Correlation question

Hey there, I’m newbie to forex, hope someone can help.
If the base of one currency going up, then quote of it will going down

Then what happen to other base currencies?

Example:
USD/xx when up, then xx/USD down

Then what happen to
GBP/xx ?
EUR/xx ?
NZD/xx ?
AUD/xx ?
CAD/xx ?
CHF/xx ?
NOK/xx ?
SEK/xx ?
SGD/xx ?

Not 100% sure that I get what you’re asking, but I think it’s this:

Understand that each pair is a relationship between “that pair”. So, you may have USD/JPY going up but also see GBP/USD going up. This is because USD can be rising relative to JPY, while GBP can be rising relative to USD.

That said, if you have a strong surge or strong decline in the USD, you will see it impacting all the USD pairs. In which case it is likely that you will see that correlation where USD/JPY goes up, GBP/USD goes down.

Does that make sense?

Also not sure that I understand your question, but will take a shot.

Are you asking what - for example - can we expect of the USD/EUR, if we see that the USD has dropped against JPY, GBP and others?

If that is the question (and please forgive me if I have misunderstood you), then the answer is a mixed bag. If, to use the example, the USD is performing well against EUR, it is important to have a good fundamental analysis to determine which one is really the one moving (is USD really showing strength, or is the EUR showing weakness?). If you see that the USD is performing well against several currencies at the same time, then it seems very likely that this is a reflection on the USD. If it is performing well against some and poorly against others, it is hard to see anything about the USD that is affecting its global performance, and you will need to analyze it in each of its pairs independently.

I hope this helps somewhat.

There is no rule for this. Sometimes the USD may impact all the pairs with the same volatility but sometimes for example USD/JPY and EUR/USD may trading both to the upside because they are affecting by euro and Japanese yen.

There is a phrase in Economics “Ceteris Paribus” - which means “All other things remaining equal” - So EurUsd would go UP if USD went DOWN - Ceteris Paribus - the same applies to the USD side of any other pair - Ceteris Paribus !

As others have said “Ceteris Paribus” may not apply to each and every pair. It may apply to some, and not to others.

This is all good stuff. While it might not be essential to know why e.g. ZAR rose 1% at 3pm on a given day but (and because) there are further questions that take this beyond academic research and into the realm of practical trading.

One is, “Is this important to me?” i.e. is this a trading opportunity FOR ME? - it could be a reversal, it could be a counter-trend spike, or is it a massive with-trend acceleration?

But the essential question is “What am I going to do about it?” Do I really want to go short on USD/ZAR if every other USD pair shows the big money is going into dollars?

In that case, use fundamental analysis on the ZAR to see if you can determne why it is doing what it is doing

No, exactly what I am suggesting traders NOT do.