Garu's journal

:17:

my stop loss got triggered! prices kept shooting upwards. oh dear.
So this brings my funds to -0.45% from a +0.25%

garuhhh, its better to go with current , catch some fish and go ur way. ur risk tolerance seems too big. risk that much if probability of trade is over 90% in ur favour. good luck.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I have two question:
[ol]
[li]How can I lower my risk tolerance?
[/li][li]How do I know if the trade is in my favour?
[/li][/ol]

I have just started reading this past few months, and so far I havenā€™t encountered those yet. Thank you again nisar!

for risk tolerance, I would suggest risk dollar amount rather than percentage.
for trade to be in ur favour, u should have a trading plan. that means u must have set parameters, when to enter, when to exit. for example if ur strategy is to trade the moving average cross over, or oscillator level or price action etc. I mean u must have some plan. if all conditions of the trade are fulfilled that means the trade is in ur favour.

I have made a couple of trades this past week, but I wasnā€™t able to update this journal :frowning:
and with those trades, I lost a LOT!

My money is down 4.98%.

Iā€™m thinking whether updating this journal is still worth the time, since I spend too much time editing pictures, and trying to make them understandable to other readers. But in my case, I prefer pictorial representations of my trades, since I understand them better, rather than looking at a spreadsheet/table of trades. So Iā€™ll see this couple of days more if I will still continue updating my journal more often.

So hereā€™s my trade 4 for the month.

EDIT:
update, Dec 19, 2012: This trade is still on. It went up to a 20+pips, then went down again.

EDIT:
update, Dec 21, 2012: This trade is still on. I tried moving my Take Profit to 60 pips, since things are not moving on my direction.

Oh yeah, the previous day, I moved my SL to 150pips, since it was almost hit by a surge down. Now itā€™s moving up again. I hope it was a good decision to move my SL so it wonā€™t be hit by that sudden surge down. Now I put it to 60 pips SL.

so now, TP/SL=60/60.

EDIT:
update, Dec 24, 2012: Last friday (Dec 21), I was contemplating on moving my SL higher than 60pips, but decided to stick with my 60pip SL, amidst dangers of it being stopped --> 6 more pips, and itā€™s stopped! good thing it was not triggered! so now, Iā€™m up to -37pips.

EDIT:
i forgot to update this trade, but it met a Stop Loss at -60 pips. Now Iā€™m thinking it was a good decision after all not to move the stop loss. If I did, I could have gotten a bigger loss out of this.

Here is my 5th trade. EUR/NZD

Iā€™ve made two or three more small trades, but my take profits are just 10pips or 20 pips, so I decided not to put them here anymore.

edit: oh dear, I messed up with the resolution. I shouldnā€™t have made it that big. the forum automatically cropped it.

EDIT:
update, Dec 18, 2012: I have now +80 pips, so I put a 70 pip trailing stop to keep some of my earned pips just in case prices starts to move against me.

EDIT:
Dec 19, 2012: I closed the trade at +200pips! my largest pip to date!! :51:

Hey mate,

Not sure what your goal is with this journal, but personally I update my journal not for others (although I hope at times other people get some benefit) but to track my own performance and make me accountable for my actions. Its very easy to fall into those bad habits of over trading and not following your trading strategy / plan etc.

I also believe that writing my trades here on babypips makes me less likely to make a trade without a proper rationale behind it.

Just my 2 cents, but there are plenty of strong traders who a giving people the benefit of their knowledge e.g ICT and NikitaFX. So rather than trying to focus on explaining your trades with pictures for the benefit of others, focus more of explaining your trades for the benefit of yourself. That way when you lose you can evaluate ā€œwhat went rightā€ and ā€œwhat went wrongā€ and likewise when you win.

Good luck mate!

Bitters

Thanks for the reply Bitters!

I was supposed to imitate Bijoyā€™s way of journaling. Heā€™s so detailed that even beginners like me was able to follow his posts in his journal. So that was my goal first, to imitate him, Hopefully I would also inspire other beginners to follow well, and of course to receive feedbacks from [I]masters[/I]. But itā€™s sooooo difficult, and itā€™s taking most of my time trying to make my posts as close to his as possible.

I guess youā€™re right, itā€™s easy to fall into the trap of overtrading and not following your trading plan if you donā€™t do this journal. So I will continue updating this journal, but I might change my postings into ones that Iā€™m more comfortable with. That means I might not be as detailed as before, but I will still post pictures of my trades.

