Currency Exposure Sumed

Hello!

What do you all know about exposure? My broker (Oanda) has a tab that shows you the exposure that you have on each type of currency, if it is long or short and the amount of your base currency it is worth.

This looks like an interesting tab and I frequently view it to see where my positions are. I can easily see how short the AUD I am or how long the GBP I am etc. What I like about it is it sums the positions if you have multiple trades across different currencies.

However, I think that there is more to the exposure tab that I realize. I think that it has more usefulness than I am currently using it for, or perhaps I can gain more information from it.

Does your broker offer a similar thing? If so, how do you use it and what does it do for you? I think that it is very important for risk management and being able to see how much of what currency you are exposed to.

Any ideas on this is much appreciated. The picture shown shows what I am referring to. As we all know risk management is the key to success.

Thanks!

1 Like

I think it is much more productive to control these risks on your own, because it will help you better understand economic processes and assess risks. It seems to me that a trader simply has to take responsibility.

Hmm, this is the first time I see it, in fact it is probably a convenient service, especially for beginners, the main thing is that the data is relevant to reality, because if the brokerage company acts dishonestly, it can be dangerous.

1 Like

Interesting, I suppose it’s applicability will depend on how accurately it depicts the market. You should ask your broker if this is trustworthy information or should only be taken as a hint.

When you’re trading, you already know how much risk you’re taking, the chart shows the potential for movement.
Well, on the other hand, it’s an interesting chip that you can use before you adapt to the end.

It’s the first time I’ve seen it, it looks interesting overall, and you checked it out yourself? As far as it’s true. Or is it difficult for you to evaluate it in practice?

It seems to be accurate to me. I like it because at a glance i can see how multiple positions if I have them are interacting with each other. Before a news event or opening another trade I can see how long/short/flat I truly am. 1% on EURUSD for example is a risk I am aware of because i set the position. However taking 1% on EUR/JPY might have a wider/short SL and therefore less/more units of currency. Maybe I do indeed have 2% risk on EUR but I can see the CAD $ amount of these positions. I haven’t ever seen anything like it, not even an indicator.

Well, that’s great, and it can be useful, but I would still check everything personally, because for me the most important thing in the market is safety, I have to keep everything under control and check personally, so that then not to make claims first of all to myself.

Why not, I generally believe that you should use exactly what will make your stay in the market more comfortable.
I generally think that you should take the best for yourself, because this business itself is very complex and I would like to have more of these tools.