Does your country of residence affect your broker choice? And why?

If it matters, I’m residing in Malaysia and I couldn’t decide on which broker should I use. Apart from the debate between a market maker and ECN brokers, does anyone base their broker choice on country of residence?

1 Like

Hi @ericc,

In this thread, we discussed the global currency hubs: What are the Deposit and Withdraw Option of FOREX.COM

For traders who live in those major trading centers, it makes sense to consider brokers regulated in their home country. Since you live Malaysia, you may want to focus on brokers regulated in Singapore, Australia or the UK.

The advantage of trading with a well-regulated broker is there are both financial and trading standards set, ongoing monitoring by the regulators to ensure compliance, a framework for handling complaints from customers, and the power to enforce actions against regulated brokers for violations.

1 Like

As per my opinion country of residence doesn’t affect the broker choice that much.
A broker far from your residence might lead to delay in execution speed. However it can be overcome by using a VPS near to the servers of your broker. Many brokers provide free VPS services if you make a handsome deposit. The VPS I use gives me excellent results and I do not face any latency issue.