Forex Challenge: Can you make a living from trading via prop firm FTMO?

I don’t find any

Proper money management and trading discipline can be used to trade peacefully.

Hi Liam,
to be fair, that was not the point :slight_smile:
Let’s say that, with your strategy, you can make twice your expected maximum annual drawdown. Already a result that would be impressive and very hard to achieve in the long period.
If you pass the challenge and get $50K, but your maximum drawdown can only be $2,500, you can expect to make $4K-5K a year because of the constraints you have on the drawdown.
This is what I meant.

By the way, I have also started a challenge on FTMO for the $100K. I created a topic here on Babypips: FTMO $100K Challenge: My journey

2 Likes

Yes, you are right I think trading profit depends on money management and risk management.

1 Like

Hi Truman congratulations first of all on your funded account. I would love to ask how you earned it please help me, am also trying the challenge

1 Like

hey mate …just check my 3 older threads to see the different parts of my approach i dont want to spam the thread here
. but be aware there is NO get rich quick stuff it all takes time and countless hours of work and training …you can also dm me if u like

somehow my first answer was flagged by the mods dont know why …

Hi @tradeforex077
Any update about your adventure with FTMO ?

Alright bro, no I didnt pass ftmo. The 10% aim gave me trouble. I spent the last 6 months or so researching and watching YouTube videos and reading books to learn new material and find if I can add it to my trading to get the higher % but safely and consistently. Im thinking of trying FTMO again sometime. They increased the max account to $400k funded account so business is going well lol. How about you? Did you try it?

1 Like

If you reach 5% loss in the funded account it means either your strategy or risk management is not good. If you trade with your own 5k account and lose all of it, it means you’re gambling.

Money and risk management are seen in percentage not capital.

Funded account according to me is a bad decision mate.

Maybe for you. But for others who cant save money it’s a good idea. For eg, for ~$600 you get an account for 100k or 10k with leverage depending on how you look at it. Either way you’ve got more than you put in. Then if you are profitable you get the original $600 back. So now you have money for no input. The important thing is one being able to afford it and second to be able to hit the requirements.

I think the only way to be certain to deliver profit the next month is running a martingale and cross the fingers, so I am not interested.
Once you win the account you can trade a real strategy with realistic expectations.
AFAIK the only trader profiting every year is Jim Simons and I don’t think he is profiting every month or every quarter.
Profit from trading is uncorrelated to stocks but not smoother than stocks.

1 Like

You dont have to guarantee profit every single month if youre funded, you just need to make sure you dont break the rules. Even a few percent profit per month on a large 6 figure account can provide a descent living.

I was speaking about the challange.
To pass you have to produce a profitable month so the “underlying idea” is that good traders should be able to profit every month.
A seriuos selection would not be based on unrealistic profit targets.

Im sure FTMO advertise for “The Best” traders, which you could argue would justify the profit target.

Plus remember its called a “challenge” so its not supposed to represent an average month of trading.

So if you combine “the best traders” and “challenge” Im assuming most will agree that 10% in 30 days would be an acceptable feat, for those specific groups mentioned.

FTMO or any other firm is not going to make you rich. You gotta plan your own survival in the world of trading. Practice, plan, and be patient.

I reckon FTMO could make you rich and combined with other prop accounts, then most definetely, as long as your consistent enough.

Yeah, I think the same way. Funded accounts have no advantages for me, I guess that’s because I have no belief in such kind of trading activity. You know, that funded accounts mean that you have to manage an account with money and you’re obliged to make profits. Of course it’s required to have high skills and deep knowledge in trading as well as solid experience in it. However, I don’t actually think funded accounts worth it because if you’ll fail then you will have no opportunity to restore this account hence you will sink in debts. I believe this activity is for someone who consider risk as his/her the second I.

i am so confused that almost nobody recognizes the scam nature of these “pay to play a demo” companies.

it is almost like if i went to a nightclub and a really hot girl told me that if i give her a $500 fee that she will allow me to prove that i am a good boyfriend… of course there are a few rules that i can not break if i want to get to the boyfriend stage of the game, ffs.

rules:

dont look at my shoes while we are dancing

dont blink while i am in the restroom

no sitting down for the first 45 minutes of any hour.

never turn your head to the left

dont blink, ever.

dont break the magic rule, which hasnt been fully defined as yet.

good luck with your boyfriend challenge.

and even if you should make it thru the verification phase and become her boyfriend, she has ridiculous rules that you must follow while you are her boyfriend.

do not ever come to my apartment.

my mother hates you, so dont ever look at her.

etc, etc, etc…

i want to promise you that there are not any real live traders thru these companies.

ALL of the testimony videos are purely FAKED.

when you look at these testimonial videos, all of these people look so happy it is like they just gave birth to a unicorn.

come on man… trading aint like that.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ftmo

the one rule that these companies make that is purely ridiculous is that you must close all trades during major news events. umm… when is that? isnt that like every two minutes?

1 Like

Prop funds give you capital to trade if you pass their ‘tests’

yes, that is the traditional definition of what a prop fund is, but these new breed of prop funds are scams and hoaxes…

the testimonials that you see about these companies are absolutely faked… come on , man…

these new breed of prop companies are trickster fraud companies that only collect fees…

ALL TESTIMONIALS ARE FAKED.

THESE PEOPLE IN THESE TESTIMONIALS LOOK SO HAPPY THAT THEY LOOK LIKE THEY JUST FOUND A UNICORN OR A LEPRECHAUN…

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=FTMO

it is extremely highly unlikely that anyone will ever finish their booby trapped verification stages…

if you should manage to finisht their verification stage, they will let you play a live account that is really a demo account and then they will apply additional impossible restrictions on your trading.

THE ONLY PERSON THAT WINS AT FTMO IS FTMO.