Do you need to invest large to earn large profits?

Hi. I’m new to Forex trading. About investing . Do I need to invest large to profit large on Forex? I realize that when I learn about the 2% risk management. Is there other way to profit large in Forex?

Invest nothing until you know you will make a profit.

So, study charts to see how price behaves, understand the effects of news events and scheduled announcements, see how rotation between currencies impacts on the major pairs, learn and understand TA. Then borrow a basic trading strategy and test it in a demo account, but keep it realistic with a small capital with a strict risk management regime.

When you’re making virtual profits, open a small live account and just try to replicate it. When your equity curve is a steady upwards slope, you’re ready to start trickling more money in.

2 Likes

I would caution against the mindset of earning big so early on in your trading career. There are ALWAYS risks involved in trading, and even the most experienced traders lose money on a good 15-20% of their positions. You cannot go too far wrong if you force yourself to start off slow, learn what you’re doing, and aim for more modest, consistent earnings. It will help keep you from getting too overconfident and cocky if you hit a winning streak, or too desperate to make up as much as you can as quickly as you can, if things don’t go your way.

2 Likes

Apart from a few institutional scalpers, the most experienced traders lose money on a far higher proportion of their positions than that, because they understand that long-term profitability is about cutting losses short and letting a few winning positions run, and they normally have win-rates below 50% - sometimes well below 50% - because market realities predispose to those working out more profitably in the long run, as explained in such detail in many trading beginners books.

People losing money on only 15-20% of their positions (i.e. people with win-rates of 80-85%) are very, very rarely profitable traders, overall. With the exception of professional, institutional scalpers.

Probably, yes.

99.99% of retail forex traders need either to invest large or to compound very steady, consistent profits very regularly over a very long time, which requires a degree of patience, discipline and persistence that very few people really have and even fewer develop.

1 Like

Personally, I believe it is more important to focus on survival than how much money you make. Everyone is going to have a losing streak. It is important to be able to weather it.

1 Like

Large knowledge is more powerful than large trading capital! Without enough knowledge a healthy trading capital is not enough here!

1 Like

You don’t need to invest large on forex at begining. First you must learn how to make profit trades and after that you can invest large.

1 Like

@victory19
It depends how good trader you are. If you are capable to lets say make 5% each month without risking too much or overtrading than you can simply calculate how much profit will you make each month on average.

1 Like

Thank you all for your advice and comments.

If investing large means to you to go all in, relying on the 50% for success, then the answer is NO. Stick to your risk management and adjust the lot size based on your equity. And as TacitaTrader advised just be patience :slight_smile:

Listen, small trading capital is not such a problem for the good skilled Forex trader! Don’t invest your money if you are not consistent in your demo! But, it’s true big investment brings big profit when traders are knowledgeable enough.

You need to verify you have an edge. To get sufficient data I generally use backtesting. It is hard to get a large enough sample size trading in a demo account unless you are going to trade in a demo account for a year.

:relaxed:

Yes, backtesting is a good alternative but, it’s only for knowing the value of trading strategy! But I seem, without demo only backtesting wouldn’t be helpful.

You can start trading with any sum. But to make good money, you should also have a lot of it in your deposit. It’s, of course, possible only in case you stick to you money management.

First learn money management then decide how much amount you need to get profits. High amounts will not give you profit without trading skill. I know many people who started with just less than $500 and now they are working with $10,000 . It does not means they get all profit they learn the art of profit taking then invest more amount in their accounts.

Personally I would be unlikely to leave £10,000 in a trading account ! If you’re that good and wnting to risk 2%, remove 8,000 and bet 10% of what’s left. You can always put some back if you need to !

I must say there is no need to invest a large amount until you not prove your self good in trading . This practice can be done by investing some proper amount. First try less amount to see you can handle this amount or not. If you need more practice go to demo again. High amount is not guarantee of high profits you need high skill of trading.