Female traders ... and why so few of us

Thanks for your reply. How I look at the number of traders is the make up of the people on the forums. I am in just two of them and both are overwhelmingly male dominated … 98% men at least it seems that way to me.

I have less than zero interest n a high stress job working a trading floor. They couldn’t pay me enough for that crap. Again, thanks.

That’s very sensitive and perceptive of you.

I’m a member of the same two as you, but I can’t tell what the proportion of female members is, in either.

These are just fake reports , if women are that good then why don’t they hire women for trading and just fire men , in this way they will be getting better results.

Each individual have their own set of skills and qualities , so you can say some women are better then some men in trading.

Don’t believe in every shit you see feminism has its own agenda.

3 Likes

The release listed five possible reasons why women generally do better at financial spread betting, those being:

• Men hate to be wrong and take longer to admit that they have made an error;

• Women are better in a crisis and less emotional because, contrary to popular belief, female traders are more disciplined and less likely to panic;

• Women can more easily say no and sometimes the best trades are the ones you do not make;

• Women read the manual, stick to a strategy and question things that they are uncertain of; and,

• finally, women are measured as opposed to jumping in head first - which men are apparently prone to doing.

After reading these articles its hard to believe that people accept these articles as facts.

3 Likes

Well, forex.com is actively hiring more women to the point they are now half of their employee workforce.

Secondly many wall street firms are trying to hire more women but there’s the problem of not very many women picking the profession (hence the question in the OP). It’s a similar problem in a lot of the STEM fields where doors are wide open to women but there’s just not very many women in those fields either.

You quoted a single article that listed the reasons why the facts might be what they are … and then questioned the underlying facts? Seriously? That’s what you got? You know I posted TWO other links that contain the actual data right? If you like I can post a landslide of more links that shows that women in general make better traders.

This shouldn’t bother you the way it apparently does.

Look, I’m not going to sit around and say that women can be just as good at football, or MMA, or even NASCAR or Formula 1 … or even should be in combat (no, they shouldn’t it’s retarded).

But women actually are better at some things than men, this is one one of them, get over yourself.

smh

1 Like

Well good luck with your facts.

There are no scientifically proven facts or data which support that claim.
Lets suppose these articles are true then according to demand and supply rule more and more women should be adopting this profession , but that’s not happening and may be it will not happen in future why?because no reality in these fake articles.

Just look at the publishing date 2012 , 5 years passed since this article published you see any increase in women traders nope.

Another way to look at it could be, “Why aren’t more women interested in trading?”

It’s been a long, long while since I’ve attended one, but if you go to those free trading conferences you’ll see that there are significantly more men that women who go to learn something about trading or to get started. These days, I’m sure it’s likely a more balanced attendance, but I’m also guessing that it’s a high probability there’s still more men than women.

Until you get the same number of women interested in trading as the number of men who give it a shot, it’s likely that number will be skewed.

Well, that’s my two pips.

4 Likes

At the end of the day there are no barriers to entry in this career - If women want to take part then they can, just like men. No one can choose or influence who gets to ‘the top’ of their game, be it a male or a female. Your own success is down to what you do, and only what you do.

So make the most of it… This is the only industry where men and women really do have truly equal rights.

4 Likes

So the fact that there actually are facts and data which support the claim is irrelevant to you. Got it. Facts should never stand in the way of a good opinion?

As for your “supply and demand” statement … if it were that simple women would be rushing into STEM professions and they aren’t doing that either now are they? Sort of makes your entire point nonsense. Want to try again and make a logical point?

1 Like

Also a very valid question. In fact I think that’s a better question than the one I asked in my OP.

I wonder why it is that more women aren’t interested in trading.

2 Likes

@Pipcrawler
" Another way to look at it could be, "Why aren’t more women interested in trading?

@Mayzee17,
’ I wonder why it is that more women aren’t interested in trading."

It could possibly be as simple as they just don’t know about it?
Not one woman I know, family or friends, were even aware of the existence of home based trading .
I think, for that reason alone, those of us who are lucky enough to have stumbled upon it, should appreciate and grasp the opportunity with everything we have and wring every inch of possibility out of it.
Just the “knowing” of its existence is, I think, in itself very “good fortune” indeed.

2 Likes

No, you are free to believe whatever you want , i am fine with it.

I will be very fair that Forex itself was not exactly the best business for small traders; it has changed in last 5-10 years with many brokers coming up. So, it’s likely that in future, it will be a lot of females who will be trading. I believe this is one of the best business for all regardless of the gender, as it’s all about hard work and level of dedication, if one is dedicated then that is just enough regardless of the gender as I said.

1 Like

@Mayzee17[quote=“Mayzee17, post:1, topic:106247”]
Seems to me that if you’re a stay at home mom with a decent level of education that trading is really sort of made for you.
[/quote]

As I am one myself now, I absolutely agree. I have another little home based business…more hobby turned business…which, due to life in general, has been an on again off again thing for some years…but the work involved, not to mention the upkeep, marketing etc…can take up a ridiculous amount of time. Great for the soul but not always for the bank account…or for sleeping!
Trading, in comparison, takes up less of my time and is more financially rewarding.
It’s a shame that it’s not marketed a little more towards us fabulous ladies!! :grin: We’ll have to spread the word ourselves!

3 Likes

I’ve actually thought about being a little more active on some of the forums for single professional women that I’m on but haven’t participated in for quite a while for exactly this reason.

1 Like

So, you came here with an extraordinary claim, and when pressed for evidence, you provide one link to a piece with no actual data that reads like something you’d find at jezebel or everydayfeminism, and another that compared how a few hundred female interns at one firm lost less money and were better at following rules than their male counterparts. And we are supposed to take your claim seriously?

Furthermore, imagine the howling and the squealing if a man went to some female-dominated space and said, “Sorry ladies, suck it up, men are just plain better at this thing you all do.” Maybe the evidence is there, maybe not, but that’s not the kind of attitude that is going to encourage meaningful engagement.

Now with that out of the way, I have a very simple answer: as freedom increases for both sexes in a society – as more options previously closed to either sex become available – the sexes self-select into their gender-specific professions anyway, despite all the propaganda and effort to push women into male-dominated spaces (at least the high-paying non-hazardous ones). A light-hearted look at this can be seen here: (I can not post links, but look for “The Gender Equality Paradox - Documentary NRK - 2011” on YouTube.)

It may well be true that women as an aggregate are better at trading than men. That would not be surprising, however, because women in general tend to sit in the middle (or just right of middle, at least in terms of intelligence) of the bell curve, whereas men occupy the entire curve, including the very best and the very worst. (Look for “Men-ARE-brainy-women-says-scientist-Professor-Richard-Lynn” at the dailymail)

Perhaps the higher average intelligence combined with higher levels of diligence do give women an edge in trading. However, the best of the best – genius men who learn diligence – and the worst of the worst are likely going to be men.

2 Likes

Because females can’t stand being wrong… So when they lose, they argue with the market but just realize they’ll wrong again and can’t take it, so they quit.

Come on we know that the women are generated by their emotions and the successful traders are emotionless, but i really respect the women in the game my mentor is a woman tho.

1 Like

Actually you apparently can’t count. I posted a link to THREE pieces, TWO OF WHICH had actual data in them.

The rest of your post is just yammering because you totally ignored the facts. I posted 3 links, not 1. Two of the links contained data.

But hey, don’t let the facts get in the way of your opinion.

2 Likes