Confused about pips!

so, guvvy, have you thoroughly deunconfused yourself yet?

advice - learn pips, then forget them.

pick and trade the absolute smallest position size that your platform will allow with live money (and always trade that position size). do this for a week, a month, whatever, just accumulate a bunch of live open/close trades to run some metrics on them. then, once the week/month is done, look only at two things: how many trades were in the black (profit) and how many were in the red (loss)? just totals, like 20 profitable and 7 lossy. cool. then look at what your account balance increase is, in percent. over those 27 trades (or however many you make), did your balance go UP by some percentage? or did it actually go DOWN? doesn’t matter what the percentage is (a net of 0.0003% up is still UP).

now, knowing (a) what your rate of profitable trades is, and (b) what your net impact is on your balance, you can typically scale it up, so that if you increase your trade size by 10x, your net impact ought to be 10x bigger.

this is ASSUMING that when you trade, you only watch the chart, and don’t watch your balance go up and/or down while the trade is on. cuz watching the balance in real time is a sure-fire way to distract yourself from what you SHOULD be looking at, and it’ll make you exit your trade at the wrong time.

and while you trade, you don’t count pips or pipettes or cents or yen or whatever.

in fact, don’t count them ever. at all. just count what your balance increases / decreases by. i can be happy with a 7pip profit, others target a 300pip move. but if our position sizes are vastly different, my +7pip can be a much bigger gain (%) on my account than someone else’s +300pip. i may trade a 250k position while they trade a 1k position.

Thanks for your support.

Thats exactly how I was doing it.

Just trade and work out how much I make per trade and if I am not happy with that amount then increase it. The risk is all mine.

I still can’t get my head around 0.1/0.01 volume etc.

e.g. when I go live, if I have an account balance of say 5000USD and trade 1% of that. that is 500 USD now as long as I work out what each pip move is in advance and set my stops at that point and my profit at a certain point so I know how much USD I am prepared to lose and how much I want to make I can then leave pips alone and they can leave me alone?

1% of 5 000 is 50.

You need to allow 100 losses theoretically before you lose your account.

You would lose your account in 10 losses with $500/trade

Thanks for that guys, I am a newbie too and was confused about the 0.01 Vol.