Featured Part-Time Traders: April's Picks!

It’s not easy juggling your day job and forex trading that’s for sure. Tight schedules, not getting enough sleep and stress are all part of it.

The determination that these featured traders have is definitely powered by their passion for trading. What makes them persevere? Why trade? How do they do it?

This April, we’re putting the spotlight on select part-time traders! We hope you’ll be able to relate with what they’ve shared with us and help you realize that at the end of those difficult trading days, you are not alone.

These people are with you!

With that, I am pleased to introduce to you Leandro Andrada, Mark A. Orndorff, Kumar Srivastava, Mohamed Zidan and Houssam Fayad!

1 Like

Mark Orndorff

1. How did you learn how to trade forex?

I learned to trade forex through a combination of reading BabyPips.com, forex trading books, webinars and through the generous time given to me by my trading mentor, who is a close childhood friend of my wife.

2. How long have you been a part-time trader?

I have been a part-time trader for a little over a year. I think my first live trade was in February 2010.

3. What can a part-time trader expect when juggling forex trading and work?

When juggling forex trading and work, a part-time trader can expect to trade in the hours that they can carve out outside of work. For some that is early in the morning or late at night, or it could be intermittent throughout the work day. Whatever it is, they should get to know how the market moves in those hours and trade accordingly.

Part-time traders should understand they are going to miss lots of strong moves in the market as they won’t be plugged in as much as the full-time traders.

4. What do you think makes a successful part-time trader?

A successful part-time trader will have a trading plan formulated to the specific times that they are available to trade and will stay within those parameters. Also, a successful part-time trader should identify the style of trading that suits them (swing trading, momentum trading, scalping, etc.) and stay in their comfort zone. Learning to efficiently utilize outside help, such as a trading mentor, websites, blogs, magazines, or seminars will certainly increase the part-time trader’s probability of success.

5. What characteristics do you think should a part-time trader have?

A part-time trader should be able to build a solid trading plan and stick to the plan. They should be able to develop a way to quickly identify market cycles and identify trading setups that take advantage of the market cycle while sticking to their trading plan.

Part-time traders should be able to have the discipline to follow strict money management guidelines that ensure losing trades will not take you out of the game for good.

6. What are your personal do’s and don’ts as a part-time trader?

My personal do’s and don’ts as a part-time trader:

DO…

Identify market cycles before setting up trades.
Determine if the time of day is appropriate for the trade.
Determine the size of the trade according to the risk involved.
Keep a level head.
Understand how other traders are trading the same market.
Live to trade another day.

DON’T…

Blindly make trades that you see other traders making (Twitter, StockTwits, etc.).
Over trade.
Revenge trade.
Take on too much risk for your account.
Trade with money you can’t afford to lose.

7. What was the greatest obstacle that you had during your first few months of trading?

My greatest obstacle in the first few months was over trading. I would trade every time I thought my setup was good, but ignored the time of day, news events, etc.

8. If you were asked to give 3 tips to other part-time traders, what would they be?

Three tips I would give to other part-time traders are:

1. Find a trading mentor if you can. They don’t necessarily have to be forex traders
  2. Find a couple of setups that work for you and fit in your style of trading and look for those across several markets
  3. Make some money management rules and stick to them.

9. What’s holding you back from trading forex full-time?

I have to support a family, and based on my current track record we would all starve if I traded for a living.

10. Here’s something non-forex related. What do people like to eat where you’re from? Is that also something you like eating?

I live in Memphis, Tennessee, which is famous for its pork barbecue. Almost everyone here enjoys barbecue, myself included.

2 Likes

Leandro Andrada

I like to read, I’ve read a lot of books about trading, technical trading tactics, technical analysis and even some from authors and important traders that we have here in the community.

I have been a trader since 1998. I started with shares and index but just 4 years ago, I switched to the forex market, a 24-hour open market with the idea of “no commissions”.

I’m a part-time trader and proud of it. It doesn’t mean I treat my trading like a hobby but I like to do other things in life. I’m an engineer and I like being a “mobile trader” as my trades aren´t better with my eyes glued to monitors all day.

The best idea is if I can make more money per day from the forex market than from my job. Trading offers us a tremendous opportunity to learn about ourselves. We discover our fear or inability to initiate and our greed to break the rules of money management.

One concept that I personally find useful is to remember that I’m in the market for the long haul. Instead of profit or loss in a particular trade, my success as a trader should be measured by how well I adhere to my own rules and to my principles of price risk management and my edge.

I think discipline matters more than anything else. It´s really important to take your time and not be greedy!!! You must be disciplined enough to consistently execute trades irrespective of personal winning or losing streaks and have the open-mindedness to view things differently from the crowd.

• Don’t overtrade.

I focused on two components: the edge and money management. A good general rule of thumb is to limit a position exposure to somewhere between 1-5% of your money under management. Why? Because as a trader, my goal is to ensure that my account will be able to survive long enough to return to profitability after my worst drawdown!! LOL.

