Does anyone use Notion for their trade journaling?

hai, I like your journal, I think your trading journal is better than Hannah.
would you please share your Notion template.?

Still havenā€™t made one. Very much a Notion newbie. But Iā€™ll figure it out and post it after this weekend, if no complications. I need some time to make changes to my the journal section (where you document your trades), which Iā€™ll explain in another post.

Things that are heavily customized to suit my thought process though:

• Currency checklist which is heavily favored for a custom built MT5 csv upload
  • Currency forecasts, since I made the section in notion, is being used to store the analysis for the 28 pairs. Since a substantial amount of people donā€™t analyze and keep records of the 28 pairs this might be overkill or redundant.

I have also built table relationships and rollups (fields that bring related fields from related tables) between checklist, forecasts and journal. The workflow Iā€™m still fleshing out in itā€™s entirety because Iā€™ve just started the process of reviewing older trades. TLDR - Iā€™m still ironing things out. LOL

1 Like

Optimized the roll-up tables and formula to generate other bits of information like trend direction, pip targets, etc from the analysis/forecasts. Have tested the workflow extensively the past month or so and works really in its:

• Ability to draw on the analysis for each of the currency easily from without leaving workspace
  • Ability to create and edit a trade journal entry, tying it to checklist and analysis

Biggest benefits to the workflow is how elements can be incorporated as part of your trading plan. E.g. Not opening positions if no trade journal entry is made or not opening any trades till you finish reviewing currency pairs due for analysis for the day.

It greatly reduces impulse decision making, if used properly and as intended, and, at the time of trade execution, simplifies decision making to a mostly yes/no decision.

Decided against creating a template. The thread was created with the intention of finding other Notion users and exchanging ideas to improve workspaces/workflows. If someone else wants to use the ideas to develop a template of their own theyā€™re free to do so.

The established filters pop up quite a few potential currency pairs. One way I pick the easier trades is to compare the low and high values from the previous 10 candles without having to open any charts to see price action.

Highlighted example is USDCAD as of previous day.

Candles 1-10 are captured as 0-9 in the csv. Hence candle 0 is the most recent candle in array, which 9 is the furthest. Observations:

• Price has moved atleast 296.6 upward from the 10 day low
  • Was still trending strong above 2 Bollinger deviations (2+ value in notion).
  • Despite the 10 candle high being yesterday, price also closed 79.8 pips lower indicating a sizeable tail.

How it looks on the D1 USDCAD chart:

New addition:
Small change in the form a to-do list, above the currency data. Small and almost insignificant modification that, to me, makes a huge difference in maintaining a routine. Iā€™m sure there are definitely better ways to accomplish this for power notion users. This is good enough for me, for the time being atleast. Might evolve later.

Hi there, I also use Notion, mainly to journal my trades and log my my backtesting. The tables are better than traditional spreadsheets and itā€™s easier to ASR & review my past trades. Although my templates are much more simpler and minimalistic, some of yours have inspired me to try out new new things/templates. Great to see other traders using Notion, and following Hannah FX. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So glad to find another person working on Notion too. Yea, thatā€™s totally the intention. Bounce ideas & hopefully improve whatever process we each have in place :smiley:

1 Like

Hello, mate.

I am starting using Notion as well to journal everything.
I am new in this so I am figuring out how to use it, Was doing a little research on Google and got loved with your template.

Now, I am just making some weekly reviews of my pairs.

May you be able to share it someday? It would be very helpful, bro.
If donā€™t, thanks anyway.

I am using excel today using an old template that really looks like crap. Spending so many hours on it, it would be nice if it looked nicer. I received a trading journal template for notion that I tried. All good but Iā€™m missing statistics. I havenā€™t really tested notion out and learned its features. But is it possible to do statistics like winrate in percent, winrate on different strategies. Montly winrate, most successfull pairs and so on? Maybe someone has a template with this that I could try and build from there?

Hi,

Apologies for the delayed reply. Was away. Iā€™ve honestly not even attempted making a template yet but what concerns me is how personally customized it is for my requirements, like that file upload. And as Iā€™m evolving as a trader Iā€™m also constantly evolving the workspace (getting rid of stuff that helped me earlier but is not as impactful at present).

I took a lot of ideas from stuff I was reading/watching and tried to adapt it to my requirements. Took ideas not only from Hannahforex but also from a few excel templates I came across, reporting template on forex tester 4 and a book by Kathy Lien.

