Feedback about new Discourse Forums

Will be hard to get used to, hopefully now it will be possible to post images that can actually be seen?>

1 Like

I also asked the same - seems we are all starting on a level playing field, once again. Kind of annoying as a good handful of us invested quite a lot of time in the previous version.

1 Like

Thanks @zw1220. This is a bug that we’re actively working. We’ll update you once it’s resolved.

Hello @PipMeHappy. Thanks for the comments. Regarding your feedback,[quote=“PipMeHappy, post:5, topic:104670”]
as a frequent user of longer threads, the lack of separate page buttons makes the scrolling up and down a laborious proces
[/quote]

The “pageless” pages, or lack of pagination, is a thing call infinite scroll. It’s purpose is to actually make viewing less laborious, with less clicking need to move to more posts. We think it’s pretty smooth, but can understand that for some, especially if you don’t have a scroll wheel on your mouse, it could make things harder. But infinite scroll is here to stay. Did you happen to try the timeline feature to the left of the replies? The green bar can be moved up and down to move you from the top of the thread to the bottom. Perhaps this will make your navigation through the thread a bit easier. Please try that out, and let me know what you think.

This is still possible. Simply click the Sharing icon at the bottom of any post/reply. The resulting URL will take you directly to that post position in the topic(thread)

Notice the end of the sharing URL. It’s appended with the post number.

We’re pretty excited about the notification system in Discourse, that allows you to follow users (@username), changes to topics (threads), mentions of your username or replies to your posts. It’s a departure from showing who last posted, but that information could change so quickly, that the value is short-lived. Regarding topic (thread) ratings, this is something we’re looking into. It wasn’t an available feature out-of-the-box, but we do feel it’s extremely helpful in identifying helpful and informative topics. We’re looking to bring this back.[quote=“PipMeHappy, post:7, topic:104670, full:true”]
Pps: not that we need some kind of ‘status’ but are we doing away with the Senior Member, Master Contributor, FX-(Wo)Men Honorary Member labels next to members’ names, and if so why?
[/quote]

Ah yes, status. It’s something we’re hearing a lot about already, And we knew we would. On the issue of titles, no there are not gone. We’re ironing out some bugs in how those transferred over, and looking at how to best integrate them going forward. We still know who is who, and we’re looking for the best way to honor past contributions, but do it in a way that works well with the new platform, Discourse, and how contribution, engagement and other’s value of your contributions are handled. In the past, on vBulletin, any promotion or elevation of rights and status was simply based on post count. The more you posted, the further along you moved in our “promotion ladder”, opening up a handful of abilities. There have been some good discussions about why that method might or might not be the best way to represent someone as having more experience or more valuable contributions to the community than someone else,at least from a beginner trader’s perspective. But that method definitely helps to add a metric to a member’s contribution over time, which we think is valuable (and can still be seen from a member’s profile page.by all). So titles are in the works and they’re work in conjunction with Trust Levels, which are at the heart of the Discourse discussion platform. I hope that helps explain some things.

Hello @PipsDearth. If by page option, you mean the old way of displaying that a thread has multiple pages worth of posts, that is no longer available. The thread simply scrolls down on a single page, whether there’s 10 posts or 100.

1 Like

We decided on a middle-of-the-road approach when it came to moving users over to the new system. Starting from scratch would mean putting all users ast Trust Level 0 (TL0), like a brand new user would be. We didn’t do this. Based on your previous contributions, you were added to the appropriate TL and already given, on day 1 of the new platform, access to advanced abilities like messaging, uploading and sharing images and files, and posting links in topics and replies and in you reply. As for contributions of the past, including your past post count, that is still visible on your profile page. We’re also hoping to bring over the likes given and likes received from vBulletin, but that’s still early. We’re looking to use the Badges system more to highlight milestones reached and actions performed by our community, as well as to give credit to where credit is due. While member titles aren’t fully implemented yet, we think there are plenty of other visual cues that will help members distinguish another member’s contributions. Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Thank you Pipstradamus, for this and your other replies.

I have tried the green bar to navigate but personally I like the separation of pages on threads - other forums I use have this system too, so it is what seems the norm.

I understand the badge system, a bit like for TripAdvisor reviews…I suppose a qualitative system will be more time consuming to administer while a quantitative one (e.g. post count) would be more easily automated.

Thank you for the URL share function tip, I did not see that.