• Use risk capital.

Even if a trade doesn’t work out, isn’t it better to take risks and fail than to never to have taken any risks at all? After all, not every trade will be a winner.

• Have the right mental attitude.

A trader with the right mental attitude can achieve the goal.

7. What was the greatest obstacle that you had during your first few months of trading?

I got a lot of them!!!

Bad planning because I thought every candle was mine to trade (I really had a problem) and overtrading where I risked more capital than I should have. What a terrible time!!!

But it’s quite different now. First I look for patterns in the daily or 4-hour time frames; I look for spikes and after that the consolidation. (Adam&Eve) I also use Wolfe Waves. You know these waves are based on Newtown’s first Law of Physics. For every action there is an opposite reaction. I even use Turtle Soup from time to time.

When I have one of my patterns, my next step is to setup the trade: stop loss, targets, entry point and position size.

8. If you were asked to give 3 tips to other part-time traders, what would they be?

That’s a very BIG question. For me it’s really important to make your own decisions. You can listen to a lot of people, listen to a number of views but you never have to lose your conviction.

Discipline matters more than anything else. The Siren song of the markets can be alluring but I’ve learned to just walk away or not listen to it at all. I am only passing this way, that’s all.

Don’t be greedy. Don’t let a winner become a loser.

“Take every gain without showing remorse about missed profits because an eel may escape sooner than you think” Jose de La Vega 1688

Oh, I´m very proud to be a part-time trader. For now my life is nice, I have a great balance and I’m really happy with it.

10. Here’s something non-forex related. What do people like to eat where you’re from? Is that also something you like eating?

I’m from Spain. I live in Madrid and we have a lot of typical food. We have “tapas” just before lunch and we drink it with beer or wine and after the morning of “tapas” your wife can ask you, “Hey were you drinking?” You can just say, “No darling I was just eating.”

We also have Paella, the special rice from Valencia/Alicante, Gazpacho with fresh, ripe tomato flavor. Jamon and the two distinctive types of Spanish ham: Jamón Serrano and Jamón Ibérico. And Fabada which is a rich bean stew, originally from the north of Spain, Asturias.

If I say that Pepe Rodriguez Rey, one of the best chefs in Spain, is a friend of mine, then we could talk a lot about it.

Thank you very much to BabyPips.com for including me in this fantastic website. In my opinion, this is one of the best places to learn how to trade forex. You can find a lot of ideas to trade.

It was a pleasure to be here with you all, thank you very much.

3 Likes

Mohamed Zidan

I received trading training from my company but I also have educational background. I read several books in technical trading as well.

Full-time dealing desk for about one year; part-time trader for the last six months.

First, he should expect to trade with less liquidity but higher risk. In the beginning he can have an average gain of 10% monthly with 30% risk if he can control himself.

A part time trader should be open-minded, flexible and hold himself accountable (not blaming luck and learning from mistakes).

Someone who’s ambitious, dedicated, tough (doesn’t give up easily), a good learner and reader.

DO…

Read.
Learn.
Watch.
Analyze.
Train. (Having a demo account should always be there)
Focus on your analysis.

DON’T…

Follow others’ opinion.
Depend on luck. There’s a reason for everything.
Expand your stop loss number ever!

Handling several positions right away and when news was released, everything went the other way.

1. Hold your greed.
  2. Control your fear.
  3. Read and control your capital.

9. Here’s something non-forex related. What do people like to eat where you’re from? Is that also something you like eating?

First of all, I am a 25 year-old part time trader and full time FX, CFDS, BOND, Equity and Commodities Dealer for a brokerage company based in Kuwait. I am not a broker or an account manager; I just do dealing desk monitoring and executing. However, I am from Egypt (the free Land :wink: ). Most of the day I am in front of the screens and books. :frowning:

I am a CMA (Certified Management Accountant) CFA candidate as well, wish me luck!! :slight_smile:

Houssam Fayad

From BabyPips.com and Youtube videos.

About four months.

Stress from focusing on both at first. Expect it to take time to get the right system or strategy of trading. Expect loss at first.

Patience, time management, and a strategy to make time for both trading and your day job.

You should not be emotional, be patient and like reading and learning.

DO…

Give each business its time.
Sleep to have a clear mind.
Always put a SL and TP.
Take your time to learn, learn, learn.

DON’T…

Overtrade.
Be greedy.

Managing time, finding the right strategy, trying not to let anyone know at my work that I am trading and losing because I was still new.

1. Take your time because forex is not going anywhere anytime soon.
  2. Keep on learning from your mistakes and other traders.
  3. If possible, get a good signal company to help you with your trades.[/I]

I need more confidence in my strategies, knowledge of the market and more funds to keep up with my bills and lifestyle.

Well I am Lebanese but I work in Saudi Arabia. In Saudi there is not much to do here. Mostly playstation and eating but in Lebanon it’s a lot more fun because there is so much to do. We go clubbing, attend parties and events, go to beaches and hang out in the mountains to go hunting or fishing.