Female traders ... and why so few of us

I can never tke somebody seriously who doesn’t know that data is the plural of datum - male, female

3 Likes

I am also a female trader but I never feel that there are not so many females in this business. There is nothing discuss female and male in this work.

Gender is not important here, your brain and ability to control emotion count

1 Like

Don’t forget focus, work ethic and perseverance! :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing those links!

I believe the OP was just curious to find out why there are fewer female traders, and I do agree that this career option is marketed more heavily towards the male demographic (and I think Hollywood is partly to blame, haha) so that may be one good explanation.

I’m not too sold on the idea that males or females have a strong advantage over the other in terms of trading skills. That may be more of a function of personalities and traits developed over time (nature vs. nurture?) plus diligence, grit, deliberate practice, etc rather than stereotypes that no longer exist in this day and age.

Of course there will always be studies and statistics but these hardly seem conclusive enough to reach a generalization. There are just too many variables to consider.

Just my two pips! Glad to see ladies and gents sharing their thoughts on this topic :slight_smile:

Yeah, because all the trading legends interviewed in Jack Schwager’s books are female, excepting Linda Raschke, she was a male. Oh wait, no, it’s the other way around.

@Verystronggirl, don’t you mean “who doesn’t know that data are the plural of datum”? :wink:

1 Like

@happypip. Please don’t you get suxed in. The OP was curious about nothing other that to promote herself and use BPs to run a scam over its members.

A spade is a spade where I come from. Lets not promote a thread when the subject matter is prominent elsewhere within the forum.

Maybe they can’t stand the boredom… :slight_smile:

@FOREX.com

Nope.

Verystronggirl’s grammar is correct.

In her sentence, she is not referring to data (as in statistics).

She is referring to the word data.

That being said, there is an a in take.

2 Likes

Touché @Clint

As always, a voice of reason :laughing:

1 Like

Hmmm… so the agenda are for this discussion.

Or is it the agendum is…

The Romans kept it simple, datum is singular, data is plural - but most those guys have left the stage.

1 Like

No I dont. data is a word the same as any other word. Its meaning happens to be a plural so when it is in use it declines as a plural – data are…as a word it is a word. Singular.

1 Like

It’s a subjective comment (like most of the rest, above) but I know fewer women traders than men. I’d say, overall, though, that the women do tend to be better and more reliable traders. Part of the reason for that appearance might be that it’s still a slightly harder industry for women to succeed in, and to be given the opportunities they deserve, so only the best succeed enough to become noticeable in the first place.

Quite right. Only the most pedantic nowadays actually speak like that. Or academics which is often the same thing. I dont. I have my own problems.

I think it has to do with what type of trading, most trading is done on short time periods, so the more aggressive nature of men make them better for that type of trading. While female investors/traders are looking for long term returns, which makes them better traders as everyone knows the long term investor does better over time than the day trader. Also women run the finances in most homes, and do most of the purchasing. So they just need to invest in what they buy

Verystronggirl,

Usually I would short cut a long username. e.g. pmh for pipmehappy, but in this instance I suspect that you will overcome what are not your ‘own’ problems.

They are merely problems that you are confronting - never take ownership :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Except your high self-esteem and bragging what is definitely a solid argument, I can cite better patience and maybe lesser susceptibility to gambling. But women lose on abstract thinking, math, operating with several objects simultaneously in mind, etc.

An impact from stress can also be different in men and women. Psychological resistance plays also crucial role in trading especially when you manage funds or trade for a living what creates additional pressure.

Peterma, thank you for that thought. I take note

1 Like

There is no reason for it because it’s about personal choice to make. If men are more comfortable doing trading then that’s what it is, I don’t think there is any stopping for female traders to do it, but if they don’t then it’s down to personal pick. I feel this is ideal business for EVERYONE and that’s especially to do with the mobile platform through which one can work from anywhere in the planet.