Cowabunga system MT4 indicator

Yep, i’m using MT4 with Alpari in aswell. I’m gonna set up a goal in long time perspective to learn the programming of these indicators. Just now, i’m trying to get the emails to work. Half-way there at this moment.

Pipalot,
Great, thank you, please let me know if you do make the change. Just to confirm, are you saying that everyone who is trading Cowabunga closes MT4 and reopens it after each alert? Your indicator has helped me tremendously! I just want to make sure I understand correctly.

Do I need to do anything special for the alert to work correctly? Just set the chart to 15min and place the indicator on the chart? Does MACD or anything else also need to be there in order for everything to work?

Also, could you tell me how to determine the price of the pair when the alert occurs? The reason I ask is because my price is always different from the price that PipSurfer posts on his Daily Review, usually not in my favor. I did find a log file with 4 values: MA5, MA10, MA5 Previous Bar and MA10 Previous Bar, but I am not sure which one is the right price?
Thanks,
Mark.

Hello

Is there anyone more that has email problems with the indicator. It [U]does[/U] work, i receive emails saying “buy trigger occured at…” to my mailbox. But not always. Sometimes no mail arrives. Like today at the sell trigger at 9.45 GMT+1 (3.45am ET). No mail arrived. This is not the only time, it happened last week too at some occasions. I did restart the program at 2.00am ET, and thus reloaded the indicator, but still nothing arrived.

way to go, sir pipalot - look forward to trying the system out on Metatrader!

I compared Cowabunga (his blog) trade signals on this day and Cowabunga - any pair indicator. As you can see on the chart below they didnt match.

Can somebody help, please.

Thank you.

AK

guys i am little confused

i have metatrader 4 installed and using cowbunga indicator

its not looks like Black or blue candle

its coming like arrow kind of thing

i am looking for indicator excatly like cowbunga system showing

black candle when bullish and blue when going down?

anyone have idea what i need to do?

pls let me know

thanks

Hi Guys - could someone tell me how to set an audio alarm with the MT4 indicator please?

Many thanks

Pip Surfer uses a charting package that will turn the candle black when the indicator is hit. I think I’ve seen that Xtick is the name of it, but it is not free. The MetaTrader charting does not have a way that I know of to turn the candle black when the indicator is hit. What pipalot’s revision of the indicator for MT4 does, is light an arrow (blue for up and red for down) when the indicator is hit.

It will also send an email if you have the email properties properly enabled in the setup.

It doesn’t look exactly like Pip Surfer’s, and to the degree that different brokers have slightly varying prices, the indicators do not always match. But pipalot’s revision of the indicator works perfectly with MT4, and is a fine indicator.

Hopefully helpful.

Jeff

Do you mean "How can you set up the “Cowabunga - any pair” indicator to give an audio alarm?

Pipalot, if you can help on this, I need to know that too. In the indicator you (or ybop01, if it wasn’t you) did put in a place to say Send Email “True” or “False” but that does not give the option to play a sound or launch a file.

I like that this indicator will send the email, but I also would like if it can launch a file when the indicator is hit, the way the generic alarms will.

In MT4’s generic alarms, if I’m just watching for a price to break a line, the file I like to launch is “O’Jays - For Love of Money.mp3” when the indicator is hit. That way I can hear the song start to play on my computer immediately if my trigger is hit.

I’d REALLY like to be able to have the “Cowabunga -any pair” indicator be able to launch a file.

Are you able and would you be willing to help with this please?

Thanks,

Jeff

hi, pipalot and all of you!

Great work, regarding the Cowabunga-any pair indicator, but due to many winning signals are lost because OsMA has to be negative on the system for uptrend and positive for downtrend shouldn’t be more correct to modify the algorithm on this point or build a new one requested OsMA just gaining / losing value? Anyway it will be very appriciated if someone can do this job for me.

regards

Hello everyone -

I just downloaded the Cowabunga EA for MT4, from a post dated Jan 30, 2007, first page of this thread. After reading numerous posts I believe there is a more up-to-date version. Can anyone direct me to the latest version? :confused:

Thanks, and enjoy the upcoming holidays!

glippmann

Yea, it’s in post #37 of this thread. It was updated by pipalot and he links to in in that post.

This thread is only up to 71 posts (72 now) so it’s not too hard to read, and you can see the history of this indicator. Pipalot posted several updates BEFORE he arrived at the one now called “Cowabunga - any pair”. Those are NOT needed, all you need is the “Cowabunga - any pair” that is linked in post #37.

