Easy 5 minute Trading

A couple notes on the EA settings:

Instead of bool True/False, I use 0=false and 1=true so I can use these variables in the optimizer.
The MaxTrades setting is not functional. I removed the setting after uploading this.
The EA will open one long at a time and/or one short at a time, (i.e. possible to have long and short open at same time, so will be an issue for NFA, non-hedging, but that can be changed easily).

CloseOnReverse does just that, will close opposing trade if new trade presents itself in opposite direction.

CandlesBetweenTrades, just prevents multiple trades opening on persistent true condition. If you want trades no closer together than, for example, 5 candles, then just put 5 in that setting.

If you have any value other than 0 in the “lots” setting, RiskPercent is ignored. The risk setting is based on USD value of $10/pip/lot, also it is not based on StopLoss. It is as if StopLoss is 100.

Found a couple errors in the EA code, will be uploading a new version soon. Trash that one.

No worries thanks, nice EA little EA :slight_smile: Thanks for the hard work will let you know how i get on with the next version of your EA.

I do have a suggestion, what would be nice is if the EA would draw the Fib levels on the chart it is attached to showing the levels and prices next to the levels so it would look like todays GBPUSD as below, this is a zoomed out view of today:

The only reason for having this is so when we attach the EA to the chart we can see what its doing and how close the price is to the current levels so it helps us to make decisions as to if we want to close the trade manually.

It also means we don’t have to draw the levels manually every day just to see what the EA is doing. Also this would help if i dropped the EA on several currency pairs to test it as i would not have to go through all the pairs daily to set up the Fibs. I know it will only take about 5 mins for each chart, but it would be nice to use the exact levels and prices the EA is using.

Also it would make it easier for us testers to spot any potential faults with the EA so it should be easier for us to report it to you?

Also it might be nice to add a true/false option for trading on mondays and fridays as im sure some traders dont trade those days.

Also how is your backtesting with the new version of your EA ?

Thanks for listening :slight_smile:

k, found errors that, now corrected, have improved results. Still not sure it can compete with manual trading of WindsorFTW.
Was just about to post it, when I saw your response SandyBeach. I already added in drawing the fibs, it switches automatically between long and short fibs depending on the condition of candle [1], up or down. The fib values are set to the values used in WindsorFTW’s calculations. However, it did not draw in the actual price values on the right side. I figured out how to add them to the descriptions. Added your Trade Monday - Friday switches too.

Also, added “Allow_EA_Trades” : True/False so you can just use the ea as an indicator to draw the fibs automatically without trading. But it still needs to be in EA folder. Think it’s about ready to show.

Wicks_ea_v2.zip (3.7 KB)

Thanks for your hard work, it is much appreciated, i’ll let you know how i get on with your new EA, to be fair the strategy is quite simple, were not comparing the charts with Stoch, MA and half a dozen other indicators, so were have to see how it plays out, but it would be good for those who have been trading this strategy for a while to give your EA a try for feedback.

Providing there are no more bugs the EA should work as well as manual trading, there is the human element of watching the news and deciding when not to trade etc.

Great work !

One last thing, re: drawing “squished” fibonacci indicator and maybe taking a bad trade: The input settings
"Use_ATR_size_filter" will limit trades to the first previous candle (candle[1]) that is at least the size of the AverageDailyRange,
and the “Use_Fibo_size_filter” will limit trades that have the Fibonacci 0-100 distance at least the size of the current candle (High[0]-Low[0]).
I mentioned before, the ZigZag filter will limit trades within 4 candles of ZigZag points (depends on the ZigZagDepth setting, how many points the ZigZag has).
and the Hi_Lo_filter will limit trades that are within 3 candles of highest high or lowest low of last 10 candles. These are all turned off by default (setting = 0)

I keep meaning to give thanks to WindsorFTW for sharing his code to allow this effort. I hope this can be of use.

Going to try out your EA bentz,

I’ve been manually trading whicked wicks for weeks with great success, so ill see how your EA holds up :slight_smile:

Cool MitchelForex. Let me know.

However, I’ve got it on several pairs, and the candles and fibs say it should be in a few trade but its not, so I need to troubleshoot it. Could be just my platform. Yours might work. But will update it in a few hrs. Have to run out a while right now.
If it does make trades, will really like to know if it duplicates what you would have done manually. That’s my goal, to make it as accurate as possible.
Talk in a while.
jim

Yeah, some trades should of triggered, however I’m not getting fibs or a triggered trade.

