Coronavirus verses Economy

This guy Lance Roberts makes my point.
The disconnect between the economy and the market.
Oh. And he gives some explanation of that NFP report. Interesting.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4353679-macroview-great-divide-stocks-and-economy?utm_medium=email&utm_source=seeking_alpha&mail_subject=lance-roberts-macroview-the-great-divide-between-stocks-and-the-economy&utm_campaign=rta-author-article&utm_content=link-1

The NFP was not a shock - bet if you look locally, are there not more people out, more traffic, and look closely more trucks and vans.

Yesterday a major retail chain re-opened in Ireland - Europe News “Penneys open as 100’s queue for hours”

There is the V - retail spending.

PenneysReopen

Btw the difference between the credit crisis and covad - answer is debt - there is not a squeeze on debt ( remember that a squeeze is applied to shorts - i.e. borrowers )

Money is still available, most governments are seeing to this, borrowing is cheap and printing will not create inflation like it did in the old days - so the infrastructure for recovery is intact.

Borrowing is cheap but that in itself creates a trap for both governments addicted to spending and those in the community with little to no ability to manage money who are happy to buy now and pay later.

Here in Australia a country of 25 million 1.4 million are suffering mortgage stress even in this climate of cheap money. Many live from credit card to credit card. Maxing out one credit card, refinancing to another credit card only to max that card out. The visious cycle of never ending debt can only end in complete disaster once interest rates start to rise, and they will eventually rise. This will see huge defaults and bankruptcies that could well dirve economies in a very long ressession or even depression.

Cheers

Blackduck

1 Like

Surprise surprise - Retail Spending in US better than expected :slight_smile:

Interesting take on that @peterma - But nowadays “borrowing” is pretty much the same as “printing money” - Since “Money” now has no real value and borrowing is simply - the “Lender” (Banks) in essence - typing numbers onto a spreadsheet.

“printing money” - does not actually mean running the Mint on overtime 24/7 - It simply means “typing numbers onto a spreadsheet”

The guy who invented “Paper money” was a fella named John Law ;

I have no reason to believe that the current MMT view of “Quantitative Easing” has any significant difference - either in principle or in fact from the same method used by John Law -

Although he Did have the excuse that it had not been tried before - whereas we don’t !

There’s no denying the fact that Corona virus is affecting the economy on a great extent. Despite the fact that governments of the countries of different nations are making their best efforts to control the situation, its impact on the market is not expected to vanish off anytime soon.

Unfortunately, the impact of the virus on the economies of all countries is simply terrible. I hope it ends soon.

1 Like

Hello.

This would be a good current macro view of the present times.
In case anyone doesn’t know, this guy John Mauldin is a real genius. I don’t think there’s any other economist I look up to more, than this guy (well…Peterma is a close second).

Read up.

Mike

1 Like

Lol - that guy looks like me - except he has a little more hair.

Anyways, on a more serious note, Argentina has been having economic difficulties for some years - specifically with their national debt.

They don’t want to default and have been trying their level best to work their way out - but it hasn’t been easy for them.

The agreements struck with creditors looked to the economic future - and then came the evil of covad19 - now hitting South America especially hard.

In recent hours creditors took a more sympathetic or perhaps realistic view and have relaxed a little.

So if ever the title of this thread is relevant it is in Argentina.

1 Like

I’m sure this was inevitable, but at least a small piece of this is due to the virus.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-01/bezos-s-wealth-soars-to-171-6-billion-to-top-pre-divorce-record

The rich, still getting richer, even with the pandemic.

The collective net worth of the world’s 500 richest people now stands at $5.93 trillion, compared with $5.91 trillion at the beginning of the year.

The government should make schemes in order to support businesses and help companies to save jobs. But with Trump, we don’t know what it will be

I would like to say that the corona virus has actually devastated the economy beyond recovery. It will take a certain prescribed period of time for the restoration to take place. This is because, all the sectors were affected and we need to be very careful in every sector less we may all be eaten up by this deadly disease.

There are a number of questions that you an individual can ask himself or herself concerning the coronavirus pandemic and the economy. The increase in the infection is directly proportional to the decrease in the economy. This is because, there were so many lockdowns in different states. It is good that the economy has begun to regain the growth.

Huh. This was actually pretty spot on. But why does it feel like people don’t care anymore…

It is horrible to see how the coronavirus so sunk the world economy, and how it will affect the world economy by 5.2% if not more, according to the world bank.

That is so true, and with the COVID getting worse again, it is getting out of control for the government as well to control it. If continued, the outcome can be worse than predicted by the World Bank.

Yes, it has definitely affected the economy a lot but I think that the situation will get better soon as vaccines are rolled out in almost every nation and things will be close to normal again

The coronavirus is a complex epidemic in the world today. This epidemic has adversely affected the world’s environment. The economy has gotten much worse. The joint efforts of all are needed to deal with the current situation.

Back in the time when corona started everybody was so confused and worried about world economy and domestic economies as well. Today I think governments handled coronacrisis but not all of them. In some countries small and medium business almost ceazed to exist mostly because the corruption in government led to the fall of these businesses. Government always supported only large business which make lots of money and affect domestic economy. However, there are some countries where coronacrisis was barely felt, here I can state that governments of these countries took lots of efforts to contain economics. Thus, I guess, consequences of corona aren’t so scary as they might be.