Still a good read, and you’ll be more informed after you’ve read the whole thread, especially now knowing which one has the indicator you’re looking for.

Hopefully helpful-

Jeff

EDIT ==> The other link in that post, “cowabunga_template.tpl” is also very useful; it will add the correct visuals on your chart. Forgot to mention that.

Thanks Jeff -

Will download and install, and start out in a demo acct.

Happy Holidays

glippmann:D

Is the Cowabunga-anypair code correct. I notice that it doesn’t catch the signal 2007.11.07 13:45(GMT), 7:45(EDT), which is caught as a buy signal
Cowabunga System Daily Update: 11/07/07 - Pip My System - Beginner’s Guide to Forex Trading, Free Forex Education, Learn to Trade Forex, Forex Training - BabyPips.com
If you remove the “signal” requirement from the code it catches this signal too.

You know, it doesn’t. And all four requirements are there. Wonder if we could all get PipSurfer to set up his chart somehow so that whenever he gets a signal it alerts all of us!! :smiley:

Jeff

There is also a “cowabunga_template.tpl” in that same post that will set up all the visuals on your chart. Forgot to mention that, but the link for it is also in this thread.

Jeff

Pipalots modifications are excellent

However, with regard to the missed buy signal - the indicator was only looking to sell at that time. I get a little confused with where the trendline is drawn on the 15min chart - below price means sell, above price means buy, which seems the wrong way round to me - uptrends should be supported and downtrends should be resisted.

Also - looking through the code, the definition of 4Hr trend depends on MA cross, MACD and stochs. There has been talk about this before I think, but my interpretation is that the 4HR trend is ONLY DECIDED BY THE 5EMA/10EMA CROSS. This seems to be all PipSurfer is interested in on the Cowabunga daily reports.

I have changed this in the code, and will move the trendline indicator on 15min chart so that if we’re looking to SELL, its above price, and looking to BUY, its below price.

This was very easy to do but if anyone wants me to post these changes let me know. I’d also be interested to know if I’ve done the right thing!

Could someone please point me in the right direction on info to upload the indicator to the MT4 platform?

If you have a MT4 generic demo account, the folder you want will be in “Program Files” and it will be called “MetaTrader 4”. If you got your MT4 from a specific broker, then in “Program Files” there should be a folder that is named after your broker. If that’s the case, then substitute that folder’s name for “MetaTrader 4” in the following:

Locate the
[B]//metatrader 4/experts/indicators[/B]
folder and put “Cowabunga- any pair.mq4” in to that folder

Then locate
[B]//metatrader 4/templates[/B]
folder and put “Cowabunga_template.tpl” into that folder

Then close MT4 if you still have it open, and restart it.

Once you have your chart open, click “Charts” hover over “Template” and click on “Cowabunga_template”.

If I’m not mistaken, the template loads the indicator automatically, but you can load just the indicator seperately by clicking “Insert” hover over “Indicators” hover over “Custom” and then click on “Cowabunga- any pair” and then click “OK”

Jeff

1 Like

No, in this missed trigger, the trend was up. It should have caught it, and it didn’t.

[I]EDIT 11-26-07 ==> I originally said MACD and not RSI in this post, my mistake. someone corrected me several posts later, but I wanted to come back and correct it here for those who are reading it later so as not to confuse anyone.[/I]

I also thought that PipSurfer must be using only the 5EMA cross on the 4hr for the trend. So I looked inside the indicator file to see if it was also looking at RSI and Stochs to determine the trend, and it is.

But in looking thru the blog that originally describes the Cowabunga method, BigPippin WAS looking at Stochs and RSI on the 4hr as well. Just that PipSurfer’s feed has both the stochs and the RSI in the correct position at the 5EMA cross on the 4hr.

The problem with this MT4 indicator is that on the bar where the 5EMA cross occurs, if the RSI and the stochs don’t also show the trend change in the SAME BAR, then the indicator won’t pick up the trend reversal. It will then stay in the wrong trend until the next change and the next change back.

I don’t know how to fix this, so I just removed the Stoch and the RSI portions of it, and now mine shows trend ONLY on the 5EMA cross on the 4hr. It’s up to me to check it and be sure I have a true trend, but at least this way I get the intended signal more of the time.

I don’t care about which side the line is on, but I would be curious how that’s done; so if you do post it I would like to look thru it.

Jeff