I’m not experienced with EA’s so it might just be me being slightly silly, I might PM you later about it :slight_smile:

Ok, not sure where the issue lies, but I’ve added debugging comments, you’ll see on the left side. These checks should all show a “1” indicating all conditions for a trade are present. If there are any "0"s, note which one it is and how it contradicts with the “real world” manual trade you are want to place.
Also, when it should be taking a trade, labeled dotted lines will show next to the fibonacci indicator. This should make it easier to see if the price is too close to TakeProfit and StopLoss values to open a trade.

When you first place the EA on the charts, it may show a trade should open, based on candle[1] and candle[2] conditions, but the current candle[0] price may have moved out of acceptable range to open the trade. This should only happen when you first put the EA on the chart. But when live price action is happening, a trade should be placed when the real price hits the 110% fibonacci mark.

If the fibo is too squished, the trade values will be too close to current price to open a trade, and you’ll find in the debug comment an error code, usually 130. To prevent this, you might want to use one of the size filters, or just ignore it.
Also, I’ve set the default “Allow_EA_Trades” to false so it won’t trade until you specifically change this to “True” for safety reasons.

One more point: this EA uses “MarketOrders” to open trades, not pending orders. If that is an issue, it can be changed. By the way, my skype name is james.bentz if live chat will help trouble shoot the development of the EA.

Wicks_ea_v3a.zip (4.31 KB)

You trading on Mondays or holiday weeks?

I told myself I shouldn’t setup trades today what with it being labor day, but I did, and lost.

I’ll look into it

and I can definitely say some live chat will definitely help, I can see this EA doing wonders when you get some really good feedback going :slight_smile:

Yeah, I generally trade mondays. I havent had a public holidays over here since I started testing it so I haven’t had any experience, its not like a holiday over in the sydney exchange is going to do anything significant though :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: and with me having no idea bout overseas holidays :stuck_out_tongue: I wouldnt really take that into consideration ahah

Great little EA will let you know how i get on with it.

When i compile the EA i get the message “Function “ma” is not referenced and will be removed from exp-file”

sandybeach, that’s a function that I don’t use in the EA, so the decompiler, being efficient, doesn’t bother compiling it into the ex4 compiled version of the EA.

Its not a problem.

to all:
So here is again modified version. As I “re-discovered”, my EA’s use a combination of MagicNumber, EA name, symbol and chart timeframe as identifiers for trades. So, if you have version 3 on a chart with open trades, and you replace it with version 4, version 4 will not identify trades with version 3 as open, and it will put on new trades.

Therefore, either rename the new version to the version you already have open trades with, or, close open trades with old version, and then put new version on the chart.

This version replaces market orders with pending orders which, I believe, you’ve all been using.

As you can see, this is a work in progress. Let me know how it does.

Wicks_ea_v4a.zip (4.67 KB)

on change from market to pending orders, overlooked couple things, mainly, how to delete open pending orders. So now, if candle[1] changes direction, it will close pending order in wrong direction and open new one in correct direction.
also found error in calc for short pending order stoploss.

Also, Mitchell asked for risk based on stoploss size, so that is a boolean true/false selection in the settings now.

Hopefully version change will slow down now that kinks are getting worked out.

Wicks_ea_v5a.zip (4.68 KB)

Nice changes on the EA, makes it much clearer and easier to troubleshoot.

Just a purely cosmetic thing, where you have the letters SL, Entry, BE , TP, maybe have these letters in yellow, so they stand out from the chart a little bit?

Just a thought, have left your new version of the EA on my chart, will let you know how it gets on, thanks for the work on it, much appreciated.

Would be nice to have this 5 min trading strategy reduced to a 1 min strategy lol, just leaves me 4 mins to check the news :slight_smile:

curious, are you guys drawing the fibs based on ask or bid price.

Coming soon to a theater near you… yeah, I will post it in few hours. I also changed the internal identification to an input “OrderComment” + MagicNumber. So, once you switch to this upcoming version, you won’t have to be switching versions anymore, just throw the new code in and compile. All old orders should continue to be managed, once they all have the new comment with the trade.