GAIN Capital Expands Cryptocurrency Offering with Launch of Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple and Bitcoin Cash

@FOREX.com, what will be the margin requirements?

Hi @Cryptopotamus,

Currently, our margin requirement for trading cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum is 25% offering you up to 4:1 leverage to magnify gains and losses. However, this may change due to market conditions. Our website will list our most up-to-date margin requirements.

Traders reading this thread may also be interested in an earlier discussion @Cryptopotamus and I had about the relationship between leverage, margin requirements and volatility when it comes to trading cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and currency pairs such as EUR/USD: Volatility of Bitcoin vs. EUR/USD

@FOREX.com, under the new measures by the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) ,the leverage offered on cryptocurrency CFDs will be limited to no more than 2:1.

Won’t you be affected by this? And have to reduce your leverage from 4:1 down to 2:1?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-06/george-soros-prepares-to-trade-cryptocurrencies-as-prices-plunge

Plan A: Talk the Cryptos down because I missed the first boat ride, Plan B: Buy into the market downturn on the sly…and then Plan C: Announce…hallelujah the bubble is over… Manipulation 101…What an a$$… I expect most of the Crypto’s will climb over the next few weeks…

No Crypto’s owned…But Good luck to all holders…

Hi @Cryptopotamus,

Thanks for your question.

FOREX.com is required to comply with all the rules and regulations in the regions we operate. ESMA changes will have an impact on all retail customers trading CFDs including cryptocurrencies, rolling spot forex, financial spread bets and binary options.

As yet, there is no official implementation date, but we expect the measures to be in place by early Q3 2018. We will update our website and notify our clients as more information becomes available.

Thanks @FOREX.com. Decreasing to a 2:1 leverage would make it much more difficult for retail crypto traders to participate due to the larger capital outlay needed to open a position for higher priced coins like bitcoin, bitcoin cash and even ether.

Do you all have any plans on offering “mini” crypto CFDs where the CFD value is like 1/10th the point value of the underlying crypto market. Similar to how you offer “mini” lots which are the 1/10th the size of your standard lots in forex.

For a market like bitcoin, that would be nice. Especially once BTC/USD is trading over $20,000. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Cryptopotamus,

We already offer “mini” lot trading on Bitcoin. Not just for BTC/USD, but also BTC/EUR, BTC/GBP and BTC/AUD, you can trade 1/10th the value of a coin with FOREX.com UK* [Removed due to forum policy violation]

*Spot Bitcoin trading is not available in the US at this time, but US residents now have access to Bitcoin futures trading [Removed due to forum policy violation]

No plans of owning any?

@FOREX.com Are you guys getting more crypto traders this quarter vs. last?

1 Like

Yes @purtle, however, we cannot comment on this beyond the publicly available information on the investor relations site of GAIN Capital. It may interest you to know our Q1 2018 Earnings Conference Call is scheduled for this Thursday at 4:30 pm EDT: GAIN Capital | Event Details

Oooh how exciting! I wish we’d have more crypto folks on here as well.

BTW, I clicked on the link, it’s not working?

1 Like

We tested it again just now, and it is still working for us. Please confirm whether you still have difficulty using the link.

Ah there. It works now. Sorry about that. And thank you!

1 Like

No worries. Glad it’s working for you now.

Which cryptocurrencies do you trade? We currently offer Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin and Ripple. Are there any others that interest you?

Wonderful to hear!

What about Bitcoin Cash, EOS, Monero and Stellar?

While we don’t offer those products at this time, we are always looking to expand our offerings based on trader demand. Thanks for your interest. We have noted it!

Those 3 are actually my main ones. For XRP, I just hold. Will look into what you guys offer!

1 Like

Update: FOREX.com UK* now also offers Bitcoin Cash.

*Spot crypto trading is not available in the US at this time, but US residents now have access to Bitcoin futures trading.