COT Report Analysis - a thread on market sentiment

FE,

The markets can be fun, but my message is serious too, there will be guys who did go short in anticipation of US news being at or better than expected, some of those traders will not have placed a stop, they are now in the land of hope - now they are hoping that institutionals will sell on the highs - whether they will or not is yet to be decided - that’s the hope.

My own feeling is that the FED really wants the rise, but they are in an extremely hard place.

NFP, imo, actually increases their dilemma - the recovery is fragile, if spending continues down imagine the effect of a rate increase - the buffer of lower fuel prices has been exhausted.

Interesting few weeks ahead :slight_smile:

FE,

Yeah the S&P, prob a little back down then up to 2100 - then back down, then sells on a head & shoulders pattern, then those get wiped and on up goes the S&P to new highs.

I’d rather be long than short :slight_smile:

Hey guys.

Thursday’s results.

NZD: +818///+6.98
AUD: +770///+6.81
EUR: +115///+1.65
CHF: +159///+.68
CAD: -40 ///-1.16
JPY : -350///-3.77
USD: -364///-4.34
GBP: -1108///-6.58

Comms over Majors +12.63%

Mike

Hi Team,

wow what a move in the past hours on S&P! I got stopped out above BE. What a pitty after that promising start! I will watch now if the earlier support will hold or now. Would be a surprise in the last hours something large happens.

I also suggest to look at the oil charts, it is heading down without a break.

And the COT report comes out soon!

FE

Yeah I think COT report will come in handy with Oil and silver hopefully. Because those two markets are rather difficult at the moment.

Hi Guys,

I think we can see very well this week why we have to look for confirmation on the COT Report and why we should not start catching bottoms, but wait for a trend change. More than that, we have to incorporate technical analysis into our COT Analysis.

Peter already said that if we look only to the recent years then we have some problems with deciding which technical levels are important for [B]USD pairs[/B] as it already went through all support and resistance levels on our shorter term charts. The COT Report shows the same. It does not make sense to trade USD pairs based on the COT Report. They either arrived to an extreme reading or are on the way there. However I would definitely not go long with some weak currencies against USD.

Only based on COT 3 years net positions we have an extreme reading on [B]Nat Gas[/B], [B]Rough Rice[/B], [B]Lumber[/B], [B]Orange Juice[/B] and [B]Platinum[/B], but it does not mean that I would buy any of these.

Interesting is [B]Wheat[/B] where I think we can have a buy signal in a couple of weeks.

I also think that [B]Gold[/B] downward movement will not hold more than 1-2 weeks more. Rookie might show us some technical update here. I think [B]Silver[/B] might fall a bit longer.

[B]Cotton[/B] could be an interesting sell setup.

Do not forget our thread name so I expect some analysis and comments!

Have a nice weekend Team,

FE

Well I had a look through the forex pairs and none are even close to an extreme yet. It’s kinda frustrating actually.

Mornin’ fellas! :44:

I got nothing to report.

We should keep an eye out for [B]Platinum[/B], [B]Corn[/B] and [B]Wheat[/B] as they are approaching oversold levels according to the Composite COT Index.

I’ll probably discard the [B]Platinum[/B]'s signal, as I’d have to establish a position against the dominant bear trend.

On the other hand, [B]Corn[/B] and [B]Wheat[/B] are quite responsive to the COT report, so I’ll consider a position if the circumstances are right.

This week was alright, I bought Treasury Bonds and managed to make some profit. I did not went long on Sugar as it broke right through the support I was watching as a possible entry zone.

Hey Team.

This weeks results.

USD: +10.26%
NZD: +6.92%
JPY : +6.34%
AUD: +2.14%
CAD: +.93%
CHF: -4.87%
GBP: -5.65%
EUR: -16.07%

Comms up +9.99% over Majors.

And the trend continues.
USD boss.
EUR not.
GBP back on down.
What I find interesting is how the Yen has been tailing the USD. I’m not done with all my analysis, (well with the USD I am, but not the others), but take a look at the USD/JPY chart (daily and weekly). We have a divergence coming. Breakout imminent. Also look at the USD/CHF charts. We have a winner! The USD has hit the 100% retracement this past week. And one more that I wrote down (watch) is the against the CAD. They are on the beginning of another leg up. It broke out of the flag, pennant, consolidation.
So, this is what I think. Concerning the USD.
First off, last weekend, do you remember my write up on them, also the EUR? I called it. There is a divergence happening. Well it showed this week. Look at who’s on top and on the bottom.
It’s simple. The USD is trending high. And no one else is favored more. The NZD is probably the next strongest, but this week’s ending totals has shown the tilt. Even with the RBNZ decision, rocking the market.
This week will be interesting. The USD is now poised to do something. Against the JPY and the CHF and CAD. From a technical point of view.
So, we’ll see.

BTW…I made 303.8 pips this week. I’m happy.

Be back later this weekend.

