Entry Placement on Stop Orders

Hi all,

I’m doing demos on the daily time frame, and place buy or sell stop orders on all my trades. One thing I’m trying to get a handle on is how far ahead of the setup candle I should I place my entry. Lots of traders say “a few pips,” but that’s not good enough for me. I don’t like being sloppy. I love quantification.

I know that entry placement will vary, perhaps among other factors, with the ATR, which itself varies from time to time and pair to pair; but if someone can help me quantify a reasonable distance ahead of the setup candle, or at least provide a rule of thumb, I’d appreciate it. I don’t want to get so far ahead of the setup candle that I’d lose too many pips, but neither do I want it to be so close to the candle to not serve its purpose, which is to demonstrate momentum in the direction I hope that price will take.

Any clarification would be great.

Thank you,
Norm

Usually when I’m calculating stuff like entry point (depending on your strategy since we’re all different) I like to add in the spread & some “breathing room” as far as in pips. I don’t like getting triggered by the the smallest margin just for it to swing on me. It’s hard for me to give a numerical value though as it differs from what the charts are saying to me. I’d say this I usually let one candle pass as “confirmation” before I trigger the set-up. I rather be late to the profit party & cash in on a few chips rather than lose the whole batch.

You could use a fraction of ATR20. This is a widely used time-span for a widely available indicator and would take account of recent volatility. As for what multiple, dunno, its perhaps going to be trial and error - say start with 0.5 x ATR20 and work back.

Thanks momoisnyc,

I do compensate for the spread on buys (and placing stop losses on sells), but your idea of breathing room is well-taken.

BTW, does nyc in your name mean you’re from New York City? That’s where I was born and raised; Brighton Beach, to be precise…

Take care,
Norm

Thanks tommor,

I was thinking of using a fraction of the ATR. 0.5 ATR seems a good starting point. I’ll see how it looks on the charts.

Take care,
Norm

1 Like

Haha nice mate! I am from NYC, I grew up in Parkchester which is in the Bronx.

Hope you’ll make some great gains!

Cheers!