Currency Strength & Weakness without Indicators!

Week 2…

(Below) Stop moved to BE (30 pips) once price moved 40 pips inside trade… 53 pip TP.

35 mins later… Gotta love high latency & Slippage… Downunder

GBPNZD (1 Hour) Chart displays 50.5 pip profit… Trade Journal displays 51.5 pip profit…

50+ pips in REAL TIME 0.5 hours… Small Drawdowns… ALL data is available FREE

Looking at 3 currency strength meters.

Currently all three are saying strongest pairs are different.

1. Finviz - 1Day JPY/AUD Sell

2. Forex Power - 1Day NZD/CAD Buy

3. MarketMilk- 1Day USD/CAD Buy

Is it better to pick one and just go with it?

Or wait till all three match for a better confirmation?

Hi @Paulscaff1, the Indicator/Meter result will depend on the strategy used to rate the currencies…

FinViz’s formulation isn’t made available but appears to be over a “shortish” time frame (1-4 Hours?)

Forex Power has variable time frames and uses this formulation…

MarketMilk also has variable time frames and uses this formulation…

You could be very patient and use the alignment of all 3 for entry (or exit) signals… but due to the very nature of data sources and the variation in result calculation… it may take a while if it happened at all.

Trial each CSM Tool on a Demo and see which version proves to be the most reliable.

You will have to rely on the Currency Strength data that suits your particular trading style… always remembering that the longer the time frame the less whipsawing of results will apply…

Hope this of help… Cheers

Hi @Trendswithbenefits

Thanks for your reply, im going to demo with Forex Power for a while as I like the idea of the daily and weekly S/W rankings.

Ive also just found the "Trading the Trend with S/W Analysis’ thread which has been very interesting reading.

Thanks for your advice👍

For anyone that is interested, I MAP Dennis’s data from the Currency Strength and Weakness Thread on a daily basis… I have posted up the results for anyone to use, copy, study etc… on here, so as not to clutter his brilliant thread.

If you take the time to compare to Charts across the same periods you can see how effective the data from Dennis’s matrix can be…

4 Likes

Hi @Trendswithbenefits - just came across this thread - Excellent wiork mate :sunglasses:

I’m sure that @Dennis3450 stuff can be used as one of the basic inputs for a profitable system and I sincerely thnk hiim for the tireless work he puts in on it. :sunglasses:

I hammered a few weeks of his stuff into a Data tab in Excel a while back

Then used the Chart function to pull out any pair I wanted

You can easily pull all the values onto one chart if you want - to get an idea perhaps of which pairs might be a good combo (But then Dennis already does that for us.

Only slight issue I have - is - I’m bloody colour blind !

But maybe I’ll take another look at it over the next few days - I’m still thinking it seems just so LOGICAL !

Atb

F

2 Likes

Hey @Falstaff, hope all is well. I have built a set of indicators that track the data across multiple time frames. (Below is the 4 hour data for the 8 Major currencies and pairs displayed)

Screen displayed @ 3 hours after the Asian Open (UTC +11) Markets are in flux…

I normally trade the raw currency crosses as shown in this snapshot. The USD above the CAD back on the 11th June… The USD above the GBP, the JPY above the CHF… back on the 12th June…have a look at your charts and see how those pairs reacted at the same point… and how trading opportunities are displayed on the top Indicator.

Another example… you can see the NZD strengthening and the USD stagnant… the NZDUSD is rising… same can be seen for the USD against a weakening JPY… the USDJPY is rising… etc.etc.

I can have this strategy applied to all 28 pairs at any given time.

2 Likes

That is simply marvelous, Trends! :+1:

1 Like

A huge shout out to @frandlost, who has found an alternate data source and a way to trade the Currency Strength and Weakness Strategies… Currency Index - Mataf

This site draws on the fantastic TradingView Chart architecture and allows you to use a similar strategy to find entries and exits across all 28 pairs. Build your own CSM charts by using the -Compare- feature to overlay various currencies across multiple time periods…

(See Below)

AUDUSD 4H Chart - AUD x USD… the AUDUSD should be in a gradual uptrend since 25th April.

Scalp XAUUSD on a 5 min Chart - USD is strong… Gold should move down…
This tool can be used for many strategies or trading concepts if you open your eyes to new ideas.

Trial this concept on a DEMO account to gauge its effectiveness for either confirmation or entries and exits to simplify your trading… Hope this is of help…

3 Likes

Note of interest as “things finally start to sink in” …

I have a basic currency strength meter up on my chart in addition to a buy/sell ratio indicator. The buy sell indicator shows a long “green light” and the with the “buys” in the minority and the CS meter shows GBP strength against the US dollar but the majority of of positions are short.

Mmmmm. I think you can see where I went long.

Just food for thought.

KC

thanks for this -exactly what I needed!

Another long term CSW without Indicators strategy using TradingView data…

Nice and simple way to filter SW Currencies… Give it a try on a Demo…

3 Likes

Crazy Times, Crazy Markets…

Stream of Consciousness strategy… Just going to throw a concept I am considering developing into the fray here… rating currencies via the economic strength / weakness of each of the major origin countries.

I haven’t finalised the input data to generate the rating formula… but it will include, financial indicators, effects of pandemic etc…

So, as of the (New York Close) 8.00am 10th July 2020 (UTC+10) the SOC rankings are…

NZD - AUD - JPY - CHF - CAD - GBP - USD - EUR…

Now when compared to the proven SWA formula (Distance from the SMA200 on a 4H TF)

NZD - AUD - CHF - EUR - GBP - CAD - JPY - USA…

We can make an attempt to predict currency movement… NZD, AUD, CHF, CAD, USD are all pretty much in their correct positions of strength (compared to the SWA).

We should expect over the next couple of trading periods (Say FRI 10th - WED 15th) for…

The GBP to strengthen against the NZD, AUD, CHF and CAD…
The JPY to strengthen against the CHF, CAD, GBP and EUR…
The EUR to weaken against the GBP, CAD, JPY and even the USD…

Positions applied and trialed on a DEMO… 35 pip TP’s with NO SL’s…

Lets see what happens over the next few days…

2 Likes

Thanks for another useful video. Keep sharing.

Update after 12 hours… 210 pips closed in profit… 2%+ on Account and carrying only 0.3% DD

Needs more work… Check in again on Monday…

Note: Not sure why margin is so high on CHF… It’s a beta Platform, so might be the issue

Update after 24 hours… 280 pips closed in profit… 3%+ on Account and carrying only 0.6% DD

Check in again on Monday…

Seems intriguing and promising. How is the data derived to get the SOC rankings? It looks like the formula is going to be more complex than the SWA formula.

Hey Trends! This sounds like something we should be paying attention to. If it’s not too much trouble, may I request you to please create a new thread for the Stream Of Consciousness strategy?

Also, someone posed a question related to S/W trading (link below). I also have the same question. Not sure I really get how to trade using S/W analysis. Perhaps I’m just dense. :slight_smile: Would you (or @Dennis3450) be able to elaborate on it? Some chart images and examples of entries and exits that you may have taken along with the rationale behind the trade might be helpful.