Dad looks over my account

Hey guys, so I have a FX account that I trade on, not with much success as of yet. I come from a family where everything involving money, is done together, like a family owned business for example. So my dad has access to my trading account through his phone, always checking if I made money or not. Whenever I have a loss, he says he’ll trade himself, even though he has no experience, which really bugs me. The question is, could this be a reason as to why I can’t trade profitably? Because there are too many eyes on the account? Or is it just in my head. I have a strange feeling he doesn’t want me to succeed in forex or so that I don’t lie to him about the money I make. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

1 Like

How old are you? And how about you just open a demo account without him knowing

2 Likes

I’d imagine thatd be detrimental to your emotional state?

2 Likes

I’m 20 years old. Haha, he can see if it is demo or live in the accounts section, so that wouldn’t work.

Yeah it’s quite bothering. I feel like I’m limited in a sense

lol you can make a new demo with a different email or something, and just dont tell him.

:joy::rofl:
no man/woman he is your dad
it is like saying my eyes does not want me to see clearly
how much is in the account
and who provided the money

Its not much at all, under 2k. and its mutual money.

But the main question is, with him checking the account often, does that affect my trading?

if it is mutual than he wants to see some profit
he wants to see his capital grow
like he sees you grow :thinking:

2 Likes

I highly doubt your dad want’s to see you fail, otherwise he wouldn’t have given you the funds in the first place. But, if you don’t want him checking your account then let just talk to him about it

I’d say, 1. Invite him to take the classes at babypips.com so he can also learn to trade.
2. You know your balance after you’re done trading for the day so if that balance has changed, you know he has made some trades on the account.
3. If he’s just looking at the account to check on your progress then that won’t affect you account.
4. Create a spreadsheet to track your progress and allow him access to that.
5. Discuss your trading plan with him and allow him to be your accountability partner which will keep him included in the process and teaches him while you’re on your journey.

~Just a thought. :grin:

4 Likes

From my experience, having extra eyes on your trading will add more emotional baggage like pride and shame. You’re no longer trading for yourself, but for other people. People will project their own beliefs about trading onto you which may not be necessarily accurate.

You are 20 and an adult, do what you want with your money, he doesn’t have a right to overlook it, if you don’t want him to see the account, then don’t let him.

You gonna be sharing everything you do with money when you are 40 too?

1 Like

Get a grip. His looking should not affect you and probably is not affecting you. You’re losing because of your trading. Do not lie to him and open another account, that’s silly advice. Keep up with your strategy and keep trading. He can look over the account as much as he wants. There are million dollar investment funds which release daily % returns win or lose. You think they’re losing because everyone wants to see how their investment is doing?! No. Keep at it. Analyse losing and winning trades regularly. Good luck.

1 Like

Of course it’s effecting you, or you wouldn’t have brought it to our attention… If you’re already profitable with your fatherly distraction then you’re only in your own head.

it’s not “or” is it in your head, it’s “and” it’s in your head

that’s the handicap you have (just as anyone else trying to trade in your circumstances would have)

it’s hard enough to develop your trading psychology and get it right, without people who don’t even trade looking over your shoulder

you’re a trader and he’s not, so you understand that some losses are inevitable - he may not

that observation sits very uncomfortably with your earlier one that you come from a family where everything involving money is done together, like a family owned business

my guess is that you need somehow, one way or another, to find a way of changing that family dynamic, to have any realistic chance

if that’s out of the question for you (not something we can judge, obviously), trading’s probably not for you, i’d think

for myself, i certainly wouldn’t be willing to continue under the circumstances you describe

I can’t think of any benefit to having an extra pair of eyes overlooking the account especially if your dad is not himself a successful trader. Does he think he will be able to help? Is he helping?

The default result for most traders is that you will not be successful, so adding accountability to a (non-responsible?) third party is only going to add stress or complexity.

So either stick with the family business where presumably your father’s experience has some value or withdraw the money and buy a ticket to freedom. You’re an adult now.

Thats a father’s love relax, it’s one of the ways
that he’s showing that he cares, he’s hoping you’re winning your trades so he doesn’t have to step in and show you how it’s done…

Honestly I think it also has a lot to do with which mentality your father has. Eg my father is rather conservative, quite risk-averse, would always opt for a steady job, it’s a different generation and only if I become really profitable at some point where I would need to tell him, I would share it with him. Until that time I keep it to myself. If however your father is an entrepreneur himself, he could also be a source of inspiration, but I doubt that based on your explanation. As mentioned above, I agree having him as a controlling organism will bring extra stress, mainly because you risk to be very focused on the wins/losses instead of on the process. If you need to confess to him the days you lost, you will feel extra like you failed, and will feel the need to make up that amount the day after, which can lead to emotional decision and hence bad trading decision.
Good luck.