Definition of rich

You would think that surely, of all the people in the world, we traders are not going to be intimidated or embarassed or morally compromised by frank discussions about money and getting more of it.

Instead of which some of us pull back from the issue, avoid the appearance of being concerned with money, avoid the implied accusations of greed, selfishness, avarice, and profiting from others’ misfortunes.

In reality, money must be expressed as a currency, is directly interchangeable and has no inherent value. As forex traders we already know this. So you can define what is a type of money by whether it is an abstract numerical statement in interchangeable currency. Money cannot be directly exchanged for freedom from disease, firm friends or good relationships. The proof is that these cannot be exchanged for money either - currency exchanges must be workable in both directions.

So money and these other aspects of life are not comparable. Its a personal decision how much value each has.

2 Likes

Hello Rickster99

Sorry to say but I did think before I posted. The problem is you just completely missed the point of what I was saying. Yes it probably is better to be rich and sick rather than poor and sick and yes we most likely will get sick as we get older.

However sickness is indiscriminate of age and can strike at anytime. The point is as illistrated in the quote, “Rockafella said he would give all his money to have his health back,” Given a chioce of good health OR sickness Rockafella realised the importance of good health for a happy life.

Imagine as a trader if you woke up one day and your sight was gone, you were blind or if you contracted something serious like MS or motor neurone disease or some other debilitating illness. Your quality of life is gone and no amount of money will bring that back. When faced with the fact that you are now a very sick person maybe you would also think that it would be better to be healthy and poor rather than rich and sick.

That was the point I was making. And incidently the quote about Rockafella is a true quote it is not BS.

I leave you with another true quote that you may like to ponder over.

“The great equaliser in life is death. Death does not discriminate. It doesn’t care if you are rich or poor because death comes to us all.”

Have a good weekend.

Cheers

Blackduck

2 Likes

That’s a really good point Tommor. Money is merely a tool.

There is a billiant movie called “Margin Call” and in that movie one of the characters who happens to be the big boss and played by Jerome Irons, makes a brilliant statement.

He says, “Money, its made up. It’s nothing more than pieces of paper with ptctures printed on it. Something we use to get something to eat rather than killing each other.”

He goes on to say in the same speech something else that is very true and that most people, particularly today, don’t get and that quote was, "In this world there will always be winners and losers, happy foxes and sad sacks, fat cats and starving dogs.

Cheers

Blackduck

2 Likes

My definition of rich is having enough money to afford everything I want without worrying about the bills and having enough assets that work for me without having to analyse them everyday.

1 Like

The original post was what’s your definition of rich within trading. I’m not sure what’s with all these random posts of health, wealth, death, rockafella. I’m probably missing the point because it’s so off topic. Anyway I’ll leave my posts at that because the thread is digressing off point.

I have notice a consistant theme with your comments to myself and others on this topic. That is if anyone dares expand or offer a comment on what may constitute wealth and or riches that does not fit within your narrow definition has incured your scorn.

The problem is that conversations usually evolve and expand as more and more people join the conversation and add THEIR OPINION. I guess that presents you with a serious delemour, do you evolve with the conversation or do you leave the conversation all together. I don’t believe that there are strict guidelines that stipulate that the conversation within a specific topic is forbidden from ever broadening into a much deeper meaningful conversation.

It would appear that I am not the only person who shares a different idea on what constitutes riches and wealth.

Have a great day

Blackduck

2 Likes

i agree completely, it is actually relevant to factor in those elements that define ‘rich’ because although we are traders, we’re also human where emotions; how much we try to suppress/detach when trading, it is still there. also, i like that this topic has grown into a much broader subject simply because i want to know what other peoples’ definition of being rich

2 Likes

Great point and well said.

Trade well

Cheers

Blackduck

2 Likes

Time freedom (do what you want when you want), Financial freedom (no financial worries), Health (well enough to enjoy life), and Happiness (contentment) is how this kitty would define being rich. :cat:

4 Likes

Being rich is so relative. For me it’s about earning just enough to pay my bills and for my travels, while enjoying what I do for a living. Considering my interest in forex, I want it to be my sole source of earning.

1 Like

Covers all aspects nicely.

2 Likes