Fifa Women's World Cup 2019

Well, yes it’s kicked off. Looks like the pressure is on for the hosts France to replicate what the Men’s team did last year and win it. And the defending champions USA being among the favourites look to defend their title. Among the other favourites to look for include Germany and Spain.

There’s been a lot of discussion on my Cigar board about the 13-0 USA result.
Consensus is you HAVE to score as many as possible because of the goal differential
tie-breaker BUT the “excessive” celebration after each goal was too much.

That score line made me wonder, how did Thailand qualify for this tournament if they are that weak?

I suspect it is like the men’s where so many position’s are allocated per Federation.
They would be in the Asia Fed and I know Japan and South Korea made it. Not sure who
else from Asia but they obviously had, at least, 3 spots?!

China as well. It seems that compared to Japan and Korea who are powerhouses, most other Asian teams seem to drop far down in strength. Asia is the weakest footballing continent, besides Oceania.

1 Like

There you go…
I’n sure Oceania does not get 4 either? Perhaps 2? AUD and NZD?

I wonder why Asia is so weak at football. Because of coaches or what?

I’m not sure. Maybe because of lack of passion and commitment to the game there, preference of other games, for example, India loves Cricket and so is world class at it, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh also love Cricket. Thailand prefer Kick Boxing and China dominate at Ping Pong
It could also be down to economics, because a more developed country tends to be more powerful at Football, since they have the means to develop the game.

Fifa…mostly and the local federation. They (Fifa) could easily allocate more money to the Federation, and in turn to youth development and coaching and facilities. The local government could do the same if they wanted.

I heard a stat during the televising of a game that Thailand actually started its women’s national team 10 years BEFORE the US, so 1975 versus 1985. Let that sink in for a minute. Thailand is considered (at least by what Wikipedia says) as the most successful team in South East Asia.

The player pool is obviously smaller for most countries compared to the US, and then the player development track helps considerably in the US, with a thriving youth development, recreational and college-based system, leading up into the pros.

…and FIFA had Chile ranked BELOW Thailand…

USWNT with the early goal!!!

I just hope England Beat the US.

I hope US beat the England!
But I will support the winner in the Final.

For sure Asia is the weakest countries set for football because it’s not their sport at all be it male or female. How can you compete with very strong Europe and South America teams where all you have is something like few matches worldwide.

And the USWNT is in to the final! Great match from both teams!

Can’t forget this save from the first half.

The Lionesses have nothing to be ashamed of. Good match all around and
shows how far the ladies game has come.

Ellen White is a beast. I knew she’d be involved in causing issues for the US. Great passing and a bit too much space got through a couple of times. Luckily the ladies did enough to ensure a place in the finals.

I was surprised she didn’t take the PK!

I thought the same! Then noticed the captains arm band. White had technically scored the last two goals, so I thought they’d go with her for sure. Plus being on the golden boot.

The penalty will haunt Houghton, but that’s the game right. Utter disappointment and dejection on one side, flying high in the clouds on the other side.

There is no doubt that U.S.A will be favorite to win the FIFA Women’s World Cup. They have a really strong squad and they started the tournament with zeal. They had thrashed Thailand 13-0. I think that the toughest opponent to them will be France. Who are your favorites?