GB politics discussion thread

Now that Shaun Bailey’s chances of running again for Mayor of London have evaporated, the field is open enough for some unusual potential candidates opposed to Sadiq Khan. What about -
Laurence Fox
Karren Brady
Charlie Mullins
George Osbourne
???

Same guy who said that vote leave were talking rubbish back in 2016 when we were promised:
Boris promises cheaper household gas bills if Brits back Brexit – The Sun

Edit: they promised a few more things:
The NHS will be stronger, class sizes smaller, and taxes lower.

I have no idea what he promised or who believed what he said or why. Political promises are a game between the politicians and the voters - even if the voter didn’t believe what was promised if they say they did they can gain something anyway.

I’m not eligible to vote for the London Mayor, but George Osbourne would not get my vote owing to his blinkered austerity policy. Having said that, he could still possibly make a good Mayor, nobody knows.

Biden’s going to phone Putin and save the world.

So its all going to be alright.

Biden was VP, Putin PM in 2011 and they had a meet.in the Kremlin.

‘Mr. Prime Minister, I’m looking into your eyes, and I don’t think you have a soul. He looked back at me, and he smiled, and he said, ‘We understand one another.’”

Better chance it will be alright after they jaw jaw than it will be if they war war.

In March past Pres Biden was asked by ABC News whether he thought Putin is a killer.

“I do” was the answer.

Russia recalled it’s ambassador in anger at the perceived insult - then there was a call:

Reuters reported from Moscow:
"As regards those sharp declarations what can I say, we’re all familiar with them," said Putin, referring to Biden’s ABC interview.

"President Biden phoned me afterwards and we exchanged views on the subject. These explanations suited me," said Putin.

1 Like

Teenage murders in London break all records.

Where is Sadiq Khan and what is he doing to help the Police?

He is sending nearly £50 million to the London local authorities. This is intended to help them tackle violence in their area, reduce offending in the community and support victims. Apart from the fact that supporting victims does not reduce crime, its hard to imagine local authorities having a major impact in tackling violence and reducing offending. Nothing in this will deter teenage criminals or reassure parents across the capital.

years ago this would shock the nation, now it just the sad reality

Sad but true.

Very sad reality. Youth knife crime in London has spiraled out of control.

In a 1 week operation in November called Sceptre I think, the Met seized 290 knives and arrested 930 people in 2300 weapons “sweeps” at violence hotspots.
That’s potentially 290 lives saved.
Maybe the Mayor could help with financing the police to do some more of these…

Sometimes it takes boots on the ground along with the money.

Mayor proposes to invest millions to protect frontline police numbers | London City Hall

I don’t see how recruiting more police will make a difference really , I think the problem more deep seated than that . Ordinary people can see areas of society in decline while politicians squabble about who been naughty in lock down

Pupils to wear masks in class in England to tackle Omicron

Why the hell weren’t they wearing them before?

Did Prince Andrew do anything morally wrong?

It is not alleged that his accuser, Virginia Giufre, was under 16 when she had sexual contact with he Prince. That said, he is widely agreed to be a prat. Prats tend to become embroiled in matters they don’t comprehend and tend to lose court cases.

Virginie Giuffre has said she decided to speak out publicly concerning her experiences with Jeffrey Epstein and the Prince when her daughter was born. I’m sure the birth of a child means a lot of new expenses.

1 Like

Hurray! Our new Education Secretary wants to see children in schools.

Its something Gavin Williamson his predecessor didn’t even realise was part of his job.

I don’t think Nadhim Zahawi will get any opposition from the parents but the teachers’ unions have done their best to be unhelpful right through the pandemic. Unlike doctors, nurses, ambulance staff, supermarket workers, taxi drivers, care home workers, delivery drivers etc. etc., teachers got no praise for their efforts throughout covid. Is it perhaps because as soon as covid struck they all f***ed off?

Apparently she has already milked Epstein of a half a million dollars for “Allegations” and signed all sorts of “Full and Final Settlement” documents appertaining thereto … :wink:

But then Women - especially those holding themselves up as “Victims” - do not seem to have to account at Law in the same way People do ! :roll_eyes:

An Ipsos Mori poll is just published concerning the impact of Brexit and how the UK should proceed from here.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/seven-ten-britons-still-say-they-have-strong-brexit-identity

It seems that amongst the general public surveyed, only 24% think we were wrong to leave and should work on re-joining asap.

Of course, the public was split between Leave and Remain at the time of the EU membership referendum, so how do the Leave voters feel now? It seems that even amongst this pro-membership group, only 41% believe we should re-join the EU.

We can only hope this whole question is dead.

1 Like

Labour have got this one right (for a change).

It must not be a regurgitating of the leave/remain, us vs them blah blah rather it is how to maximize the gain on Brexit.

7 days back the Uk has dropped the ‘light touch’ customs approach to imports from EU - all that does is creates a more isolationist environment for SME’s who had a nice little market for imported EU goods - Labour’s approach is keep the light touch - maximize the gain.

Now GB (excl NI) importers have to ID country of origin etc, pay tariffs based on that ID - complete minefield.

Wonder if ipsos had asked small business their opinion.

But based on multiple statements to their party conference and the media, I had thought that Labour’s policy was to re-negotiate the UK’s membership of the EU customs union. Which means resume membership of the EU.

Maybe you can steer all of us towards something more categoric.

1 Like