Ethical trading

Excellent point there @peterma IF indeed his motive was indeed as his PR says it was (Personally I believe it probably was - and I think his work is a great help in aiding Understanding )

I am a little less sure about some others like Alfred Nobel ! - who after amassing his fortune in explosives and propellants for ever more effective weapons seems to have sought “Redemption” with his various “Prizes” - like the “Nobel Peace Prize”.

Hi Falstaff

Great post. :+1:

Cheers

Blackduck

If you have such a despicable view about traders and trading why do you do it??

An individual trader earns a living from speculation. But without those of us that seek to profit from moving markets those markets would not exist. In effect markets need speculators to provide the necessary liquidity for those financial markets to function in a manner that allows for some form of economic stability. Moving markets provide income not only to retail traders but also to superanuation funds pension funds and hedge funds. That income going to help millions of people have financial independence in their lives.

Everything has a purpose.

Cheers

Blackduck

I have an honest view of what I’m doing… no Alice in Wonderland illusions of instant wealth.

“An individual trader earns a living from speculation” gambling so to speak… I speculate everytime I stand beside a Roulette Table… I put a chip on the Black and speculate whether the ball will land on the Black for a win or the Red (Green) for a loss… quite simple really… Black or Red… Up or Down.

The Currency Markets were operating well before retail speculators where around… You do realise that all orders (yours and mine) placed through a Retail Broker (Market Maker) don’t actually make it in to the true InterBank (Currency) Markets… So, maybe explain to me how our speculating moves the markets?

“Moving markets provide income not only to retail traders” somewhere between 5-25% of Retail Traders that is… the other 75-95% lose money to this market…

Your Super is pegged to the Share and Indices Markets… owned Assets, not Currency Exchange markets… no mainstream fund would ever risk capital to the CFD Markets… they are looking for growth, dividends etc…

The purpose of Retail Forex is to relieve uninitiated gamblers and speculators of their accounts.

“Why do you Trade”?? I derive a living from the Markets via trading and software… simple.

You are right. Trading has been around for yonks from the very first tulip markets to the rice markets of Japan. Traders and or speculators have been profiting from rising and falling markets for years and I fail to see anything parasitic about it.

Blackduck

Hey. What Falstaff is totally true though. Of course, most retail traders (95% of the loser) loses their money through trading. But you are not taking there money. You are accually playing against the broker. Also, when it comes to trading, never learn to think like retail traders but always trade with the banks (the 5%), and you will be on the good side of the market. Well, but that’s a different story for a different day lol.

Heh Heh !

Well that’s one way of looking at life - there are others of course :wink:

Personally I tend towards the view that we are “Here” with the sole purpose of producing and caring for the next generation until they are strong enough to take over from us. As indeed are ALL Animals, Plants etc.

Everything else is just a game - and we can choose to play it well, badly or not to play it at all (if we can find a way of doing that )

Having fulfilled that “Prime directive” - in my own mind I am free to pursue “Understanding” and those aspects of modern life I choose to study atm are those which Douglas Murray speaks of in his excellent book “The Madness of Crowds” Plus that incredible manipulation of our emotions which we examine in the “Climate Hoax” thread.

As an offshoot of those apparently unconnected things we find a unifying root in the doctrine of “Postmodern Neo-Marxism” and the rise of the “Useful idiots” of SJW’s and “Thermageddon Warriors” - in their blatent attacks on the Western World in general and Male competence in particular.

Sadly the psychological damage this is doing to our children - particularly our Boy children is horrendous - However in the greater scheme of things Evolution is neutral and as long as we continue to breed - the “prime directive” will be satisfied and with the destruction of capitalism, if that is the way we choose to go “Male competence” will once again be released from whatever prison we choose to put it away in ! :rofl:

Hi order_hunter… thank you for remanding of 95% looser: it’s known but it’s important to remember it! And sure we need to understand what banks are doing, another very good reminder! Thank you

The dilemma here is that you dont want to make money where someone else loses.

When you make money in the markets, someone, or some entity somewhere, is losing.

I dont understand why you are spending months on this without a solution. Its not complicated.

You can simply go and find something else to do or remove this self imposed limitation and start trading.

The reality is that the failure rate in any business is very high. If this is the route you want to go.

Otherwise, your alternative is be become an employee or join some charity.

1 Like

Sadly its a case of too much of a good thing for too long.

There are two ways to learn, the easy way and the hard way and the younger generation are choosing the latter.

Cheers

Blackduck

Depends on what instrument you trade and if you are trading simply forex whether you have a dealing desk or no dealing desk account.

Cheers

Blackduck

Hi ProfitPotential… thank you for your post! It has being taking months because it’s easy to just put aside what you don’t want to think about and also because I am busy with my old mum … your words sounds clear and simple but believe me , here in Italy you cannot really say : find a job as an employee (or almost any other job that is not underemployment) I am not even young. About working for charity i’ll have a look… I guess It’s for people who don’t really need money …

1 Like

it’s so interesting, I am very glad I started this thread because I am learning/reflecting a lot and It’s so important to me to read other traders’s heartfelt opinions on this matter… finally all this thinking it’s taking me to doing it… I am opening a demo account … I realized that I don’t have many other chances and so many industries are more armful then beneficial, not only trading. So now the real thing will be not to loose money and learn, learn, learn , be steady and don’t give up . And when (hopefully) I will gain some money , I hope it will be enough to give some in charity , just to balance the impact on society. The thing I would like to understand now is which assets are ‘less ethical’ for instance I will not trade index who include weapons companies but it’s more complex then just avoiding those companies . I know this is a forex forum but i wish there was a study about more or less ethical assets out there…

Clairet, Ethical Trading is difficult - indices cover such a huge range of companies.

Ethical Investing is much easier - often via ETF’s (Exchange Traded Funds) which can be divided in market sectors - but not great for trading.

Anyways it’s a good field to learn - e.g. thinking about market risk - in bad times the sectors that are safe such as ’ Consumer Staples’ - toilet rolls always needed even in risk off times) or ‘Utilities’ we always need electricity and so on:

Today’s - you can see the picture - those sectors that went down the least today.:

Home - Unique ETF's that divide the S&P 500 into 11 sectors | Select Sector SPDRsS&P-Sectors

@peterma thank you so much, this is interesting… I will probably stay away from index and will begin with Italian stocks, it’s also easier because they are less volatile. Forex also doesn’t seem too bad to me. There are a couple of smart guys in Italy who founded a broker that give all profit in microcredit but it’s still really tiny … hopefully it will grow bigger . We need to change the way of thinking , ‘mors tua, vita mea’ needs to end or humanity will end . I am really honoured by your appreciation and your answer! :pray: