FTMO overall costs

As i can see on their website the spreads are very low (less than a pip) but they charge a commission of $3. What are the overall costs for a 10K account with 1% risk per trade?

Indices are commission-free.

That depends on your position-size, which of course depends on your stop-loss size, if your risk is a fixed percentage.

Ok suppose I take a 200000 position size. What will be charged?(spread and commission)

$12 commission ($3 per lot per side) + spread

(i hope it was just an example and that you won’t really be taking a 2-lot position-size with a $10,000 account!? :open_mouth: )

if using FTMO, might be good to trade indices, if you can? commission-free, as Pipsteroid mentioned

I have traded such size by risking only 5 pips in forex. I am more interested in crypto at the moment.

1 Like

ah, ok - i hear you - i can’t comment at all on crypto because i know far less about it than my granddaughter! :blush:

1 Like

Is your granddaughter a trader too? :grinning:

lol, no - a schoolgirl, but she likes explaining “modern stuff” to “the old people” :smiley:

1 Like

I hadn’t realised your age until now.

1 Like

anyway i wish you very well with FTMO, if you try it (my son-in-law has been with them for 11 months, i think, now - they transfer his profit-share regularly and reliably once a month, when he wants to withdraw, so it does work!)

go carefully and slowly :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I am still forward testing my strategy. It will take a few months I believe to have confidence in it.

Is it a strategy that would work on currency futures, @kyrkar ?

If it would, that might be a much safer, better, easier way to get funding for it?

I have never traded futures but have heard of tradeday. Which platforms are you referring to?

1 Like

I wasn’t referring to specific platforms. Just to a general principle.

@flamingoproxy knows much more about this subject than I do - maybe he will reply again, I have “tagged” him, as you see.

2 Likes

if you can trade spot forex/CFDs, then you can trade currency futures - it would take you only an hour or so to learn the differences (which are all in favour of the futures trader, by the way!)

TradeDay is a good and honest company seeking to find partners who know how to trade and to fund them, and to make profits by profit-sharing not from swallowing the fees of unsuccessful aspirants (though they doubtless do a bit of that, also, since there are no entry-barriers at all and so many people imagine that they can trade successfully when they can’t!)

to the best of my knowledge Topstep and Earn2Trade are both completely honest, long-established, futures funding companies (Earn2Trade don’t actually do the funding themselves, technically: they simply provide introductions to independent funders who guarantee to fund people who have passed the E2T evaluation)

all of these (and some others) fund genuine accounts and are not your counterparty like a forex “broker” is - they want you to win, not to lose

you can tell at a glance that it’s a real account simply by briefly putting in a buy/sell-stop order a long way away from the current price and watching it show up immediately on the exchange’s DoM, of course

but i have still not learned anything about crypto since my previous post! :laughing:

2 Likes

Do you have a video that explains the difference of futures and spot? Or maybe a book.

As for crypto, Binance offers perpetual futures which sounds good to me. (No expiration date)

1 Like

i don’t, sorry

there are videos “explaining” everything, these days, i know

the problem is that they usually have no quality control in their production, anyone can “publish” anything, most have some kind of direct or indirect marketing purpose, and it’s hard to know what’s reliable … i know some people prefer learning from videos, and when you’re as old as i am, you can tell from reading people’s forum posts who has learned to trade from videos (let’s be polite and just say that they’re people who are not earning a living from trading - that discloses my bias politely enough, i hope!)

there isn’t enough to explain about the difference to fill a book, only a 1-page PDF, really!

the biggest difference is the pip-values/tick-values: with spot/CFD forex, many are $10 per pip, with forex futures many are $6.25 or $5 per tick

with futures, you can’t trade micro-lots (well, you can with the indices, not so much with forex - there’s a small-sized Euro one available, but the liquidity isn’t what one would want)

with futures, regulation and fund-protection are FAR better and safer

with futures, the broker really IS a broker and is on your side

those are the main differences

maybe (no promises!) one or two of these posts will help … :expressionless:

2 Likes

oops, sorry - i forgot to mention another big difference, as well - futures are a transparent market in which the prices are determined by trader interactions on an impartial, objective, independent, centralized exchange, not set by “brokers” for their own “products”, so all brokers by definition have the same prices at the same times :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You also don’t pay “spreads” when you trade futures.

1 Like

outside my experience, but i would certainly keep far, far away, myself …

1 Like