Iā€™m more comfortable looking at pictures, rather than a spreadsheet or table. Anyway, I can get that table anytime from my brokerā€™s transaction history. So what I need will be pictorial representations of those trades. With just a glance, it should be able to give me my entry, stop loss, and take profit positions, plus the shape of the chart! Anyway, I base my trades on charts alone (I donā€™t listen/read news quite often).

Thanks again Bitters!

oh! I forgot to put this in here. It actually was made together with my trade 4 and 5. This morning, it hit its Target Profit. It was a short on AUD/CAD.

I was supposed to move the target Profit further down, near the resistance line as soon as it is about to reach the first target. But it suddenly hit the first target profit this morning while out of the PC, so hereā€¦ +20pips for this one!

small pips accumulate, so its good to have some profit than nothing. plus it gives the confidence that system is working. today 20 pips next day 200 pips, who knows?

here is my trade 7. Long on EUR/JPY for hopefully for 20 pips.

risk ratio of 1:1

EDIT:
I closed the trade at +9pips. I didnā€™t expect this trade to drag this long. It took more than 4hrs. It went to negative pips, and as soon as I got +9pips again, I decided to close it.

+0.13% on my funds. Iā€™m still on -4.5% so still a long way to go!

I have a question:

If letā€™s say I have +80 pips on my trade, which is better to use: move stop loss near or past the entry OR use a trailing stop?
Of course the trailing stop should still provide enough room for movements. I might be missing something, can you please provide your opinion?

Whatā€™s the advantage of simply moving my stop loss near the entry and simply providing a trailing stop. Are there no extra costs for using a trailing stop?

Actually, my EUR/NZD trade is +80pips as I speak. Iā€™ll try to post some screenshots later to update my trade. As of now, I have put a trailing stop of 70, as I already want to keep some pips Iā€™ve earned.

thanks for any reply! :slight_smile:

Here is my trade 8, AUD CAD.

This is just a small goal of 20+ pips.

I donā€™t mention anymore the risk, because itā€™s default to 3% on mine.

EDIT:
update, Dec 19, 2012: this trade is still on, It went down, and went up again. So far Iā€™m -3pips on this one.

EDIT:
Dec 19, 2012, 5pm: this trade met a stop loss.
:frowning:

iā€™m in the same trade of eurnzd and up by roughly 200 pips. iā€™m using a trailing stop but not a fix one, rather iā€™m using hourly chart and move my SL -5 pips to the the low of previous swing. this way by now I have already locked about 128 pips. I will keep doing that until Iā€™m stopped out. thats my way of trailing stop.
the advantage of moving Sl is that if trade turned against u then at least u have a less loss or may be locked in some priofit and donā€™t loose the trade.
there is no extra cost for moving the SL.

my trade 5 was closed to +200pips! whoah?! :smiley:
I decided to close it since Iā€™m already nearing my take profit, and I donā€™t wanna loose any more pips. I have a feeling the chart will start to go down. so thereā€¦ I closed it :smiley:

My balance is now +1.8%, I still have -3.16% to catch up to.

Iā€™m currently looking at Selling EurNzd. What do you think?

its very risky to go short on eurnzd. we had a very strong up trend. may be market is taking a back step, before going for another surge. even ur stochastic is not showing OB, its by 50 mark. think well before jumping in it.

Thanks Nisar! good thing I didnā€™t go for the sell last night. almost 12hours have passed, and itā€™s still havenā€™t moved yet.

Although, I was looking previously at the 4hour period, and itā€™s showing overbought in the Stochastics last night. And the weekly view shows a downtrend of the prices, so thatā€™s why I thought it might be a good idea to SELL it. I was a bit worried about the ā€œshapeā€ of the rise, it seems all of a sudden.

EDIT:
by the way, I made a couple of ā€œsmallā€ trades yesterday with TP/SL of 20/20. But most of them failed, so my money is still down to -4.38% (edit: 6 loosing trades!! :()
I was trying out a different approach other than looking at long term pips. But it seems Iā€™m not getting the proper entry still. I will continue to try it out, and try if I can upload pictures of my ā€œsmallā€ trades.

Taking Nizarā€™s comment into consideration, Iā€™m still patiently waiting for signs of Shorting EurNzd.

Iā€™m short now on eurnzd, as the situation has changed. see my chart for reference plz.I have a very tight SL of 34 pips.and trade is 24 pips in my favour now. i didnā€™t put thr TP, I may trail the SL using H1 chart but it all depends on situation.