Ema Step System

Thanks for explaining your approach, Benjimang. I believe looking at multiple time frames does significantly increase your odds with this system. I’m very aware that I just need to keep practicing, as I’ve only been trading for several months.
For now I think I’m going to try doing a little experiment with the EURJPY. I’ll only enter trades on the 15 minute time frame, and only when Stochs confirm by being in oversold/overbought areas. I’ll set all t/p at +5 pips and all s/l at -15 pips.
I know that this method is far from the ideal way of trading this EMA cross system, however it would be extremely simple. If it could net 5-10 pips consistently every day, I would be more then happy.

Why your reluctance to trade the higher time frames? This thread started out with only look at the daily when starting out and the smaller time frames were considered (as usual) more dangerous trades?

Hi Mate,

I’m not reluctant to use higher timeframes.

It is simply that the correct criteria for an entry on the Daily hasn’t been met for a while…the stochs are bottomed out all over the place, that simply can’t last forever, so when the time is right i will be in. :slight_smile:

At the moment the stochs look unsteady, CCI is camping in the -100 region, MACD, RSI and just about every other indicator are all a bit contradictory.

The price hasn’t been this jumbled up since March when price on GBP/JPY dropped 2000 pips from Januarys high. Right now we have already dropped 1500 pips from the high on about July 20th, i can see the price of this pair to continue to drop until the 234.30 area, should it break that, i can see it plummeting all the way to 230.00

As for trades today, pretty much the same as yesterday. On the 30Min, 15M and even the 5M today.

Gonna see if i can pick a few 5-pippers this evening.

At home tomorrow, Friday and Monday so will see what i can do when i don’t have to worry about my work…am looking forward to dedicating three complete days to Forex.

Will of course let ya know how i get on :slight_smile:

Maurizio, thx for posting the system and keeping this thread going, it’s very inspiring…

I’ve had quite a bit of success trading off the daily and 4 hour candles using this system. I was wondering – based on your observations – when is the best time to trade off the 15 and 30 min charts when the longer time frames aren’t offering many good trades?

I live in California so I’m GMT-7 (DST) or 8 hours behind London. I’ve been trading only GBP/JPY with the system so far, but on the shorter time frames it’s hard to get past my brokers spread of 8 pips. Any and all feedback is welcome…

Why your reluctance to trade the higher time frames? This thread started out with only look at the daily when starting out and the smaller time frames were considered (as usual) more dangerous trades? - willsucceed

I’m not reluctant to use higher timeframes. - Maurizio

Sorry guys, I didn’t get my point across properly. Of course I trade higher timeframes. I was talking about the higher timeframes only with regard to that particular day, and Maurizio has covered why.

Actually, I tried to make what I think is an important point a couple of posts ago. I feel it is unwise to think of different timeframes as being separate entities, or arenas in which to trade. There is one market. This market is continuous and fluid. Any one price movement, for example, will be reflected across ALL timeframes. I personally feel that it is important to watch different dimeframes for every trade, and my approach to doing this is outlined below.

-Benjimang

Hey all,

I wonder if someone can help me here since I can’t seem to get into the same trades you guys are getting into and actually win! As of right now (0700GMT), all my charts for the GJ pair are down and there’s no sign of an EMA cross on any timeframe but the 15 minutes (incidentally, I’m using the daily, 4H, 2H, 1H, 30M and 15M time frames). At 615GMT there was an EMA downside cross so I got in on the following candle and now this darn thing has turned around on me…! Did I not evaluate this pair correctly? :confused:

On the attached image I have my chart followed by the fast stochs, slow stochs and the CCI. Would appreciate any insight!

-Shaun

Hi Shaun, I know we discussed this a little last night, but I’ll put my 2 cents in here for everyone else that’s interested too.

At 6:15GMT there certainly was a downward EMA cross. That said, your fast stochs were certainly under 20 (oversold) and slow stochs were approaching 20. I also use RSI a lot, not really for picking a direction, but to avoid trading at market extremes. In this case, the RSI had dropped down to 20. This usually indicates an extreme oversold condition. Some might use that to place a buy order in anticipation of a retracement, but I would only use it as a warning against placing a sell order.

As it turns out, you did place your trade at an EMA cross, and in line with the current trend. But the RSI indicator showed that a bullish correction was either imminent, or not far off.

-Benjimang

I’m looking at the daily charts, and I see RSI has dropped down past 30 and is nearing 20 for GBP / JPY. I would be keeping an eye out for a bullish EMA cross, maybe at the start of next week.

In fact, RSI is down near 20 in the 15m, 30m, 1h, AND 4h… maybe there’s going to be a small retracement soon?

-Benjimang

Well, there was the small retracement! Not enopugh to generate a signal with this system, but enough to show that RSI extremes are a good indicator of impending corrections… watch your entry!

This is actually a terrific indicator for timing your entries and I find it a little easier to understand than the CCI (although I do still keep in on my charts). Good one 'mang! :smiley:

-S

Hey guys (and gals if there’re any here?)

Quick question regarding the CCI:

If you’re going long for instance, does the CCI have to have just crossed the -100 line and heading upwards or just as long as it’s above -100 and you can get in? I attached a screenshoot, GJ 30M, 0730GMT. Stochs crossed although still in overbought territory (I’ve learned my lesson!) And the CCI is well above -100. Should we be possibly looking at going long here if the opportunity presents itself?

-S

Hey Maurizio,

I was just going through some old posts (this one is post #58) But I’m looking at trade 3 that you did and if you got in after the charts stepped to the next candle, wouldn’t you have been stopped out?? it looks like the upper shadow on your entrance candle is the entire length of the cross candle…

-S

Hi everyone!

Well, I made a couple of hundred pips this morning (Asian session). I know the Asian session is usually a terrible time to trade, but with RSI knocking down at or near 20 across most timeframes, a bullish correction seemed inevitable.

I waited for an EMA cross in either 15 min or 30 min timeframes, then entered at 20:00 GMT. I went with AUD/JPY and AUD/USD mainly due to their increased chance of a bigger movement during the Asian session. I set my profit target for 100 pips (the correction looked to be a strong one, but may not last too long… not on the daily at least), and both trades were completed a couple of hours later. As it turns out, GBP/JPY could have netted at lot more if you caught the movement earlier.

I am still of the opinion that this may be the end to the surge in JPY and CHF, but we will probably not see if I am right until maybe Tuesday. Good luck everyone!

-Benjimang

The asian session is a terrible time to trade?

Anyways Friday morning i noticed cross candles pretty well accross the board on the yen crosses and many US pairs on the 4hr chart. I went long on GBP/US and EUR/JPY and made about 100 pips between the two when i was eating breakfast. I closed out early as the markets were extremely unsettled as the yen don’t know for certain what direction they are going and the pound was quite volatile with no one knowing if we have halted the massive selling or just taking a break. Still some nice pipage.

I’ve been following this for a while and see great potential but I still have a hard time pulling the trigger. :confused: I was hoping that someone could please post several charts as they are at your time of entry. It’s easy to see where to enter as the charts go out further but I just can’t get it timed right and sometimes miss the moves or they go the other way. Any help would be great. Thanks.:slight_smile:

Hey pips4me - take a look at post #58, pg 6. Some great examples with great explanations too.

This system is definitely good for a trendy market and not a choppy market. For those new to trading i would only recommend using this as a signal in the direction of a trend only. If the the markets are unsettled then stay out. Also for anything under a 1 hour chart you may have to be quick, better to stay 1hr and above. Just my opinion.

From what I’ve seen so far, it’s possible to make some gains in a ranging market using this system. Bollinger bands are definitely a handy tool for such markets.

-S

Hi Maurizio,
Below is your post # 16 I can’t seem to set the -100 & +100 lines. When I place my mouse on the line to get the numbers, the numbers seem to jump in strange increments or just stay the same even though the line is moving. Maybe I just don’t understand this indicator well enough. Anyhow, any light you could shed on this would be great. Thanks very much. Hisbride

Your post # 16
CCI.
This is an indicator i have only just started using. The way i use it is to see how far the price is gonna go before i want to start thinking about exiting the trade.
I will try and explain how i do this.
I draw on two lines, one at +100 and one at -100.
Once price has crossed either of these thresholds, i look to see how far over the line it travelled last time.
If say, last time it reached 137 before it turned around i would keep an eye out to see if price this time crosses the 137 from before, if it does, the price is gonna jump…big time…so obviously stay in the trade. If it doesnt manage to get past the previous CCI high/Low (in this case 137) then i would be getting ready to exit this trade.

Maurizio
I figured out how to set these lines. :rolleyes: Thanks for this system, I am all set up now to try it out on my demo.
Thanks again
hisbride