Emotions in trading

i discovered that you’re right (not even very much research needed)

this site pays traffic farms in Bangladesh, Nigeria and/or wherever to generate a weekly quota of new posts and threads: always the same type of trite, repeated, no-value questions/comments, the same slightly off English, the same low post-count members who never interact with others

even this, and paid traffic, can generate some short-term ad revenue, but its long term consequences eventually destroy forums completely; it’s the absolute ultimate in myopic marketing, ill-will generation and entirely self-inflicted disaster

some forums try these services, note the outcome and quickly abandon the experiment; others, perhaps in desperation, persist indefinitely until nothing viable remains, and then they typically blame the industry and its culture and/or external developments for their inevitable closure

it’s a great pity, but the writing’s been on the wall here for years, and the forum’s now not-so-gradually and very noticeably deteriorating, even as some of its competitors thrive and expand

this is my last post here (if it survives “moderation”, lol)

good luck to all, and goodbye

p.s. - download anything you might want to keep, while you still can: it really won’t be here for ever

FP

3 Likes

@flamingoproxy and @Pipsteroid - Why not take a break indeed. It’s sad that the most useful feature here apart from the “New” tab is the “Ignore” facility.

But even after all this time I still occasionally get a reference or term that I haven’t come across before. Occasionally a good idea even. But more often than good ideas are challenges to explain or justify things which I long ago decided were my Gospel: and so it’s good sometimes to have your set ways of thinking challenged.

Good luck. I hope you’ll be coming back.

5 Likes

It certainly is a shame to see you go, your knowledge through experience has been invaluable. Like Tom said, maybe step back and take a break. Let’s not let the bots win.

3 Likes

I have found that in order to minimise any emotions in my trading I follow the oft stated premise that you should ONLY trade with money that you can afford to lose.
Early in my trading journey, I discovered that Forex trading was not for me: too volatile and hard to trade successfully.
I have a small account of £1,000 which I trade in the CFD market in the DAX40. I have traded since July, initially with great success until mid September when on trading day 51, my lack of stop losses came back to bite me as the market started it’s long climb to the highest level and I was forced to cut losses. On the 51st day, I was showing a 34% profit but the reset brought that back to 17%. Big lesson: Use stop losses or else!
Picked myself up and restarted. I trade on a 1 minute chart, use Bollinger bands, MA and EMA indicators. I usually enter trades on the second candle and exit on second candle after a turn. I am still trying to work out the balance between SL and TP to give regular profit.
By day 89 I was showing a 45% profit when a very large market movement reinforced the fact that Stop losses are essential! The omission cost me £300.
I will keep trading. I treat this as a game. I have just had 4 losing weeks but last Thursday and Friday I climbed out of a hole and back into the black.
In my mind, it is me versus "The Computer! I don’t aim to be one of the 79%!!

How can you guys do this, if the forum itself produces the bots and their stupidity?

I am new here, I just completed the Pipsology School. It was great and enjoyable and very well written. It is a pleasure. But even I see also clearly, in not my first language, that the forum is full of spam, and of course more posts are artificial from bots than real from humans. It is not a “secret”?

I do not understand how will you stop this, if the forum itself wishes it to be so?

Do you propose that we give up on this forum? We aren’t the operators of this site so we don’t have control of what is allowed to posted. All we can do is keep fighting the good fight drown out low value content with high value content that sparks engagement.

4 Likes

Don’t take rush decision rather try to make concreate decision so that you have to suffer loss to a high extent that make you emotional ultimately.

I do not really know. I just do not see how you can prevent the “garbage,” as you put it, if the forum itself is putting it here? It seems a great pity, after the course is so great.

This is clear even from the post above this one. Many threads contain mostly bots’ posts? It feels futile.

Thank you for the Pipsoogy School, though.

1 Like

So sorry to see you go flamingo. :frowning: I remember you were among those who told me that I don’t have to force myself to trade consistently to become part of this community. You’ve been very supportive and I will really miss you! :frowning: I understand where you’re coming from though, and I understand that it could be tiring. But I’m here for the real people I’ve interacted with and the new ones who are just as excited as I was when I was starting out. I don’t care much about the bots and the spammers. :frowning: But if you ever change your mind, you’re always always welcome here. :blush:

1 Like

Hello maria! :blush: Welcoooome! I’m always super excited to see other female traders here. :blush: I feel like it’s easy for a lot of people to determine those who are real people from those bots. :open_mouth: What do you say we try to drown them out with our real conversations? :blush:

1 Like

Congrats on finishing the school! :blush: If you haven’t already, you might wanna start demo trading also? :smiley: If you don’t mind, how long did it take you to finish the school? :smiley:

1 Like

I agree. Just take a break! But whatever is best for you. I hope to see you around the forum again sometime soon.

1 Like

Ok for a new person here you seem to be pretty invested in this part of the website lol

2 Likes

Thank you, @ria_rose :sunglasses:

I have done some demo trading before I found the school, not successfully!

It took me just over 3 months, mostly I did about 3-4 lessons each day.

The school is really great, but I did not really decide yet about the forum, I do honestly understand the view of the people who prefer a forum without bots and spammers and all the promotion posting, so I look at others.

I am also already receiving private messages here from people trying to sell me stuff! :nauseated_face:

I wish you would change your mind, as I have found in your contributions an immensely valuable source of useful and honest advice. For that, thank you… and happy trails!

1 Like

I think emotional state is very important for trading. When I am calm and confident, I can follow my strategy and risk management rules. But when I am angry or frustrated, I tend to make impulsive and irrational trades, trying to recover my losses