I think my knowledge is limited, compared to most notion power users, but I can share my experience and knowledge from the constant tinkering I do in this area for my benefit if you have specific problem areas.

Thatā€™s my biggest gripe with notion to be honest. Iā€™ve not found a way to aggregate the data as easily as you can with an excel pivot table for instance.

There might be workarounds I havenā€™t explored yet because notion has the ability to sync with google worksheets.There might be a way to build a dashboard in a google worksheet based on a notion import.

You can implement a boolean value using the logic functions though. For e.g. creating a checkbox that automatically populates if a trade is a winner. Hereā€™s an example I did to determine whether I took any trades against the recommendations from my weekly currency analysis.

You can go to the bottom of the table and apply a calculation like so:

The issue is that if you wanted to find the winrate for specific periods, currency pairs or strategies youā€™d have to apply a table filter to arrive at the number. The more specific it is the lengthier the drill-down. Itā€™d not fulfill your requirement though if you wanted to tabulate the win-rate for all the currencies/strategies or wanted to find say the top 5/bottom 5 like you can with a quick excel pivot table.

Itā€™s exactly the winrate for different strategies that Iā€™m after. Maybe I should just investigate excel pivot table since I wasnt aware of the function. Thanks!

This might hep. I created a gif where I created a quick excel pivot table here. Itā€™s really useful for drilling down into your data and is quick to apply with a little bit of practice.

Notion just implemented simple tables a few days back. I havenā€™t tried it out yet. This might open up a few possibilities.

Iā€™m now also starting to use Notion and wow this product is seriously growing. Lots of very entreprenurial folks starting to sell their Notion templates on gumroad!

Yea, I was troubleshooting something that happened with my upload yesterday and stumbled on this video. Seriously wondering if I should monetize parts of this atleast. LOL

It might have become just all the more better. Look at these updates on the 23rd of Dec:

• The whole charting thing I complained about might be resolved. Will have to explore and see how it works.
  • Plus thereā€™s an option for flowcharts. Great for folks mapping out a trading strategy like this:

Dude you totally should. People are selling theirs on gumroad.

1 Like

Notion released the ability to group/sub-group items in a database that has some uses in my current workflow.

Iā€™m actively using it in my currency analysis as below. Shows how:

• I group my data
  • apply a manual sort (mouse drag) to put the 28 active analysis on top and then
  • toggle the hide/show features.

The grouping gives a clear count of items in the group. I donā€™t have to manually count or apply a filter to get a group count to see if I have the analysis for the 28 pairs. Since I need to ensure one active analysis per currency pair for the rest of my workflow this is a very quick way to determine if Iā€™m missing out on one or have duplicates.

Thereā€™s another use case for the journal to group active orders & closed orders. Because I implemented a filtered table in the front page of my workspace I canā€™t see how thisā€™d be a value add for my current setup. But certainly useful for other folks who have a different workflow.

While my routine isnā€™t as regimented as maybe some other folks I can see more usecases going forward if and when I want to tighten it.

Not something Iā€™ve used so will take a look, thanks for the share

1 Like

Dude that is so sweet. Meanwhile my Notion is a MESS. I need to spend time organizing my stuff. But trying to look for tutorials etc is already time consuming in itself siiigh. So props to you for going all in on this! How much time do you think did you put in setting up your Notion pages like all in all?

It took me a while to get to the current version of some of the stuff Iā€™m working with gradual increments over time. But thatā€™s the beauty of it. You can put down something very basic and work on gradual increments over time to make it work the way you want.

But itā€™s still evolving honestly speaking. Thatā€™s because I really want to implement a journal grading system and include economic data. My journal in these instances will undergo some changes.

My approach now (might not work for everyone else) is to define a requirement and understand whether:

1. Notion has the capability to fulfill the requirement
  2. If not, find whether there are other workarounds that can make use of my current Notion workspace.

What if you put up any questions or difficulties you have on this thread? Iā€™m not as capable as some of the youtubers out there but I might be able to help I think.

Iā€™m using Notion right now not for trading though. Using it more to organize my life - the stuff I read, inspiration etc. Right now Iā€™m just dumping everything into it. It sucks lol. One day Iā€™ll sort them but for now itā€™s just a growing pile of links and images dumped together.

I do have some templates (calendars and to-do lists etc) that Iā€™m using from other YouTubers but thatā€™s as far as Iā€™ve gotten right now. Yours is just on a whole nother level!

1 Like