wish you all the luck as I have not the best opinion about politicians worldwide.

1 Like

I guess this is all we can do for now. :confused: I just hope we’ll still be able to fix everything he’s messed up over the years. :frowning: