Dealing desk Brokers

Hey All

Can the dealing desk brokers can make change in the chart movement, What are all the other ways they can fraud the customers ?

Hello Raswi,
Yes, you are right, the Dealing Desk Brokers (I.e. The Market makers) rate a market for their clients, meaning they often take the other side of a client’s trade.
Market makers provide both a sell and buy quote, which means that they are filling both buy and sell orders of their clients; they are indifferent to the decisions of an individual trader. They control the prices at which orders are filled. Also, their clients trade on fixed spreads and do not see real interbank market rates.
In general, this type of Brokers earn from the losses of its clients.
To be honest that is why I prefer the NDD/ STP type of brokers, as they are acting as an intermediary between the clients and the liquidity providers. Forex brokers that have an STP system route the orders of their clients directly to their liquidity providers who have access to the interbank market.

so do most NDD brokers

anyone wanting clarification of this need look no further than at why FXCM were recently kicked out of the US and are no longer allowed to trade there

don’t be fooled by these combinations of letters like “NDD” and “STP” and “ECN” which are there solely to fool and confuse the inexperienced

from the point of view of protecting your funds and reducing the chances of your broker trading against you, these confusing terms don’t necessarily signify anything helpful or informative to a prospective retail customer

this is NOT the way to try to choose a safe broker

the way to do that is to look at (1) where and (2) by whom they’re regulated, (3) what their regulatory history is (very, very, very important!), (4) whether they segregate client funds, (5) how long they’ve been established, and (6) what their reputation is

the sixth of those six points is the hardest to judge, because it’s both subjective and interpretative

the first five are objective and need no interpretation, they just need access to publicly available information

when judging their reputation, IGNORE “review websites” (where brokers post under hundreds of different names) and especially “affiliate review websites” which have affiliate links and recommend the ones that produce the most affiliate income for them when new customers open accounts having clicked on their link and stored their affiliate cookie on their PC’s

also IGNORE forum comments, especially in beginners forums where many of those posting, with honest and helpful intentions, don’t understand what the different types of brokerage are and how they work, and are confused about things like “NDD” and “STP” and “ECN” which are confused and confusing to people who don’t really know the industry from the inside, and about which masses of misguided nonsense is published all over the web

take recommendations only from people you know personally (not just online) and trust, whom you know to be trading successfully over the long term

if, as a beginner, you’re unable to do that (like most beginners), then just stick to the first five parameters of the six, and ignore “recommendations”

if anyone’s really interested, i recommend Oanda, who are honest and reliable, but obviously you have absolutely no reason to believe me at all as you don’t know who i am, and for all you know i might be an Oanda employee (actually i’m not, and i’ve never worked for them, and that recommendation is made even after allowing for the fact that their spreads aren’t quite the very best in the industry)

better still, if you have enough funds, use Interactive Brokers, which is a genuine broker, not a counterparty (that means they don’t hold the other side of your trades)

p.s. nearly forgot to say, most important of all, run run run away from “brokers” offering deposit-bonuses and no-deposit-bonuses and free competitions: these things are the biggest red flags you can find - genuine, honest brokerages can’t afford to offer those gimmicks and don’t need to anyway

4 Likes

Excellent post, @flamingoproxy! Everything you said is spot on except your comment about counterparties. We explain how counterparties work in the forex market in this earlier post: Who is the counterparty in an exchange?

@Raswi and @eyedfondue, you could benefit from reading that post as well, since it addresses misconceptions you have about dealing desk brokers and forex trade execution in general.

1 Like

thanks, forex.com

i understand your perspective, of course, as a market maker yourself

i’m not complaining about that, at all, needless to say - most of this forum’s members will have no other option apart from using a market maker brokerage, and of course we both know there are very good ones and very bad ones

1 Like