Mike

I’m guessing that this post was directed at me, if not you surely wouldn’t have mentioned Doc :slight_smile:
Its been a while that I haven’t been “thinking” , I’ll start with the detective work and see what I can come up with.

Hey Team

Mike, I agree with you completely. I think USDJPY, USDCAD is onto something “breakout” is becoming more and more evident then again from a technical point of view, although there’s some fundamental support to back it up. These two pairs have so much room to climb higher. I surely don’t want to miss that !

FE, its become apparent to us by now that COT extreme readings alone are not much of a value if not taken into context, context by which I mean price levels technical observation and through this price levels we determine if an intsrument is really oversold or overbought. I’m not sure if i’m making any sense here but I’ll do an experiment on this later next week, and my trustee tool is no other than stochastics. I’ve noticed this pattern it can be seen even with RSI or any other oscillator.

Hi Team,

I wanted to ask you guys if any of you have read deeper analysis about stock market crashes. I would like to analyse those charts, look when exactly they were (I am not fully aware how many big crashes there were) and everything. I guess the most chance is Peter to answer but maybe I will be surprised.

FE

I know we only consider the 1929 and 2008 crashes as the biggest. There was one in 2000 and in 87 as well. Are you looking for like a technical analysis (if there were signs?) or a fundamental analysis.

I’m also intrigued by what’s going on to be honest. We know that in the past, every collapse in the US economy was preceded by a fall in oil prices.
We now have an oil price fall, SPX500 is falling, surely USD to follow? But we don’t have any u-turns in commodities or bonds. If anything they forecast I’m perplexed myself.

Having said that, there is a tool I like to use. this!

The idea is this; when an economy is weak, we want people to take risks (loans) and starts businesses and get the economy going. when the economy is strong we want to prevent the economy from turning into a bubble and bursting. So we keep interest rates high.

So how does that translate on the chart I shared? When the economy is strong, the curve will be almost flat; this tells us that the FED is trying to prevent the economy from turning into bubbles. Borrowing on the short term has an almost identical (high interest rate) to the long term borrowing.

Now what if the FED thinks the burst is about to burst? The shorterm interest rate will be high while the longer term interest rate will be low (remember when interest rates are high we know the FED is trying to put you off from borrowing. So when we see high short term interest rate and low long term ones, its like the fed is telling us “we don’t want you to borrow now because the economy is strong, but we do expect you to borrow in the future because the economy will be weak.”

When the economy is in the dumps? The curve is showing an upward trend. Usually very low interest rates in the short term, but higher ones in the long term because they expect the economy to improve.

So how is this relevant to the stock market you say? That curve my friend, is basically a plotting of the future movement in stock market. The shape of the curve determines the future movement, and the size of the interest rates tells if we are near a top or a bottom. It works best with crashes though.

If you don’t believe me look at the shape of the curve in 2009 and then compare it to SPX since 2009.

What does it also tell us? that when the Fed raises interest rates it is secretly saying “the stock market is about to top and we will try to save it.” That’s why I think raising interest rates is generally bearish for stocks and not bullish.

Hi Philip,

thanks for the explanation. Yeah, I am only looking to understand the technical part of it. It would be good to have a daily chart from every crash. Then look how many crashes they were, how often they came and compare all the charts. For sure they come every once in a while. We could make a nice gain from plotting the next one.

FE

RE: discussion on market crashes.

A few weeks ago I came across this 30-min animated program by Ray Dalio. I think viewing the program could add to the discussion and understanding of market crashes. :frowning:

Link to How the Economic Machine Works [Animation] by Ray Dalio

Ray Dalio is founder of Bridgewater Associates, one of the largest investment firms in the US, and rumored to be the wealthiest person in my home state of Connecticut.

The program discusses the short and long-term debt cycle, productivity growth, Central Bank actions, US deleveraging during the 1930’s and Weimar Republic deleveraging during the 1920’s, and a lot more!

Also on the linked web page you can find a 300+ research paper by Mr. Dalio titled “Economic Principles
How the Economic Machine Works”. The paper goes into much more detail than the 30-min program.

Good post Philip, good to make the brain cells active.

Often when reading after the crashes many market participants will look for what or who was calling it beforehand. You will read in many books that my indicator or my analysis told us etc etc.

Even my favourite w/s has been acclaimed so by it’s author.

The reality is different - calling busts via TA or whatever, was going to say a fool’s game, but then again Mr Livermore made a fortune from the 29 bust (some even blamed him for being it’s cause which was nonsense).

Many times, when I was younger, I was impressed with some guy calling a reversal, then later I would see the same guy calling yet another one and he would be big time wrong.

Harry Dent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Far from knocking Harry, the opposite, I think it is way much easier to say “if price goes up such and such”, Harry sticks his neck out and gets it right and wrong.

I understand FE’s thought on this, is there a common denominator, is there something that applies to past busts that proved to be correct in warning, a heads up, something that can be witnessed on a price chart.