I think people like Lexy and me (and others who have been here longer) feel that we should have earned some sort of website loyalty and that instead we are just a number…our threads are never stickied, the forum member interviews.by Ananais stopped being done long ago, and there is never an admin member ‘thank you’ for all the effort.

While the updates on the forum look great, it is sad that people who try to be here longer face a thankless task, a sort of ‘be here if you want but if you want to go nobody is stopping you’… What would it take to publicly value such contributors? I am not talking about post count or length of subscription: some newer arrivals have a lot of skin in the game (e.g. tried trading for years) and add some tremendous value in sharing their stories or systems. Why not make them feel like they are part of something special?

I know that the Badge system may try to do this, but let us say someone got all the badges (similarly to the FX-Men Honorary Member status): what next for them?

I think Lexy was right: this site does not do nearly enough to keep people around for the long term.

I feel I should say this because it shows one of the fundamental weaknesses in the management of this 400000-strong online community. While the School is great, I think the constant churning of new members and the lack of valuing ‘seasoned’ ones makes it less likely thay newbies can ever find experienced members to ask questions to…Given that the average forex trader can take at least four or five years to figure out a profitable trading method, would it not be good to keep those people interested in Babypips so that they would stay on and be featured when success came their way?

1 Like

As someone who’s been around here substantially longer than both you and Lexy, I have to disagree to some extent.

Sure, it’s always nice to get some recognition for your effort and the quality you provide.
But then again, being here should be something that you want, not something you do expecting to be thanked by the site owner/admins.

I’m not around much anymore, but that’s what happens to almost everyone here, some sooner and some later.

Most disappear because they lose interest or money, or both. But some disappear as they progress in trading and find that they’ve gotten all they could out of Babypips.

I’m kind of like that, but I’ll never forget where I started and that’s why I keep checking in every now and again.

So my point is, being around for the long term really is up to you and you alone.

Me, I’ve been here since late 2008… time flies huh!

3 Likes

I totally respect that view too! It’s just a forum after all and there is no obligation to stay…as you say, most people get what they need out of BP forums and then leave, so it serves that function well. Still, i cannot help how I feel, so there you go! C’est la vie!

Ps: I don’t expect thank yous and hugs, but the odd one would not hurt!

3 Likes

Don’t be too despondent. Let the dust settle first and see how things work out. You are already one of the most widely recognised and appreciated posted here and that won’t change. Sleep on it and see how the inevitable modifications start to unfold…:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Guess so…thanks, Manxx.

1 Like

i like the forum now looks good to me :lollipop::tongue::peach:

How can I see which threads I have contributed to?

click on your username & scroll down through activity

@tommor Check out this How To.

For some reason the lessons I’m doing are not being recorded any more. Is this part of the new layout?

I’m waiting for @honeill and @victoriajensen to give me my daily dose of analysis for EURUSD. I think it will take a while. They must find the thread first.

1 Like

what is everyone’s thoughts of the new babypips Forums, I for one do not like it, and I am someone who likes change, This reminds me of a new pair of shoes that hurt your feet, I guess I will get use to it and the new shoe pain will go away, But for the moment I do not see this as an improvement

Love to here others way in

1 Like

I don’t mind it, but it was a shock at first.

The mobile app is a little laborious scrolling through one big page unlike the original BP where every 10 posts were on a separate page.

I already bought up my biggest concern which was the member names / level of input which is now hidden unless you visit a members profile. At the end of the day when you’re in a thread reading many contradictory answers it helps to see which members have invested the most time here…perhaps not always 100% accurate of an assumption to make, but reliable most of the time.

In fact this is the only forum I know where it doesn’t show post counts or interesting rankings, as silly or childish as this sounds it is indeed what motivates some members to invest more time here!

Yes I know we now have trust levels, but it doesn’t seem to hit the mark, yet anyway :slight_smile:

With that being said, I’m really trying to embrace change!!

3 Likes

Would you mind providing some details about what you don’t like? Thanks!

The obvious problems PipMeHappy describes above illustrate that this Discourse software wasn’t designed for this kind of forum use, where threads can reach hundreds of pages. Nobody’s going to be willing to scroll through that for ever. It’s basically being used here for a purpose it isn’t fit for and was never designed for.

People are used to interfaces like VBulletin which are designed with user friendliness, member attraction and long thread posting in mind, and will prefer forums facilitating such discussions.

To be honest, the spam and moderation have already just about put me off this place anyway, so I may be biased, but I think the switchover to this weird software could easily turn out to be the forum’s death-knell.

2 Likes