Donchian Channel Trading

i would say that depends on the timeframe you trade…

as mentioned before in the thread i trade smaller TFs, so i will catch a lot more trends than Adrian does…but his average wins are also much larger than mine…so, it’s just a matter of what you prefer…

Today was a bloodbath (03.12.15)… My over 24% equity plummetted to a mere 1%. More than half of it hit stops… I lost 13% equity.

This was my prized daily channel, which I groomed daily. It did so well…I have spent the last couple of months showcasing this account… It was my precious (in a smeagol voice)
I nurtured it, opened new trades once the dc channel outers were hit, carefully planning everything. It built up a nice 22k in pips. The small losses racked up and were in about 20%. If all my positions were to be closed it would have brought it into the green again…I had to make 37% to cover all the losses & swaps, I was almost there.

All lost…I am so disheartened… Maybe this is a good time to move away from a smaller timeframe? My weekly channel is unscathed though, well, not entirely, it is in the -3% now, it was up 6%.

I had plans for the daily channel. I was going to offer signals on that… It has been years now…I have lost a bit and would like to finally have some form of income from forex…

Well there goes that idea…

#thisdaywassobad

I think one of my biggest contributors to yesterday’s collapse is my lot sizing on entering a position again with a bigger lot size. I had this very bad idea that if a trade was in profit of x pips I would enter it again with a bigger lot size.
Now I am looking at using x period of maturity before entering again or should I forget that.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

when i started trading DCs i also added to profitable positions, only to stop doing it after giving back profits and sometimes even end up losing…

if i have an open position i just move the stop…i only open new positions on DC breakouts if i have NO open position…no more multiple positions trading DCs…

it’s also not necessary, as i used to trade between 36 to 65 different pairs…so you always have enough open positions at the same time…position sizing is the most important thing…normally i trade between 0,1 - 0.5 % of my equity in one single position…

but again, that’s just my way, my experience…

Thank you Forexmike, really needed to hear that. I think I will then stick to having a daily channel, as it did fabulous until yesterday - thanks to my own greed…

What ever way one trades, there is no perfect style or system to trade. When there are BIG news coming out like NFP all bets are OFF. If your a long term trader , then the affect is not great. If you have a short term trade going on and is in the money , best thing is to close it before the news come out. A stop lost will not help you if the trade goes against you and wipsaw beon your stop.

hi guys,

i’m back with a 28 (1h) DC…let’s see how it works out…

what about you, adrian? still in the game with your loooong weekly DCs? :slight_smile:

Welcome back! Will this account be linked to myfxbook so we can track performance?

here is the myfxbook link…

https://www.myfxbook.com/members/demofx/dc-28-1h/1457460

I am making one small but drastic change to my systems with the new year. I am not going to filter trades with a moving average, I am trading channels in the direction of positive rollover. So my filter is to filter out negative rollover. Last year, negative rollover took too big a bite for my taste. If a pair has negative rollover in both directions I will simply not trade it. If a pair has positive rollover in both directions I will trade the channels in both directions. Being that my systems can hold positions for weeks or months at a time, rollover is a much bigger concern for me than for shorter term traders.

I realize that I will miss some big moves with this filter, but I will also miss some very expensive rollover costs and thus keep more of what I do earn and take less risk.

-Adrian

nice idea…for longterm traders like you this will definitely make a difference…

rihan, how are you doing in the new year?

my new DC 24 (1h) is doing quite well, can’t complain :slight_smile:

hi guys,

does anybody have experience with Bollinger Bands?

i just started reading about them…maybe another interesting channel trading style…

Hi guys, is anyone here still keeping this thread alive, or using this method? I’ve recently been reading about the turtles and am putting together a trading plan (which markets, Time frames, entries, exits, stops, position size)to back test and also to run on a test account.

Anyone around to discuss? Did anyone get any success with this long term?

Hi, I use DNC’s mainly on the 1H chart set to 55 I have attached a trade I have been in for a while.
Also in AUD/USD and AUD/JPY from yesterday

M$M

hi

yes, donchian channels worked for me for quite some time…with nearly every timeframe i used (mainly short term)…

if you have questions just ask and we’ll see if we can answer them satisfactory for you :wink:

wow, your chart is quite loaded with indicators…what is your main indicator? DNC or one of the other?

HI, 55 DNC, 200 MVA, 200 MVA set to 4H chart and 2 ema’s just to confirm trend. The middle line in the DNC I use to see if a pair pull-back to this.
I run a strong week analysis every day sometimes twice a day and then using the strongest against the weakest I decide the pairs to trade.
Any questions just ask mate
M$M

hey adrian and rihan,

are you still trading DCs?

I triggered a AUD/USD short yesterday, stop will be trailed using the DNC . 1H chart attached

M$M