My humble opinion is that there is not. I believe that bubbles and busts, are so truly contextual, so unique in their market and human interactions that a chart can only record what happened after it has happened.

One thing about current times and “patient”, the FED has control of the short term rates, the market takes care of the rest - this is their dilemma, the thrust is June, if I was a FED I’d say Sep please.

D, many guys don’t realize the power of history and how it can affect their current FX trades.

The most recent example has been the lead up to QE in the Euro Zone. Many analysts were trying to guess whether the ECB would finally follow the US, they could not understand why the European economists could not see sense, and least of all why would Germany want to oppose an approach that is known to encourage investment and decrease the value of their currency which would stimulate export growth in a manufacturing country such as Germany.

The answer lies in history.

Well, I’m going to give it a try.

The idea here is to use what I’m about to show you guys with the tool I gave out earlier. Now since we already saw that the curve in the previous post was upwards, we do not expect a crash. The stock market may correct, but it will not crash. That’s the main idea.

Now lets’s combine it with this, an old tool out of the box:

At the bottom of the picture, this is an indicator of RSI the way it should be used. I just want to give a brief map key if you will so we can read the chart I shared properly.

1. RSI measures the strength of buying.
  2. Price is likely to find resistance in two levels of RSI: the 66.6 and the 80 level. When RSI is between 66.6 and 80 we are in a vicious uptrend.
  3. On the other hand, Price will find support in the 33.3 level and the 20 level. When price is between 33.3 and 20, we are in a vicious downtrend.
  4. When price diverges, it indicates a CORRECTION and not a reversal. Reversals have their own pattern which I may discuss later.

On the actual chart, you see pivot points. A few notes on them, the way they should be used. I didn’t invent those methods, but they are rarely used although they are THE ONLY way to use them.

1. When price moves past a pivot point without touching it, price will attempt to move back and touch the pivot point.
  2. When price moves past a pivot point without touching it, we are in a very strong trend. Those untouched pivot points become key areas where the trend is likely to resume. Let’s apply this on the long term chart before I move to the daily chart. You are more than welcome to draw the same levels on your RSI and apply pivot points and compare what I’m about to write on your own chart.

In 2009, price was between the 33.3 and 20 area, a vicious downtrend. By November 2009 it has moved past the RSI 9 moving average, the 33.3 line, the 45 exponential moving average and the 50 mark of the RSI; we are finally in a long term uptrend!

Confirming that uptrend was that price moved past the 2010 pivot point without touching it. What we want to see now is the RSI moving past 66.6 level, find resistance at 80 then diverge at a higher high. This would indicate the price will make an attempt to go down and touch its pivot point.

But that never happened. Come 2013 RSI finally moved past the 66.6 area, we are in a vicious uptrend. In august 2014, we saw the first RSI divergence, price (at the time) was telling us it will attempt to touch 1708 level.

2015 arrived and a new pivot was printed, at 1963. Price diverged again and now price is aiming to reach the 1963 area. We want to see a monthly RSI close to below 66.6 to confirm a correction is on the way The picture gets clearer when we check the daily chart:

The daily chart shows you how price found support at the 30 RSI level consistently. In November 24 RSI was between 66.6 and 80 we were in a strong up trend. Price then moved on to make a higher high two weeks ago but it couldn’t break above the 66.6 area. That’s price’s way of telling us it will try to make a dive and touch the 1963 area. It may not get there, due to shorter timeframe pivots which I don’t want to bother you with right now.

But given what I just shared I wouldn’t want to short this anyways; we have three reasons to buy actually: 1) RSI is showing a vicious uptrend. 2) Treasury yield curve is up, FED expects further rise in stock market in the future. 3) Pivot points tell us the 1963 area will be a tremendous buying opportunity.

In the long term we do expect price to move down and touch those horizontal lines I marked on the monthly chart, but there is no fear of that happening just yet.

Well I agree with a large portion what you said. I agree that I can never protect my equity from a crash (I was short CHF in FX’s black Thursday :D).

On the other hand though, I like to a “bigger picture.” A sense of direction if you while. I could be right and I’m almost always wrong (I was wrong about buying CHF in July until I sold it and turned out to be right. I’m almost always wrong an oil, and may be the US economy.)
It is that same picture that helps make me feel I’m not lost trading day in, day out.

Yep, CHF is a case in point.

We look at the COT, on the futures there was a sense of discomfort from the Commercials in the Christmas period, I remember noticing how active they were in a period that commercials are never active in, cannot recall the details but remember posting about positioning prior to the SNB action.

My own feeling at the time was just to exit CHF, there was really no chart or indicator that could predict, it was just contextual, back again to QE in ECB and the noises coming from German politicians vs German economists.

I remember the Aha moment when I saw that Merkel was opposing QE publicly - that moment I realized it was going to happen and that as a Politician it was good for votes to distance herself from the decision.

This was context, in that moment I knew that Eur/Gbp was headed in one direction, and as in D-pip’s post history was going to play a part.